3s Motor stress and light burt smell…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
The 3S 3670, 2659 surpass motor on my vorteks experienced a motor mount shift and the was running under heavy mesh for about 8 minutes before I figured it out. As I pulled the motor later I noticed a bit of bad burnt electrical smell.

Did I hurt or kill it? Still seems to operate smooth by hand. Just that smell..can’t be good even though it’s not very strong. Is it ok to run?

You'll probably need to disassemble the motor ,do a visual inspection. Then give it a cleaning with some CRC Electronic Cleaner ,at the very least.

CRC Electronic Cleaner.jpg

Cause that smell..
Just like the "smoke" you let out of electronic components..
Once you see/notice it, it's usually ALWAYS Not a good sign....

You'll probably need to disassemble the motor ,do a visual inspection. Then give it a cleaning with some CRC Electronic Cleaner ,at the very least.

View attachment 209472

Cause that smell..
Just like the "smoke" you let out of electronic components..
Once you see/notice it, it's usually ALWAYS Not a good sign....
Ok cool I have That exact one. Thanks man!

I would run it. Surpass motors aren't very expensive so even if it does burn up, it is easily replaceable. Plus, weren't you thinking about changing it to a Hobbystar 3050kv motor anyway?

I would run it. Surpass motors aren't very expensive so even if it does burn up, it is easily replaceable. Plus, weren't you thinking about changing it to a Hobbystar 3050kv motor anyway?
Lol You got a good memory my friend. Yes, I’ve got a new 3665, 3050 kv hobby star I’m going to install today. The surpass 3670,2650kv I plan on putting in my wife’s big rock so I just want to make sure it’s okay. She rarely runs the car more than 50% anyway so all should be fine. And you’re right, they are cheap so it really doesn’t matter.
If the rotor still looks OK I would still run it, but reduce that 'heavy gearing' ;) and check temps more frequently untill you feel comfortable they are not too high.
Yep, dug up a new motor mount from my parts box and all should be good. Like I mentioned to Kla, this motor will go in my wife’s truck so it won’t be stressed at all. That’s a good point though I’ll watch it close on temperatures. Mainly I think I was wondering if a damage motor could short out and cause damage to the Esc. Doesn’t sound like it though. Much appreciated!

Lol You got a good memory my friend. Yes, I’ve got a new 3665, 3050 kv hobby star I’m going to install today. The surpass 3670,2650kv I plan on putting in my wife’s big rock so I just want to make sure it’s okay. She rarely runs the car more than 50% anyway so all should be fine. And you’re right, they are cheap so it really doesn’t matter.

Yep, dug up a new motor mount from my parts box and all should be good. Like I mentioned to Kla, this motor will go in my wife’s truck so it won’t be stressed at all. That’s a good point though I’ll watch it close on temperatures. Mainly I think I was wondering if a damage motor could short out and cause damage to the Esc. Doesn’t sound like it though. Much appreciated!
👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back