3S Chassis cutout for Spur gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpink014

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have seen some people cutout the chassis of their 3S chassis below the spur gear to get rid of debris. What is your opinion on this? It seems like it may allow more debris in however, most of the 6s have this cutout in the chassis below the spur gear as well. I haven't cut or drilled any holes yet. Anyone do this on their 3s?

Last edited:
The gear on the 6s chassis is in the open, which is why that cutout exists. The 3s are sealed (albeit debris can still get in). IMO the better solution is a bead of silicon around the bottom and edges of the housing (or hot glue if you want it to be easier to remove), but a slit/hole shouldn't "hurt" anything.

The gear on the 6s chassis is in the open, which is why that cutout exists. The 3s are sealed (albeit debris can still get in). IMO the better solution is a bead of silicon around the bottom and edges of the housing (or hot glue if you want it to be easier to remove), but a slit/hole shouldn't "hurt" anything.
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I will try the hot glue and keep an eye on the debris.

I think silicon or hot glue could be problematic, once you slide the power module in, the silicon/hot glue will spread all over the place and may get on your spur gear.

I and many others use tape to seal up the bottom of the power module and prevent dirt from getting in. This thread has a photo of someone who used double sided tape. You keep the red backing on one side of the double sided tape so it slides when you insert the power module. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/should-i-go-with-a-hole-or-a-slot.40394/page-2

I've used double sided tape. It works, but I found the adhesive can be a bit goopy. When adhesive got on my spur gear it caused a very bad noise and was a pain to get off. I had to carefully clean each tooth individually. That's why I think silicone/hot glue could also be problematic.

So, I switched to neoprene foam tape. It worked well and didn't have the goopy adhesive problem. Now I use the furry side of velcro tape. I think it works best because it allows the power module to slide easily while still providing a good seal. All 3 taping methods kept my power module completely free of outside debris.

However, others find tape does not keep debris out well, especially when running a lot in fine dirt. If you run a lot in dirt and tape doesn't work well, cutting a hole in the chassis may be better. Some dirt can get in, but as long as it gets spit out quickly, it doesn't chew up your spur gear.

Last edited:
I think silicon or hot glue could be problematic, once you slide the power module in, the silicon/hot glue will spread all over the place and may on your spur gear.

I and many others use tape to seal up the bottom of the power module and prevent dirt from getting in. This thread has a photo of someone who used double sided tape. You keep the red backing on one side of the double sided tape so it slides when you insert the power module. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/should-i-go-with-a-hole-or-a-slot.40394/page-2

I've used double sided tape. It works, but I found the adhesive can be a bit goopy and when I got some on my spur gear, it caused a very bad noise and was a pain to get off. That's why I think silicone/hot glue will be even more problematic.

Next I used neoprene foam tape. It worked well and didn't have the goopy adhesive problem. Now I use the furry side of velcro tape. I think it works best because it allows the power module to slide easily while still providing a good seal. Taping the bottom keeps my power module completely free of outside debris.

However, others find tape does not keep debris out well, especially when running a lot in fine dirt. If you run a lot in dirt, and tape isn't working well, cutting a hole in the chassis may be better. Some dirt can get in, but as long as it gets spit out quickly, it doesn't chew up your spur gear.
It works fine, you just use a bead and let it start setting before pushing it in, and especially if you use hot glue, if any does make it to the gears it's harmlessly pulverized

Thanks for the advice. I did put the Velcro on it. I will keep an eye on the debris after each run.

I have seen some people cutout the chassis of their 3S chassis below the spur gear to get rid of debris. What is your opinion on this? It seems like it may allow more debris in however, most of the 6s have this cutout in the chassis below the spur gear as well. I haven't cut or drilled any holes yet. Anyone do this on their 3s?
Easiest fix my man is a cheap gasket maker around motor housing. Or what I done was fuzzy side velcro inbetween chassis and spur gear. Not a problem since.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back