Talion 3D Printed Dual Fan Grill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris M

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Hey guys, new to Arrma Forum, fairly new to rc cars, but not new to rc. As a small contribution to the forum, I thought I might 3D print a simple fan grill/guard for my Talion. The fans are the popular Yeah Racing dual fans and heatsink for the 1/8th cars. The grill is meant to look like the one for the BLX 185 esc, minus the Arrma logo, no point in committing copyright infringement. I guess other designs and shapes would definitely be possible. It is 2mm thick, and has a 1mm relief on the underside so as not to rub the fan blades. Material used was PETG. I printed it in silver because that's what was loaded in the printer, but if I decide I like the design I will reprint in either red or black. Comments welcome and appreciated. Thanks

Chris

Fan Grill.JPG

Thanks for all of the comments guys

Looks great @Chris M. What 3D printer did you use?
@WoodiE, I have a Prusa I3 mk3. It is a great printer and they have great customer service. I also use Autodesk Inventor Professional 2020 for my 3D cad drawing.

It is definitely not as impressive as some of the other things I have done, but it is relevant to the forum and should keep grass and small debris out of the fans.

Last edited:
I like that it may protect the fan blades from breaking on sticks and green twigs because I run through em. I have some pc fan screen that's easy to cut that I'd consider fitting over the top of this one or if similar half size came available.
Looks like Hexfly and I certainly like the design.

I like that it may protect the fan blades from breaking on sticks and green twigs because I run through em. I have some pc fan screen that's easy to cut that I'd consider fitting over the top of this one or if similar half size came available.
Looks like Hexfly and I certainly like the design.
Crimsonfancy, If desired, it could easily be made with a greater number of smaller hexes to keep out smaller objects if needed. This would eliminate the need for fan screen. I thought about doing just that. I also considered making a spacer to go under the fans to get them a little off of the heatsink, but I didn't know if it would help cooling. What exactly are you referring to "half size", like one fan?

I also considered making a spacer to go under the fans to get them a little off of the heatsink, but I didn't know if it would help cooling.

This would deff help.. Cause when you mount the fans directly to the heatsink the fans choke theirself.. I run my fans with the 10mm spacers.. Move loads more air that way

Welcome!
Very Cool! Pun Intended!

Nice piece of work and like above very cool haha

Don’t fancy making more and shipping to the U.K ?

Thanks again guys. I was thinking something like this for the spacer.

Attachments

• Fan Spacer.PNG
    Fan Spacer.PNG
    57 KB · Views: 52
Thanks again guys. I was thinking something like this for the spacer.

Another nice design!!

But, yeah im sorry, there is a but.. I don't think the design is gonna work..
Due to its all around closed design..
Fans are goin to blow air in.. But there isnt enough exit room for the air blown in to exit..
So with this design.. You will raise them.. But still choke them..

If you want to stay with this "one piece design"
Sizes are? 30mm×60mm×10mm

Id say.. Remove 25mm×7.5mm between every 2 screws, from the bottom up..
That way.. You create six rectangular areas.. Where blown in air can flow away..

Last edited:
Yeah. I definitely understand what you are saying.

I think what would be most effective, is if one were to design a shroud to encompass a greater area of the heatsink. This would direct the air across more surface area of the fins rather than just blowing air wildly across the motor.

Obviously this becomes a problem in the space available. It can definitely be done, I just don’t know if there is enough room in the Talion to do it. I guess I will look at it closer when I get home. Ideally I think one would have to blow the air lengthwise with the fins, instead of across perpendicular to them.

In fact. If the fins ran radially on the motor, instead of axially, I think it may be much easier to accomplish.

Last edited:
Yeah. I definitely understand what you are saying.

I think what would be most effective, is if one were to design a shroud to encompass a greater area of the heatsink. This would direct the air across more surface area of the fins rather than just blowing air wildly across the motor.

Obviously this becomes a problem in the space available. It can definitely be done, I just don’t know if there is enough room in the Talion to do it. I guess I will look at it closer when I get home. Ideally I think one would have to blow the air lengthwise with the fins, instead of across perpendicular to them.
In fact. If the fins ran radially on the motor, instead of longitudinally, I think it may be much easier to accomplish.

Room is indeed the problem.. I run a Typhon.. First i ran my fans directly on the heatsink.. But noticed they were chokin.. Then ive put them on the 10mm spacers.. Finding out there wasnt enough room.. Cause my body was all pushed out of shape fitting it on.. And fans couldnt get enough air sucked in..
So, i somehow needed to raise my rear bodymounts.. Found a easy way to do so.. Its all good now.. Body sits nice.. Fans get enough air in.. And fans wont choke.. Winwinwin

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back