Typhon 3s compatible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gdub34

Reaction score
I have a couple spektrum smart 11.1 volt 5000 ma hard case batteries. I’d like to use both of them to make my typhon run 6s but heard they won’t fit but I’ll see. If they don’t I was wondering if the v5 6s typhon is 3s compatible or not? If it is I might run it on 3s while I get used to its handling characteristics and dialed in.?I’m going to buy a single 6s pack at my local hobby shop and always run it that way after everything is sorted like diff fluid, esc, checking all fasteners are tight, tires are glued, pinion mesh is good, etc.. ok. thanks

Last edited:
Ok. thanks. I just wanted to make sure it’s completely compatible and perfectly fine to run it lthat way if I can’t get my two 3s packs to fit or even better buy a single high quality 6s pack for it because that might take me a couple money saving weeks to purchase a good quality 6s pack from my local hobby shop.
thanks for the link. I appreciate it a lot. thanks

Last edited:
Retail Firma 150 specs say single 3s is fine. ( 3S-6S) Same ESC and part number as included with the RTR. What would be a problem with 3s? :unsure: Can't imagine. Maybe too slow, not fun? Aside from that? IDK.
I have run 3s, many times in my V4 RTR 6s rigs. Not as often as 4s and 6s. But it runs fine. ALL 150 amp ESC's run as low as 11.1 volts (3s) Any ESC checks for Under volts and Over volts. If out of parameter it just wont initialize.
Even the Firma 160 (8S) ESC can run on a single 3s.

Attachments

• Firma-Manual-EN.pdf
    634.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Yep, ESC and motor specs list 3S to 6S operation. Arrma suggest 4S as the lowest one should go.

Perhaps the Typhon is too heavy to comfortably run on 3S? Sure, it'll work but it would be underpowered and perhaps put strain on the electronics trying to push along the weight with 3S power?

I've done it many times in my 6s. One 3s battery, two 3s batteries, two 2s , and one 6s. It is indeed possible. Will not hurt anything at all.

Yep, ESC and motor specs list 3S to 6S operation. Arrma suggest 4S as the lowest one should go.

Perhaps the Typhon is too heavy to comfortably run on 3S? Sure, it'll work but it would be underpowered and perhaps put strain on the electronics trying to push along the weight with 3S power?
No strain.
It will just run slower. That's all. Sure it may not be the best voltage to bash with, I agree. You wont be doing back flips and wheelies no doubt. It will just drive at 3s speeds. 🤷‍♂️ And run cooler while you are doing it. The 6S ESC will actually run more efficiently when not maxed out volts wise.

EDIT:
A Typhon 6s weighs less than 2 pounds more over a 3S Typhon. 7pounds 9oz vs. 5 pounds 11oz
Weight is insignificant.
And a 3s BRCC weighs even more at 6 pounds 4oz.

Last edited:
I just ran my V5 Typhon yesterday on a single 3S 5200mah/50c battery. It runs just fine, a little slow but no issues what so ever. I wouldn't recommend sending it off of any ramps tho as there isn't sufficient power to keep the nose up. It'll face plant all day on 3s. Keep it on the ground and your good tho.

Back