3S Pinion and Spur gear questions: Safe-D vs Standard compatibility; Metal Spur upgrade

FlipSide

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Vorteks
Hello, I searched, but couldn't find the answer.

- Can I use a standard pinion (ex.: https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310424 ) with a new 3S V3 having the Safe-D system, or do I have to use the Safe-D version ( https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA310998 )? I presume the motor shaft is the same and either can work. Am I right? Thanks!

- If I change the plastic spur on an Arrma 3S for a metal one ( https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA310945 ), I think I only need to add a slipper pad in the slipper assembly, right? Can I use the stock 0.8mod pinion directly, or should I upgrade the pinion to a harder material also?

Thanks a lot!

Engineer

Sub-Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Voltage
Yes, you can use a standard pinion with the new Spektrum motors.

Also correct - you need to add a slipper pad. Using the stock pinion should be fine - I would just check it for wear and use a new one if it's worn excessively.

Kla912000

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 3s
Yes you can use a standard pinion on a Spektrum motor, but, you cannot use a Safe-D pinion on an aftermarket motor. I have a Hobbystar motor in my Big Rock and even though it has a 5mm shaft the stock Safe-D pinion gear would not fit on it. The "D" cutout on the inside of the stock pinion gear is different than the Hobbystar shaft.

vader

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Yes you can use a standard pinion on a Spektrum motor, but, you cannot use a Safe-D pinion on an aftermarket motor. I have a Hobbystar motor in my Big Rock and even though it has a 5mm shaft the stock Safe-D pinion gear would not fit on it. The "D" cutout on the inside of the stock pinion gear is different than the Hobbystar shaft.
A few swipes with a dremel on the flat side and you should have no problems , it’s what I done on my hobby wing 3660

Ruzty1311

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 3s
I did notice that after adding my metal spur gear and metal pads that it's a bit more touchy to adjust the slipper clutch. I wasn't sure if I could use the plastic pads with the metal spur gear so that's why I went with the metal pads. Can anybody confirm that you can use the plastic pads on the metal spur gear?

slick2500

If it ain't broke, you're doing it wrong.
Community Leader
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
  2. Senton 3s
  3. Typhon 3s
I did notice that after adding my metal spur gear and metal pads that it's a bit more touchy to adjust the slipper clutch. I wasn't sure if I could use the plastic pads with the metal spur gear so that's why I went with the metal pads. Can anybody confirm that you can use the plastic pads on the metal spur gear?
If you bought the Hot Racing slipper pads just go back tot he stock ones, the Hot Racing slipper pads are a pain in the ass to set and even if you get it set they don't work right. Yes you can use the plastic slipper pads on the metal spur.

Ruzty1311

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 3s
If you bought the Hot Racing slipper pads just go back tot he stock ones, the Hot Racing slipper pads are a pain in the ass to set and even if you get it set they don't work right. Yes you can use the plastic slipper pads on the metal spur.
Ok I have enough plastic ones to throw in there so I'll try going back to that! 4 of them instead of 3 right?

slick2500

Community Leader
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
  2. Senton 3s
  3. Typhon 3s
Ok I have enough plastic ones to throw in there so I'll try going back to that! 4 of them instead of 3 right?
Both of my 3s models only have 3 pads but I bought some new pads for my desert buggy and since they come in a 4 pack I'm going to try 4 and see if it makes any difference.

Ruzty1311

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 3s
Both of my 3s models only have 3 pads but I bought some new pads for my desert buggy and since they come in a 4 pack I'm going to try 4 and see if it makes any difference.
Hmmm I thought I had heard that you needed to add an extra one for the metal spur gear?

slick2500

Community Leader
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
  2. Senton 3s
  3. Typhon 3s
Hmmm I thought I had heard that you needed to add an extra one for the metal spur gear?
🤷‍♂️ My DB has had the Hot Racing spur in it for 2 years now and I've not had any problems. The only models that come factory with 4 are the 4s models.

FlipSide

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Vorteks
I heard about adding another slipper pad in a vid from Earl Moorhead I saw a few days ago. His explanation is that the Arrma metal spur is thinner than the plastic one. Adding a slipper pad compensates for that and effectively works as a spacer.

At 0:50: