Senton 3s BLX motor died

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studawg

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
I bought my Senton around 2 months ago, it gets used several times per week mostly at home in my driveway or on my lawn. Yesterday the motor seized up, it's difficult to turn the motor shaft even with a pair of pliers. I'm not even sure if I want to warranty the motor because what am I going to do with another crappy Spektrum motor.

I actually planned for this scenario, I have a spare motor that will plug right in, sounds smart right? Nope! Arrma pinions don't fit on the other motor shaft. I have 3 Arrma pinions, none of them fit easily on the other motor shaft. I have an Arrma pinion that doesn't even fit on the Spektrum motor... My best guess regarding the pinions is that the manufacturing tolerances are really bad. I can either try to somehow file down the pinion to make the hole bigger or I can blunt force the pinion on the motor shaft which would surely damage the motor shaft and make removing the pinion extremely difficult / impossible.

I really like the truck, it's a ton of fun and it's really durable but losing a motor this way is unacceptable. It's also unacceptable to have 3 completely useless pinions.

I bought my Senton around 2 months ago, it gets used several times per week mostly at home in my driveway or on my lawn. Yesterday the motor seized up, it's difficult to turn the motor shaft even with a pair of pliers. I'm not even sure if I want to warranty the motor because what am I going to do with another crappy Spektrum motor.

I actually planned for this scenario, I have a spare motor that will plug right in, sounds smart right? The problem is that Arrma pinions suck! I have 3 Arrma pinions, none of them fit easily on the other motor shaft - full disclosure: I have an Arrma pinion that doesn't even fit on the Spektrum motor. My best guess regarding the pinions is that the manufacturing tolerances are really bad.

I really like the truck, it's a ton of fun and it's really durable but losing a motor this way is unacceptable.
Horizon Hobby will warranty the motor and send you a new one for free. I don't know how long it will take if they are backordered though. You might have to get a different pinion for the time being. 🤷‍♂️

(This isn't directed at you personally)

Are they going to replace it with something that won't burn out in 2 months of driveway bashing?

My replacement motor was a Surpass motor that was $30 and by all accounts will last years.

After realizing that one of my pinions didn't fit on my Spektrum motor I did open up a ticket with Horizon, it's been a week with no response, I can only imagine how frustrating this would be if I was a kid and this was my only car and I had to wait months for a new motor.

Are they going to replace it with something that won't burn out in 2 months of driveway bashing?

My replacement motor was a Surpass motor that was $30 and by all accounts will last years
They will most likely replace it with the stock motor or a motor from the V2 senton. I got the v2 motor as a replacement and it's still running strong. But hey, it's a free motor. 🤷‍♂️

I just re-read you're first post. You might just have dirt jam-packed in your motor can. Mine did that too. You can take the pinion off. Then take the three m2? screws(1.5mm hex) out of the back and the end cap can come off. Pull the rotor out of the can and clean all the dirt/sand out with a rag or something.

They will most likely replace it with the stock motor or a motor from the V2 senton. I got the v2 motor as a replacement and it's still running strong. But hey, it's a free motor. 🤷‍♂️

I just re-read you're first post. You might just have dirt jam-packed in your motor can. Mine did that too. You can take the pinion off. Then take the three m2? screws(1.5mm hex) out of the back and the end cap can come off. Pull the rotor out of the can and clean all the dirt/sand out with a rag or something.
To be totally honest I want nothing to do with Spektrum electronics

Last edited:

My replacement motor was a Surpass motor that was $30 and by all accounts will last years.

After realizing that one of my pinions didn't fit on my Spektrum motor I did open up a ticket with Horizon, it's been a week with no response, I can only imagine how frustrating this would be if I was a kid and this was my only car and I had to wait months for a new motor.
Did you email them? And send proof of purchase, your mailing address and pictures or short video of the issue? I got a four day turnaround on an ESE warranty couple weeks ago. Still waiting on a server because it’s back ordered. Which is no big deal because I have upgraded those anyway, just like the extras.

