3s vs 2s low voltage cut off.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redone

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hey all , got a Granite 3s blx a couple weeks ago , really like the truck. As I'm new to this can someone who's been around explain what's happening & why . To start with battery conditions are as they should be.
Why will my truck take 2s batteries down to 3.4 volts but only take 3s batteries down to 3.78 ?

I don’t know why that happens.
Does your esc have a 2 stage low voltage cutoff?
I believe it must be 2 stage , it just starts going slowly , I suspect if I kept trying to run it at some point it would stop.
Primary Battery is Lectron Pro 3s 5200 50c
11 - 12 minutes multi throttle stages ,
Cut off 3.78 v Same battery but 2s runs 20 minutes driven same way , cuts out at
3.4 v. The world will keep turning just wondered why 2 different low voltage cut off's

Just did some research and I noticed more people have the same problem when running on 3s. 2s has normal runtime, while 3s is much shorter and cuts off way earlier.
Problem is, after some runtime, your battery will reach a certain voltage level. If you then push the throttle really hard it will cause a voltage drop which probably reaches under the level of the low voltage cutoff. Some people have tried free upgrades (under warranty from their local hobby shop) to another blx power system.
I don't know what battery pack you are using, but you could try a higher quality battery pack. I'm not a 100% sure if that will make a difference, maybe someone else can help you with that.

Anyway, you now know what the problem is.
I would never let my lipos get below 3.6 v per cell
Lipo's will only have a chance to get damaged below 3.3 volts per cell.

Just did some research and I noticed more people have the same problem when running on 3s. 2s has normal runtime, while 3s is much shorter and cuts off way earlier.
Problem is, after some runtime, your battery will reach a certain voltage level. If you then push the throttle really hard it will cause a voltage drop which probably reaches under the level of the low voltage cutoff. Some people have tried free upgrades (under warranty from their local hobby shop) to another blx power system.
I don't know what battery pack you are using, but you could try a higher quality battery pack. I'm not a 100% sure if that will make a difference, maybe someone else can help you with that.

Anyway, you now know what the problem is.

Lipo's will only have a chance to get damaged below 3.3 volts per cell.
Thank you for the information , I get the voltage drop deal you said ,
I just figured voltage drop could or would happen whether 2s or 3 s . I contacted Horizon yesterday and explained the situation and without hesitation they said I have a bad Esc . They said there sending me a new one next week when they come in. We shall see . Thank ya guys.

Last edited:

I just figured voltage drop could or would happen whether 2s or 3 s . I contacted Horizon yesterday and explained the situation and without hesitation they said I have a bad Esc . They said there sending me a new one next week when they come in. We shall see . Thank ya guys.
Like jondilly1974 said, that would not make a difference. It is an engineering fault in the esc. Some people got a different power system under warranty, I think you should try to do the same.

update ... the Esc's were backordered . took about 9 days and I got an email with a PO# and description of the Esc headed my way along with a tracking # YEA !!! I THOUGHT . all in all , after about 15 days I received the magic box …. Opened it up and low and behold ,,,,, I received a IC5 to IC3 battery adapter cable ??????? whom ever packaged this order sent the wrong thing . It seems someone named Juan must have my Esc . anyway , after a lengthy Chat session I now have another BLX100 esc supposedly headed my way . If I receive this one I'll get it in the truck and let everyone know how it did as for resolving the initial problem . might take a bit but I will post the results.

update ... the Esc's were backordered . took about 9 days and I got an email with a PO# and description of the Esc headed my way along with a tracking # YEA !!! I THOUGHT . all in all , after about 15 days I received the magic box …. Opened it up and low and behold ,,,,, I received a IC5 to IC3 battery adapter cable ??????? whom ever packaged this order sent the wrong thing . It seems someone named Juan must have my Esc . anyway , after a lengthy Chat session I now have another BLX100 esc supposedly headed my way . If I receive this one I'll get it in the truck and let everyone know how it did as for resolving the initial problem . might take a bit but I will post the results.
They sent you an adapter cable? Someone made an oopsie ?

Well its time to wrap this up . I got the New E
Sorry … Got the new Esc , finally got to try it out today . the initial problem was the 3s batteries not being taken down as low as the 2s would go , 2s 3.4 3s 3.78 respectively . the NEW esc is almost the same , it will take the 3s now down to 3.68 … I gained a little but not really worth swapping out the Esc ,, . Ive accepted what it is and will just deal with it . In summary the replacement Esc did not get a 3s down as low as a 2s will go . Thanks for every ones patience .

Last edited:
Well its time to wrap this up . I got the New E
Sorry … Got the new Esc , finally got to try it out today . the initial problem was the 3s batteries not being taken down as low as the 2s would go , 2s 3.4 3s 3.78 respectively . the NEW esc is almost the same , it will take the 3s now down to 3.68 … I gained a little but not really worth swapping out the Esc ,, . Ive accepted what it is and will just deal with it . In summary the replacement Esc did not get a 3s down as low as a 2s will go . Thanks for every ones patience .
What you could do, is try to sell the esc and motor combo and search for another brushless system. It’s just a firmware fault from the factory, there is nothing to do about it...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back