3S Diff Rebuild Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, motor Slayer 🤘
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon 3s
I see a lot of old 2WD and 6S diff info around here but I don’t see much as far as the 3S/4S lines. Are there major differences? Shims needed? Different diff fluid weights? I have a spare set coming from JRC as well as the HR shafts/outdrives and want to have a game plan and parts on hand. If you have specific parts, shins, grease, etc that you use on 3S rebuilds, please link or post below.

I haven’t used shims in my BRCC. I used 10k front and rear. White lithium grease caked on around the diff cups. 10-15ish runs in and still going solid. Be careful when you take them apart to not tear the seal or you’ll need to buy a new one. Also, don’t over tighten the diff yokes. Just snug but not too tight or you’ll have issues and will have to take everything apart to loosen them some.

I haven’t used shims in my BRCC. I used 10k front and rear. White lithium grease caked on around the diff cups. 10-15ish runs in and still going solid. Be careful when you take them apart to not tear the seal or you’ll need to buy a new one. Also, don’t over tighten the diff yokes. Just snug but not too tight or you’ll have issues and will have to take everything apart to loosen them some.
I forgot to mention I also purchased the HR Yokes too. Trying to make the driveline as tough as I can. I’d rather burn tires than gears.

Let me know how those work for ya. Forgot to mention don’t pry on the input gear like I did my first go at the 3s diffs, the plastic is very soft lol. Another piece of advice I have is to make sure there is enough difference between the diff cup and input gear so they don’t rub. I learned that by mistake too.

I forgot to mention I also purchased the HR Yokes too. Trying to make the driveline as tough as I can. I’d rather burn tires than gears.
The next post I read about a broken yoke will be the first ? You should have saved your money on that one. Also, no shimming needed on the internals. They are completely different than the 6s diffs. I only had one issue with the internals and it was caused by the hot racing driveshafts.

The next post I read about a broken yoke will be the first ? You should have saved your money on that one. Also, no shimming needed on the internals. They are completely different than the 6s diffs. I only had one issue with the internals and it was caused by the hot racing driveshafts.
Well I might be the first to surprise you then ?? Challenge accepted ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back