But they only pay attention after you jump through the basic hoops. I spent a week pulling my hair out trying to get attention then somebody from the forum sent me the horizon email: [email protected]

After The initial hoop jumping there was just a 4 day turn around. I didn’t ask what they were sending me though or demand something better. If assumed it was just stock. Honestly, that’s one of the fun partof the hobby, upgrading, and I figured that cost is on me as well as the cost of damage repair due to any of my driving habits… or lack of 😃

Pinions? Yeah, I also get upset when I assume wrongly and get the wrong part… or fail to have the right one I need. My bad though.

Yeah I am sure a kid would be very upset. But we’re adults and we know how to handle things better. And hopefully that kid has an adult to help work through complex things like this.

I didn't order the wrong pinions, the motor shaft size is 5mm for both, it just so happens that the Arrma branded pinions don't fit. As evidence one of the Arrma branded pinions I previously purchased literally won't fit on the Spektrum motor shaft.

I did order some of those Robinson Racing pinions, thanks for confirming that I made the right choice! :)

I went to the "Contact Us" portion of the Horizon website, maybe I would have better luck with the email address.

I didn't order the wrong pinions, the motor shaft size is 5mm for both, it just so happens that the Arrma branded pinions don't fit. As evidence one of the Arrma branded pinions I previously purchased literally won't fit on the Spektrum motor shaft.

I did order some of those Robinson Racing pinions, thanks for confirming that I made the right choice! :)

I went to the "Contact Us" portion of the Horizon website, maybe I would have better luck with the email address.
Try live chat on their website. Its a lot faster.

No problem. PM sent.

It does seem like a common problem, happened to my Vorteks motor but being outside the US I had to send in my whole vehicle to the supplier. And waiting...

It's hit and miss if you get a reliable motor or not. They are made in China and well yup, you have to expect up to a 10% fail rate I'm guessing. That's why Horizon Hobbys are quick to send out replacements, because they know 10% will be sent back for warranty claims

And of course you won't see threads on this forum started by those who have no motor issues ( that's the other 90%).

How's your blood pressure?
Part of the hobby is wrenching.
Stuff breaks, and even though horizon has a great warranty, they're swamped. Extra parts make for a happier life
20210527_125002.jpg

By the way, I'm with the others who said you likely have dirt packed in your can. 😉😘

They have already responded to my email about this issue, nice.
Sweet! Did they ask you to jump through the hoops? Those three or four things they ask you to do I think are just to expedite to the next level. So shoot them the proof of purchase your address some random picture that ‘might’ be the issue and a very detailed write up of the issue.

Sweet! Did they ask you to jump through the hoops? Those three or four things they ask you to do I think are just to expedite to the next level. So shoot them the proof of purchase your address some random picture that ‘might’ be the issue and a very detailed write up of the issue.
The requirements are pretty straightfoward and my 4 year old helped me demonstrate the issues on video.

-------------

I got this response from Horizon, I have to admit they work quickly.

Hello,

We have replaced the motor. It will go out on order XXXXXX.

You should see it in approximately 5-7 business days.

Thanks again,
Nick A
Horizon Hobby

-------------

Thanks for the help!

The Spektrum Safe-D pinions do not fit a normal 5mm shaft due to their unique cutout of the "D" shaped hole of the Spektrum pinion. A Arrma pinion will not fit on a Spektrum Safe-D motor for the same reason.

The requirements are pretty straightfoward and my 4 year old helped me demonstrate the issues on video.

-------------

I got this response from Horizon, I have to admit they work quickly.

Hello,

We have replaced the motor. It will go out on order XXXXXX.

You should see it in approximately 5-7 business days.

Thanks again,
Nick A
Horizon Hobby

-------------

Thanks for the help!
Nice, I got Dave lol.
Impressed by your 4 year old! Of course he wants to get the thing running again as much as you 😃

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back