3S Pinion and Spur gear questions: Safe-D vs Standard compatibility; Metal Spur upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipSide

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Vorteks
Hello, I searched, but couldn't find the answer.

- Can I use a standard pinion (ex.: https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310424 ) with a new 3S V3 having the Safe-D system, or do I have to use the Safe-D version ( https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA310998 )? I presume the motor shaft is the same and either can work. Am I right? Thanks!

- If I change the plastic spur on an Arrma 3S for a metal one ( https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA310945 ), I think I only need to add a slipper pad in the slipper assembly, right? Can I use the stock 0.8mod pinion directly, or should I upgrade the pinion to a harder material also?

Thanks a lot!

Yes, you can use a standard pinion with the new Spektrum motors.

Also correct - you need to add a slipper pad. Using the stock pinion should be fine - I would just check it for wear and use a new one if it's worn excessively.

Yes you can use a standard pinion on a Spektrum motor, but, you cannot use a Safe-D pinion on an aftermarket motor. I have a Hobbystar motor in my Big Rock and even though it has a 5mm shaft the stock Safe-D pinion gear would not fit on it. The "D" cutout on the inside of the stock pinion gear is different than the Hobbystar shaft.

Yes you can use a standard pinion on a Spektrum motor, but, you cannot use a Safe-D pinion on an aftermarket motor. I have a Hobbystar motor in my Big Rock and even though it has a 5mm shaft the stock Safe-D pinion gear would not fit on it. The "D" cutout on the inside of the stock pinion gear is different than the Hobbystar shaft.
A few swipes with a dremel on the flat side and you should have no problems , it’s what I done on my hobby wing 3660

I did notice that after adding my metal spur gear and metal pads that it's a bit more touchy to adjust the slipper clutch. I wasn't sure if I could use the plastic pads with the metal spur gear so that's why I went with the metal pads. Can anybody confirm that you can use the plastic pads on the metal spur gear?

I did notice that after adding my metal spur gear and metal pads that it's a bit more touchy to adjust the slipper clutch. I wasn't sure if I could use the plastic pads with the metal spur gear so that's why I went with the metal pads. Can anybody confirm that you can use the plastic pads on the metal spur gear?
If you bought the Hot Racing slipper pads just go back tot he stock ones, the Hot Racing slipper pads are a pain in the ass to set and even if you get it set they don't work right. Yes you can use the plastic slipper pads on the metal spur.

If you bought the Hot Racing slipper pads just go back tot he stock ones, the Hot Racing slipper pads are a pain in the ass to set and even if you get it set they don't work right. Yes you can use the plastic slipper pads on the metal spur.
Ok I have enough plastic ones to throw in there so I'll try going back to that! 4 of them instead of 3 right?

Ok I have enough plastic ones to throw in there so I'll try going back to that! 4 of them instead of 3 right?
Both of my 3s models only have 3 pads but I bought some new pads for my desert buggy and since they come in a 4 pack I'm going to try 4 and see if it makes any difference.

Both of my 3s models only have 3 pads but I bought some new pads for my desert buggy and since they come in a 4 pack I'm going to try 4 and see if it makes any difference.
Hmmm I thought I had heard that you needed to add an extra one for the metal spur gear?

Hmmm I thought I had heard that you needed to add an extra one for the metal spur gear?
🤷‍♂️ My DB has had the Hot Racing spur in it for 2 years now and I've not had any problems. The only models that come factory with 4 are the 4s models.

I heard about adding another slipper pad in a vid from Earl Moorhead I saw a few days ago. His explanation is that the Arrma metal spur is thinner than the plastic one. Adding a slipper pad compensates for that and effectively works as a spacer.

At 0:50:

A few swipes with a dremel on the flat side and you should have no problems , it’s what I done on my hobby wing 3660
I have a 15t stock pinion for the granite I got from Jenny's I have a hw ezrun 3660 on the way with a 5mm shaft. They're not compatible?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back