3S Aluminum Slipper Plates... grease?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AimlessRC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I've tried and tried to dial these plates in with little success... its either on or off within 1/8th of a turn.

Should I try greasing them a bit? When they do slip they score up like mad. The package said grease where necessary... but thats the generic hot racing packaging...
15661548673861696870274190218225.jpg

Yes... they work... but wanted to give these aluminum ones a go. I was able to clean them up with a piece of glass and 320 grit with wd-40 and i tossed the clutch halves on the lathe and faced them back. So they're like new now.
15661605691065400962780022515051.jpg

I've tried and tried to dial these plates in with little success... its either on or off within 1/8th of a turn.

Should I try greasing them a bit? When they do slip they score up like mad. The package said grease where necessary... but thats the generic hot racing packaging... View attachment 45980
Holy shoot! That makes me want to check mine.

Holy sh!t those are worn badly. I’ve never seen pads that worn. ?

Yea... really don't know what went wrong here. Been running well, no weird noises, accelerates well, and nothing has broken... pretty bummed out. The wear you see is after 3 packs... I went back to the stock pads for a while and all was well.

I'll toss it back together dry and see if it happens again. I feel wasteful if I don't give these a fair shake.

My guess is you had the slipper a little bit too loose, only time will tell if I got mine set back up right.

I've run the same stock pads for almost a year. Like the metal spur or the 3s rigs, these metal pads (IMHO) are a waste of money.

I'll give them one more go. I only bought them as an add-on to an order to get free shipping... ?

I currently have mine at 2.5 turns out from fully seated. Will probably crank them in to 1.75 turns out for initial testing and back it out as needed.

As with any hobby, you realize quickly that companies sometimes make things just to sell them... considering there is 0 evidence these things work better than stock.

I'll report back if this happens again. If my clutch outputs get scored again I'll have to pop for a new set, not enough meat on them for another turn on the lathe without having to add a shim behind the bearings.

Should I try greasing them a bit? When they do slip they score up like mad. The package said grease where necessary... but thats the generic hot racing packaging... View attachment 45980
No grease or oil or anything on any slipper clutch surface. Ever.(y)

I wish someone would make slipper clutch pads out of the same material they use to make the brakes for nitro and gas rcs.
v_334131_01.jpg

Asbestos? Lol.

Traxxas have the same octagonal shape pads in different compounds...

They are 3mm thick though. I wonder if you could omit the washer and 1 pad and run this in the inboard spot on the spur gear. Then run a stock pad on the external spot. Should operate the same.
Screenshot_20190819-175958_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190819-180047_Chrome.jpg

Looks like team associated makes some sort as well...

Screenshot_20190819-175740_Chrome.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back