4 wheel steering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulie

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Is anyone going to try and make an Arrma 4 wheel steering rig? It doesn't appear to be that hard with all the bolt on interchangeability. I just don't have the cash to attempt it right now.

Is anyone going to try and make an Arrma 4 wheel steering rig? It doesn't appear to be that hard with all the bolt on interchangeability. I just don't have the cash to attempt it right now.

Nice thought!
I would start by studying the exposed view drawings in the manual for exact fitting.
The 2WD Arrma's steering and wheel assembly is one part, not sure about the 4WD rigs.
Those are basically two different platforms, with the Nero chassis the latest addition.

ehm,....OK, thats an idea which I never will have.
Basically it will be difficult to make a Nero to 4-wheel steering.
You will not have enough space to make a second servo mount without to make a complete new chassis.
Maybe the aisles can be modified using a front axle on the rear... But honest. I makes no sense.
A Nero is not really a crawler. He can crawl but restricted of its design, sensorless motor and not individual locking diffs.
I think for real crawling you should choose a crawler..

Who is mentioning a crawler? ;)
Monstertucks have also 4 wheel steering, and do not particularly crawl.

Nevertheless I agree with you about the necessity of being able to control the rear wheel steering.
But this hobby is all about fun! :cool:

The topic starter does not mention his Arrma ride in his profile, but indeed I was not thinking about the Nero type/class of vehicles.
But on the Kraton this might work!

I have a Kraton. That's the platform I am thinking about. Kraton/Talion/Typhon/Outcast. After dismantling my Kraton for repairs, it appears that drilling a few holes in the rear chassis, it maybe be feasible to add the steering components. Of course, this is a quick review of the design. The actuality maybe differ substantially.

OK, the Kraton has a total different chassis than the Nero family.
And in that chase it may be easier to realize 4-wheel steering.

Maybe I am a little spoiled from my AX10 with 4-wheel steering. And I also think that was the first real crawler itself.
But that is a total different league than our beasts.

Regards,
lonee

You wouldn't necessarily have to run two servos unless you wanted multiple steering modes. And at that point you would be looking at an aftermarket radio system as well. Interesting idea, I imagine in general it would be easier on a 4wd platform.

I like the idea. A lot.

Ive thought for awhile now that 4ws would have applications outside of crawling. Not used all the time by any means. But say your doing a speed run. Would having both front and rear turned in the same direction give the car more of sliding motion? If so, trim the steering to make the first 25% of total movement on remote will only turn wheels 10% of its total available movement.

Tech has advanced to much for us to still think that these rc cars today as simply scale replicas. As Arrma owners we see the crazy potential these 4 wheels beasts have. To not push these cars beyond imagination would be cutting this hobby short. Im still waiting for the electronic differential revolution....But I digress.

As for dealing with adding another servo into the mix, that is quite an issue. More so, i feel, is due to the servo saver itself. So that leads me to think.. would two separate Nero's, hacked down the center, and Frankenstein'd the fronts together bring this idea any closer to functional design. I will look further into this idea at a later time.

Maybe I am a little spoiled from my AX10 with 4-wheel steering. And I also think that was the first real crawler itself.
But that is a total different league than our beasts.

I sold mine to buy two Fury's ;)

I would go for two servo's. This way you could maybe give the rear wheels less steering on half to full throttle, like real cars have

I like the brainstorming! I have the Futaba 3PV and you can set it up for 4 wheel steering. The stock radio is fine, but I am really appreciating the expo and a little bit better fine tuning capabilities.
The next time I have my Kraton apart, I will overlay the front end over the rear and see how close it fits. It may be just a matter of a few new holes to bolt on the front end steering assembly to the rear and then figuring out the driveshafts and bracing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back