Kraton 3s hot battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you run them hard they will get hot. Just don't run them hard enough to make them puff.

To late It seems that I blow $70 on a battery that puffed already. Only had It 3weeks

So what do I do with the battery now?

And what is a good battery to buy ?

And why does a battery puff so fast?

Last edited:
You just running a single 3s pack ?
And how much puff ? Has it split the hardcase ?

3s yes
Nothing split yet.
I hooked up both batterys yesterday an one battery puffed and the other didn't. It feels like it won't let the air out
I would post a pic but the website keeps saying error file is to big

It depends on the batteries, every hobbyking battery I've ever gotten has puffed a bit. That said I've used them for well over a year and they still work fine. Of course use at your own risk, I'm not responsible for any fires. If you want some inexpensive batteries that don't puff. search for HRB 6s 5000mah on ebay. 2 for 130.

Ive got 4 x2s turnigy (30aud) and 2 x 6s (70aud) all from hobbyking... One has puffed a small amount bit the rest are fine for now.
I also have 4 x2s redbacks from my local shop. 70 bucks a pop and 3 have swelled a little and one has now opened the case... Not much, but i work on the rule if its puffed enough to open a hard case its time to go....even if the cell volts are good. I just take them to battery world and they dispose of them for free :)

Id say start rumning 4s tho mate... 3s will get pushed pretty hard id think...

If you decide to get rid of it, either take to a proper battery disposal location or soak it in a salt water solution made of 1 table spoon of salt, for each 8 oz of water, for 3-4 days or until it stops bubbling. Then throw it away in the trash. I have a thread around here somewhere that has the full instructions on how to dispose of a LIPO battery.

Bull. A decent Battery rated right won't puff

Let's say it wasn't "rated right". Let's say it wasn't a "decent" battery. Will running it too hard make it puff? Yes, it will. It will be hot as hell and puffed at the end of the run.

Rather than calling bull, why not recommend some C ratings and battery brands that you think would help him out? I offered suggestions to keep his current packs from an early demise due to being overworked.

Last edited:
I had a 65c battery puff and crack a case open.
It was 32c outside and i was flogging the kraton on dirt and grass with backflip tyres on it and hit lvc at some pretty good speed.
The battery was really hot...67c by the heat gun... And one cell was way out.
C rating and price of a battery means nothing when they overheat.
Im sticking with my 30 dollar 40c turnigys for now... They work fine and don't get hot unless its toasty outside.

Have you checked your 3s with a voltage metre ?? Are the cells still balanced ?

I already made a suggestion earlier. Cheap and don't puff

Let's say it wasn't "rated right". Let's say it wasn't a "decent" battery. Will running it too hard make it puff? Yes, it will. It will be hot as hell and puffed at the end of the run.

Rather than calling bull, why not recommend some C ratings and battery brands that you think would help him out? I offered suggestions to keep his current packs from an early demise due to being overworked.

Ive got 4 x2s turnigy (30aud) and 2 x 6s (70aud) all from hobbyking... One has puffed a small amount bit the rest are fine for now.
I also have 4 x2s redbacks from my local shop. 70 bucks a pop and 3 have swelled a little and one has now opened the case... Not much, but i work on the rule if its puffed enough to open a hard case its time to go....even if the cell volts are good. I just take them to battery world and they dispose of them for free :)

Id say start rumning 4s tho mate... 3s will get pushed pretty hard id think...
Only thing about that is I can't run duel 4s bc it's not a 8s system. So I guess it's 6s r nothing

To late It seems that I blow $70 on a battery that puffed already. Only had It 3weeks

So what do I do with the battery now?

And what is a good battery to buy ?

