3d Printer build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slevin

Pew pew!!
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 6s
So about 4 weeks ago I ordered a 3d printer and today I finally received a shipping notification. I should receive it tomorrow.

I figured I would create a build thread in here because why not.

After much research and self reflection I settled on the Prusa i3 mk3s kit. There are several reasons why I went with this printers...

1. It comes in a kit and I can build it so I can learn a ton during the process.

2. It has auto bed leveling.

3. It is rated as one of the best printers and I really didn’t want to fiddle with some of the Chinese brands at the moment.

I’ll document the build process here and everything that I learn with this hobby.

So about 4 weeks ago I ordered a 3d printer and today I finally received a shipping notification. I should receive it tomorrow.

I figured I would create a build thread in here because why not.

After much research and self reflection I settled on the Prusa i3 mk3s kit. There are several reasons why I went with this printers...

1. It comes in a kit and I can build it so I can learn a ton during the process.

2. It has auto bed leveling.

3. It is rated as one of the best printers and I really didn’t want to fiddle with some of the Chinese brands at the moment.

I’ll document the build process here and everything that I learn with this hobby.
Just don’t post anything about printing a certain company’s parts, might get sued.

Still haven’t received the printer yet. FedEx says today but it is moving across the country away from me so hopefully tomorrow? Maybe?
Hope they didn’t screw up and missed your package on truck, I’ve had that happen with purolator before. I’m curious to see what you can do because it’s a long cold winter here and building/creating parts and prototypes sounds like time well spent.

I'm not familiar with the prusa kits as they are sold. I have built 3 and purchased 1 (geetech a20m) and the 3 I built are still going strong.

I will say this, get comfortable with the console. Yes, I can do things from the lcd control. But when you learn all the commands you need it is faster to enter them into the console.

Look into some kind of printer server (octoprint, repetier server etc.) running off a raspberry pi. Printing from sdcards gets boring and inefficient. Tieing up a computer for a printer is annoying especially when microsoft decides they want to reboot your machine.

Get familiar with the autolevel (autotram technically) and learn how to configure it. My 3 printers use probes and I never touch bed screws or probe heights. It's all set properly and I never worry about it. I don't even need to use babystepping to adjust first layer.

Other than that good luck.

Her she is ready to be built!!

45A0CDAF-49C4-44B2-8575-01BE8F7FC5AB.jpeg
BB57AE6B-FE2A-4355-91FA-CE96D53988A3.jpeg

I had a spare Intel Stick PC laying around so I ended up mounting it to the front rail and using a USB cable. Now I can remote into it from anywhere and use Pronterface.

The Prusa MK2s (kit form) was my very first printer. Sold it and bought the MK3 kit. Very good machines and autoleveling is a plus. Glad you bought it in kit form as that’s the best way to learn how everything works.

If you need any advice, hit me up. Enjoy the gummy bears ?

Last edited:
The Prusa MK2s (kit form) was my very first printer. Sold it and bought the MK3 kit. Very good machines and autoleveling is a plus. Glad you bought it in kit form as that’s the best way to learn hiw everything works.

If you need any advice, hit me up. Enjoy the gummy bears ?
Thanks!!

my kids already found the gummy bears lol. Didn’t last long. Certainly not long enough to read the page referencing the bears lol!

Good thing they weren’t “special” gummy bears lol

Are those lm8uu bearings? I'm surprised prusa is supplying those bearings in the kit given the price of the whole. I use igus rjzm-01-08 on my linear rods.

Are those lm8uu bearings? I'm surprised prusa is supplying those bearings in the kit given the price of the whole. I use igus rjzm-01-08 on my linear rods.
Yes they are. Are they crappy? I don’t know too much about these bearings.
Made some progress today!

x axis

12ADAD68-4379-46E8-B17A-57412E258762.jpeg

z axis

EE82F682-EFB2-447F-AD7C-A7DE1F58237D.jpeg

61B8E69F-01DF-4F24-A1B1-B9C770642EF6.jpeg

I started on the extruded build but haven’t completed it yet.

LM8UU bearings are noisy and can bind once the bearings in the race get out of whack...which is really easily by the way.

The IGUS bearings are less noise (practically none on my setups) BUT your linear rods should be as straight as possible.

The IGUS Delrin bearings also don't need "extra" lubrication to be quiet. They "self lubricate" from their marketing but all I can say is they are really quiet for me and I truly have not needed to use lubrication for them. My leadscrews though needed a good amount of lithium lube love.

LM8UU bearings are noisy and can bind once the bearings in the race get out of whack...which is really easily by the way.

The IGUS bearings are less noise (practically none on my setups) BUT your linear rods should be as straight as possible.

The IGUS Delrin bearings also don't need "extra" lubrication to be quiet. They "self lubricate" from their marketing but all I can say is they are really quiet for me and I truly have not needed to use lubrication for them. My leadscrews though needed a good amount of lithium lube love.
Good to know! Something to consider as an upgrade.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back