Typhon 4 week old car moves only forward sometimes backwards

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamVorst

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and to the hobby also. I have some knowledge of technic.
So I went racing last friday and suddenly the car stops driving. The ESC was beeping.
I opened the car and there was no movement in the motor, it was stuck. With some force I could get it to turn.
But when I turned on the motor it maked a screaming noise. So I was thinking there was something wrong with the motor.
I opened the motor, and yes: a bearing was broken. So I went to my local hobby store and bought a new bearing.
Luckily the bearing was only a few euros. I replaced it and was thinking I could go race again. But now my car won't go backwards :(
It goes forwards and sometimes backwards, no pattern in it. Randomly it works, and if it goes backwards it keeps rolling untill I shut the car down.
So forward is working. I guess there is something wrong with my ESC, which I already gave a factroy reset.

Does any one knows this problem and a eventually solution?
Or can I use my warranty. The typhon 3s is bought 3/4 weeks ago.

I hope any one can help me out.

Thank, Sam

You could use your warranty. I don't see how this could be user error.
I think your motor may have broke while the bearing was broken. The magnets may have touched and worn a lot

A locked up motor due to armature failure and/or Bearing failure can damage an ESC. Especially if the motor was under full load when the motor locked up. Or if you continue to throttle a locked motor. Out of 2 locked motor failures I fried one ESC in the process. (BLX185/2050 stockers) If you run in the wet with no lube or maintenance, most bearings will fail no matter what. (user error IMHO)
Warranty the Motor and ESC if you so choose. But the stock motor bearings are known to fail fast. Better to replace the 2 motor bearings new out the box. ABEC 3-5's motor specific SS BB's if possible. ( think Jim's Bearings)
Or at the very least lube the stock motor bearings well. The motors are good, just not the BB's. Bricked BB's can destroy a non replaceable motor armature quick, then the motor is junk. BLX motors are durable as long as you maintain and/or replace the BB's.
Just some tips. :cool:

Edit: Always replace BOTH motor BB's as a Set. Even if only one failed. (usually the pinion side BB) Check the armature closely for damage or frayed wrapping of the magnets. If there is even slight damage, the armature may fail anyway at this point ( on borrowed time), despite a new set of BB's.

Last edited:
You mentioned that you reset the ESC, can we assume you also ran through the calibration process? I would try to warranty both ESC and the motor. In the US, Horizon Hobby is very responsive, not sure how claims are handled elsewhere.

You mentioned that you reset the ESC, can we assume you also ran through the calibration process? I would try to warranty both ESC and the motor. In the US, Horizon Hobby is very responsive, not sure how claims are handled elsewhere.
I am pretty sure that the warranty service has gotten better since HH bought out hobbico

Thanks all for your reactions! Is the warranty at my local hobby store or at horizon hobby?
Yes, I reseted the ESC but don't know how to calibrate it?! How do I do this?

There are multiple videos on YouTube on how to calibrate an ESC. Search for "calibrating a BLX ESC" and you will find answers in the videos that come up. The BLX 185 ESC programs the same way as the BLX 100 ESC in your Typhon 3S, so those instructions will work.

I brought it to my local hobby store, and they are gonna repair it under warranty..

Finally got my car back and indeed it was a calibrating and bind issue! Thanks for the tips!

Back