And why does a battery puff so fast?
Many factors play a part of puffing a battery imo. The stock arrma esc has a lipo cutoff at 3.2v which i find to be too low. Over draining your cells is not a good thing even for quality batteries like smc. I recommend going on amazon and buying an external lipo alarm that you can set at 3.4v or 3.5v per cell as a precaution to save your batteries. You might lose a minute or two of run time but your batteries will last for more charge cycles as well. Draining your battery super fast by drawing too many amps can cause swelling of your cells too. All lipos swell and thats normal. Use your best judgement if you think its excessive. One cell alarmingly puffed more than another, split casings, or excessively long balancing can indicate a bad cell. Sometimes its user error and other times their delivered with a bad cell. In my personal experience i love smc batteries because they warrant them, sometimes made to order, and are tested for proper voltage before shipment which are wrote on the box. They are hardcased, made in america, and have very fast shipment times. Ive had alot of bad turnigy batteries thats all i can say. Hope this helps and good luck!

Many factors play a part of puffing a battery imo. The stock arrma esc has a lipo cutoff at 3.2v which i find to be too low. Over draining your cells is not a good thing even for quality batteries like smc. I recommend going on amazon and buying an external lipo alarm that you can set at 3.4v or 3.5v per cell as a precaution to save your batteries. You might lose a minute or two of run time but your batteries will last for more charge cycles as well. Draining your battery super fast by drawing too many amps can cause swelling of your cells too. All lipos swell and thats normal. Use your best judgement if you think its excessive. One cell alarmingly puffed more than another, split casings, or excessively long balancing can indicate a bad cell. Sometimes its user error and other times their delivered with a bad cell. In my personal experience i love smc batteries because they warrant them, sometimes made to order, and are tested for proper voltage before shipment which are wrote on the box. They are hardcased, made in america, and have very fast shipment times. Ive had alot of bad turnigy batteries thats all i can say. Hope this helps and good luck!
Ive been wondering if the lvc can be raised on the stock esc with a hobbywing card ?? Anyone know ??

And theres now an smc dealer in Aus
http://www.coast2coastrc.com.au/batteries/

Are they really good ??
Some prices seem good and some are up there.
I have a basher 6s from hobbyking which was 70 bucks. The smc at same c rating is 160 bucks... Are they worth the extra price ?
Their 40c 2s are only 50 bucks tho which is good.. Their 90c 2s are $60 and 90c 4s is $118.... Not bad also :)

Last edited:
Ive been wondering if the lvc can be raised on the stock esc with a hobbywing card ?? Anyone know ??

And theres now an smc dealer in Aus
http://www.coast2coastrc.com.au/batteries/

Are they really good ??
Some prices seem good and some are up there.
I have a basher 6s from hobbyking which was 70 bucks. The smc at same c rating is 160 bucks... Are they worth the extra price ?
Their 40c 2s are only 50 bucks tho which is good
Just about everyone at our race track has switched to smc batteries because of the sheer power and reliability they bring to the table. Smc sheds light on the "C" ratings of batteries. Its an over blown and falsified world of battery statistics out their. Some manufacturers lie on the ratings for sales. Smc rates most their batteries by continuous amps now which is a more true and consistent way of measuring a batterys potential. I personally wont use anything but them now after trying my luck with other manufacturers. (Onyx, turnigy, etc) i promise you that you wont be upset with the purchase.

Just about everyone at our race track has switched to smc batteries because of the sheer power and reliability they bring to the table. Smc sheds light on the "C" ratings of batteries. Its an over blown and falsified world of battery statistics out their. Some manufacturers lie on the ratings for sales. Smc rates most their batteries by continuous amps now which is a more true and consistent way of measuring a batterys potential. I personally wont use anything but them now after trying my luck with other manufacturers. (Onyx, turnigy, etc) i promise you that you wont be upset with the purchase.

Cool... Their price seems im between the turnigys and redbacks that i have so will give them a go next time i get some batteries since they now sell them over here

Cool... Their price seems im between the turnigys and redbacks that i have so will give them a go next time i get some batteries since they now sell them over here
Buy what you can afford, I fully understand that. For record i have destroyed 3 turnigy 3s batteries and i have 4 turnigy 4s LIHV batteries still sitting in an ammo can in my garage because something failed internally. If bought through hobbyking they expect you to eat the shipping cost even though they sent out a bad product.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back