Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Arrma RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Arrma-RC brand!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

3D rivets

Discussion in 'Paint and Body' started by Rolex, May 19, 2015.

1. Rolex

Rolex Well-Known Member

Here's a cheap trick that results in great details. Not just for trucks, but for any model, any scale.
    The scale and spacing of the rivets is determined by the size and spacing of the comb's teeth. Any pharmacy has an incredible collection. Tiny mustache combs, curved berets, BIG combs. Any size.
    This is on the tail of a 400 size Apache Heli. It's just Elmer's wood glue. When it dries it dries clear and is compatible with all paints. You can spend a lot on sheets of stick-on raised rivets but this gives you the same effect for the cost of a comb in a fraction of the time. If you make a mistake you can wipe it off with a moist cloth before the glue sets and re-do it.

ap4.jpg

WoodiE likes this.
  2. WoodiE

WoodiE Kind of good admin
    Staff Member

@Rolex that's awesome. Just looking at the photo I thought it was just paint and thought that was a good idea to make something look more to scale but seeing you're using glue which will also give the raised feel with the glue is just that much better.

Nice tip!

3. Rolex

Rolex Well-Known Member

Thanks. It sure enhances the look for those that are into super details. After painting, the decals can be applied since the real machines have markings or numbers in places that also have the rivets. Micro Mark has some amazing decal solvents that allow the decal to lay down on any surface with no bubbles or wrinkles. It ends up looking like it was silk screened on.

The tail isn't on here, but here's the rest of the bird looking faded and worn from lots of dust and jet exhaust. Note the lettering on the tail, "United States Army". Very faded. That's from being over sprayed with a thinned paint.

ap9a.jpg

Here's a lot of wear and tear around the grab handles and step. Nothing looks worse than a shiny, clean military model. You heard it first...NO wax on this one. :eek:

ap8.jpg

#3 Rolex, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  4. WoodiE

WoodiE Kind of good admin
    Staff Member

@Rolex I love your scale work, simply amazing.

Do you have a link for that Micro Mark solvent?

5. griff7373

griff7373 Well-Known Member

Rolex not using wax what is this world coming to. :p Looks good though Rolex.

6. rcnut14

rcnut14 Active Member

yea, that is one of the most scale helis ive seen. awesome job.

7. Rolex

Rolex Well-Known Member

Yep, here it is. This makes a decal go from a sticker to a factory silk screened look.
    http://www.micromark.com/decal-accessories.html

Here's my big Humm-Vee with the decals done that way. I make my own decals on a laser printer then use the solvents to set them. You see no bubbles, no bumps and no edges.

3hv12.jpg 3Dcl2.jpg 3dcl3.jpg

rcnut14 and WoodiE like this.
  8. Kyzane

Kyzane Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Senton, Talion
    All i have to say is Damn that looks nice. Makes me want to try my hand at painting a body sometime.

9. NCNitro

NCNitro Well-Known Member

Great tip, I can see multiple ways I can use this on future projects.

10. Rolex

Rolex Well-Known Member

I've just gotten back into this project and today my electronic controls for lights and flashers just arrived.
    I'm buzzing from all the ShooGoo I've used to glue the LEDs in place. I'll have some update photos of the big Humm-Vee shortly.

11. Darren Wes

Darren Wes Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Granite
    jaw....floor. that is amazing.... i will for sure try that!

• Welcome to Arrma Forum

Arrma Forum is a Arrma RC fan site that was started to give Arrma RC enthusiasts a place to come together and discuss and share their experiences with the entire Arrma-RC product line, such as the Arrma Kraton, Arrma Talion, and Arrma Granite.

We welcome all Arrma RC enthusiasts, both new and old, racers and bashers that share a common goal - a willingness to help and learn.
  • Disclaimer