Outcast 3s and 4s guys, solution to molded rod ends!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camaroboy383

Invention is the mother of necessity!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Felony
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Typhon 3s
  7. Typhon 6s
Ok guys, I've done some extensive work in the shock department I'd like to share with you all... the molded shock rod ends on the shock shafts drives me nuts! Break one and of course the shock needs to be torn down, :banghead: be nice to change just the rod ends.. so here it is, info for a way to have normal shafts with threaded rod ends...(y)

4s stock or hr shock bodies on 4s rigs)

Fronts) 4x61 shafts #AR330496
Perch and rod end set #AR330203

Rears) 4x71.5 shafts #Z-AR330497

You will also need the socket balls, I use this kit by HR products)
#ATF160B02

4s stock or hr shock bodies on 3s rigs)

Fronts) 4x57 shafts #AR330477

Rears) 4x64.5 shafts #AR330479

Same deal, will need the socket balls by HR) #ATF160B02

Use the factory 4s springs on either setup.. also use the factory 4s pistons.. the shaft hole in the piston must be increased in diameter to at least 3mm to fit on the new shafts you can use a #30 drill bit or bore it with a body reamer gently from each side.. factory steel washer for the piston now goes on top of the piston.. gently snug the lock nut until the piston seats on the machined land of the shaft...

6s outcast shock bodies on 4s rigs)

Front) 4x57 shafts #AR330477
perch and rod end set #AR330338

Rear) 4x59.5 shafts #Z-AR330512
perch and rod end set #AR330338

use the large nero rod ends out of the #AR330338 kit for extra durability, and keep the others as spares just incase...

Again the HR socket balls #ATF160B02

I will expand on this list, mainly in the 3s line next.. it gets us away from having to buy new shafts and rip shocks apart just because we broke a rod end.. quite silly if you ask me... hope this helps some of you guys.. I know I'm loving the upgrade...

I don't understand whats going on you eman when the rod end breaks there is no way to pen the shock anymore?

The shock rod ends are molded to the shafts.. cant replace them.. have to buy whole shaft assemblies... not anymore!

Mhm in my opinion they are well designed a pair of rod ends ans shaft are like 5-8$?

Far from well designed....$8- $12 for 2 shafts.. and you have to pull them apart, and more reason for you to RIP a oring on assembly, it's all intentional designing.. in the end they make more loot... I'd rather spend 1 min. To change a rod end than 10 min. Ripping a shock down for a rod end..

And I'm surprised you havnt broken any, you seem to run through parts like crazy... I on the other hand have a handful of broken rod ends from many big air landings, but havnt broken anything else besides a-arms and the rod ends...

Far from well designed....$8- $12 for 2 shafts.. and you have to pull them apart, and more reason for you to RIP a oring on assembly, it's all intentional designing.. in the end they make more loot... I'd rather spend 1 min. To change a rod end than 10 min. Ripping a shock down for a rod end..

And I'm surprised you havnt broken any, you seem to run through parts like crazy... I on the other hand have a handful of broken rod ends from many big air landings, but havnt broken anything else besides a-arms and the rod ends...
The only thing that happened to my shocks i bended one front shock shaft

The only thing that happened to my shocks i bended one front shock shaft

Damn your doin quite well with them then.. (y)
My solution was different shocks.

Yes for sure, that's always an option.. this is mainly for the guys that have the hr bodies, I bought a set for my typhon, and I'll tell ya my luck with the rod ends is awful.. especially in this colder weather..between the 3 typhon's in the group I have a handful of broken ones.. hate throwing out perfectly good shafts because of the molded ends..

Last edited:
This is good info, but like Ed I don’t even have the stock shocks anymore. ??‍♂️
There are a lot of guys running the Hot Racing shocks now so this is really helpful.

Needs pictures though.

There are a lot of guys running the Hot Racing shocks now so this is really helpful.

Needs pictures though.

I'd be glad to take some pictures.. any specific ones?

OK, but then how are you unscrewing the bottom cap of the shock body if you're using a different spring perch?

OK, but then how are you unscrewing the bottom cap of the shock body if you're using a different spring perch?
That's one of the reasons I wanted pics, just to see how everything went together.

Usually the tool that's included with the stock shafts... ?‍♂️ and a 17mm wrench for the hr bodies.. can use 90 degree needle nose if no tool is present for the stock bodies...

Last edited:
When i think about it its going to be more expensive to remplace the rod end /and or shaft at the same time than keeping it stock

I've yet to bend a 4mm shock shaft, usually takes hitting something at speed to do so, but have lost plenty of rod ends.. the goal here is to NOT change the shaft because of just the rod end...

I've yet to bend a 4mm shock shaft, usually takes hitting something at speed to do so, but have lost plenty of rod ends.. the goal here is to NOT change the shaft because of just the rod end...
Do you know what type of impact is causing the rod ends to break? I’ve never broken one yet, but maybe I’m doing something wrong ??‍♂️

Do you know what type of impact is causing the rod ends to break? I’ve never broken one yet, but maybe I’m doing something wrong ??‍♂️

It usually ends up being landings, just like on the 6s line up.. single tire landings or barrel rolls pulling down on the arms.. seems strange we are the only ones breaking them.. arms and rod ends, no breakages elsewhere...

Idk how i bended mine i domt bash like crazy but i noticed when i was doing a few jumps a few months ago that my right front shock was getting stuck when fully compressed. I tried so hard to unbend it so dam hard that i smashed the rod end XD i jbwelded it toguetter i did not had luck with jbweld always fails when i do any repair with it but it held up until i got the remplacements
The only time i saw one shader is rasor rc when he dirrectky crashed in that part specificly in one of is videos

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back