3s lipo readings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny b

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
  2. Typhon 3s
Do these charged cell #s indicate a problem? Always balance charge with balance lead plugged in. Same with storage mode. Smc lipos. Basically brand new.

IMG_20230124_133019130_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230124_140954059_HDR.jpg

Do these charged cell #s indicate a problem? Always balance charge with balance lead plugged in. Same with storage mode. Smc lipos. Basically brand new.
Not an expert but I believe the top one is OK as it's a small difference. The 4.12 in the 2nd pic may be ok. Hopefully someone else with more expertise will chime in. 👍

Just run them and put some cycles thru them, maby they will come around and balance out better.
I run SMC lipos and never had any that inconsistent new like that.

The 4.12 reading reached 4.14 at 1 time but then dropped back down. New to lipos so just want to make sure I'm not dealing with a bomb.

The 4.12 reading reached 4.14 at 1 time but then dropped back down. New to lipos so just want to make sure I'm not dealing with a bomb.
You're not dealing with a bomb, it's off some but nothing to worry about. Run it and keep monitoring it.

Also, what's the difference between charge and balance charge? I plug the balance lead in each time anyway. If I selected charge, would it balance charge anyway since the lead is plugged in?
Appreciate all the input guys, better safe than sorry. Off to field to possibly blow a 5th tire.

Last edited:
All my chargers balance charge when the balance lead is plugged in.

I would think for SMC's that are new, they should be in better condition/ matched better.
I would do a slow Balance "Only" mode. So just repeak them in BALANCE Charge Mode. Try using a very low C rate this time. ( .25 amps) The cells may need to warm up. Might get better balancing out of them. I find that the average volt difference of all cells should always be in the Single digits. The Sky RC charger has a "Fast Charge" mode ( doesn't balance), an Old School charger, 2 line display design. Never use that mode. Most current multi-line display chargers always Balance by default. Always use Balance Charge mode specifically. I also have the V2 version The SkyRC B6AC charger. The one above looks to be an old one or even perhaps a Cloned one. There were many copies in the wild.
I would not consider the voltage readings perfectly accurate. I would use a DVM also to confirm voltages. If you don't already have a Cell Checker to do this.
I would defintely "check" the IR's of all 3 cells. Your SkyRC charger will do that. Mine does.
I find my HM D6 Duo pro and ISDT K2 Air to be more accurate than my SkyRC charger readings.
After a few cycles, you may find better readings. 3 cycles of a new lipo pack usually settles them in. Then see what you get.
:cool:

Edited.

Last edited:
Also, what's the difference between charge and balance charge? I plug the balance lead in each time anyway. If I selected charge, would it balance charge anyway since the lead is plugged in?
Appreciate all the input guys, better safe than sorry. Off to field to possibly blow a 5th tire.

It's a Manual function you Must active..
Especially on these china copycat chargers..

The circuit monitors the balance of your Lipos Only when you choice it.

Always connect the balance lead, and always select balance charge. Never charge a LiPo using just Charge mode, or with the balance lead disconnected, IMO. In that scenario, a cell can go above 4.20V, and the charger has no way of knowing, and cannot prevent that. It's a safety hazard.

That 4.12V is pretty low, to me. But it's not a terribly high-end charger. I would have still expected it to be closer to 4.20V, but maybe the charger has a time-limit set, for instance, and hit a 60 minute limit (or whatever) before it finished balancing.

Each balance charge cycle will give the charger an additional chance to balance the cells, I'm hoping they'll get closer over time, as you cycle them. At the fully-charged voltage. I don't worry about trying to balance them at storage voltage, for instance.

And as was touched on, the voltages shown may not truly be accurate. "4.20V" here might measure 4.15V on a good meter. But, this charger only knows its own readings, which should all be targeting 4.20V. Even if that's really only 4.10V. So they should be displaying close to 4.20V, even if measuring with another tool shows something different.

A lot could be at play here, if it's a knock off charger the values you see on the screen are likely not accurate and even worse the charging/charged voltages would be off too.

I have an OG Thunder AC6 that was pretty spot on calibration wise but alot of these subsequent copies worry me a bit.

I think SkyRC had to do a unique serial number method to verify authenticity on their website.

That being said your charger could be spot on but I would definitely try to verify value with a good multimeter to compare.

For the B6AC chargers, there is a balance charge and a regular "charge" mode. If you haven't, you'll need to select balance charge in order to get it balanced out right in the end as it's charging. The regular charge mode is fairly antiquated and shouldn't really be used for lipos.

There should also be an IR measurement function. Use that to get a rough idea of how the battery health is. If one of the cells is way higher then the other, something might be up.

I appreciate all the input guys. I have 2 of these same chargers. The one shown is 15 yrs old....still going strong. The other I just got last week brand new. I switched my 2 batteries to opposite chargers just 2 see if I get the same readings and indeed I do, which tells me if the chargers are off, at least there consistent lol. Somewhat different outcome when I finalize the storage mode .....both batteries and all 6 cells settle in at 3.82 or 3.83 respectably. I realize there cheap chargers but for my use, it works. THANKS!
For the B6AC chargers, there is a balance charge and a regular "charge" mode. If you haven't, you'll need to select balance charge in order to get it balanced out right in the end as it's charging. The regular charge mode is fairly antiquated and shouldn't really be used for lipos.

There should also be an IR measurement function. Use that to get a rough idea of how the battery health is. If one of the cells is way higher then the other, something might be up.
Yes indeed, regarding your first paragraph, that's exactly what I do.You answered my second question as well as Tex. Thanks!
I would be surprised if it balanced charged, when you selected a mode that did not require the balance lead to be connected.
Won't take that chance. Always connect and balance.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back