40mm fan check in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 12v one and it rips on 7.4v still! I made a post about the amp draw as well. Pretty low.

Little bulky though.

PSX_20221010_142155.jpg

If you plan on using a separate lipo for it then they work great. If you want to plug it into the RX I recommend getting the fans from radiocontrolpower. They cost like 3x the price of what you linked but they move damn near as much air as a server fan connected to a 3s lipo.

https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/p...-replacement-cooling-fan-up-to-8-4volts-28cfm
Don't need that much air, just something robust. I kept breaking fans (alot of it's my own fault). But I figure I'd give these a go. Need something robust for crashes at the skatepark.

What is the best way to solder those small wires? I keep having an issue with them breaking off at the soldering joint.
I mean, i was just planning on stripping them and twisting together and cover with electrical tape.... Maybe a few drops of solder...?

It's around an amp or less, so it can't be that crucial. Right?

Could you crimp them? Solder will make a joint rigid, and likely to break if it gets flexed repeatedly.

Alternately, maybe solder a small length together, and cover it with a few longer pieces of heat shrink? To try and "encourage" the wire to flex in other areas, not at the solder joint, by making the soldered area stiffer. Including a little beyond the joint. Or maybe zip tie the soldered portion to something else, so it does not need to flex?

Just need to practice more with the soldering.
Practice on some scrap pieces of wire a couple of times (10X) and you get a feel for it.

And remember to slip on the heatsink tubing BEFORE you solder the joint together. 😉
(Slip them at least 2-3inches(or more ,if you can) from the soldering area ,so the heat from the solder doesn't start to shrink the tubing Before you're done.

I just crimp a jst connector on the end of mine I've never soldered them. I bought a bunch of these in bulk https://www.smalladdictionsrc.com/tq-wire-2406-servo-cable-conn-fut-5/

Crimp tool https://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/connectors/tools/crimp_dx/
Dang it… never really thought of that. I already have connectors and a crimper so feeling rather goofy right now 😅
Thank you!
Just need to practice more with the soldering.
Practice on some scrap pieces of wire a couple of times (10X) and you get a feel for it.

And remember to slip on the heatsink tubing BEFORE you solder the joint together. 😉
(Slip them at least 2-3inches(or more ,if you can) from the soldering area ,so the heat from the solder doesn't start to shrink the tubing Before you're done.
I’m pretty good at soldering (except I hate ec5 connectors), it’s just that the super thin wire breaks at the joint after using for a bit. Thinking I’ll reinforce and use extra wire at the joint and up 1/2 an inch, then double the marine heatsink at that area. It’s just been driving me nuts. I also like a slicks idea of crimping on jst connectors. But all my small batteries have deans connectors 🤔 I’ll figure it out eventually.

Hmm, I could run them off the balance lead and put together a few connectors for that with jst plugs for the fans. Sometimes thinking out loud to others helps me figure out what I already know 😂

Last edited:
Dang it… never really thought of that. I already have connectors and a crimper so feeling rather goofy right now 😅
Thank you!

I’m pretty good at soldering (except I hate ec5 connectors), it’s just that the super thin wire breaks at the joint after using for a bit. Thinking I’ll reinforce and use extra wire at the joint and up 1/2 an inch, then double the marine heatsink at that area. It’s just been driving me nuts. I also like a slicks idea of crimping on jst connectors. But all my small batteries have deans connectors 🤔 I’ll figure it out eventually.

Hmm, I could run them off the balance lead and put together a few connectors for that with jst plugs for the fans. Sometimes thinking out loud to others helps me figure out what I already know 😂
I just use some heatshrink, makes it rigid enough for me but I have seen your jumps.. :LOL:

I just use some heatshrink, makes it rigid enough for me but I have seen your jumps.. :LOL:
It’s not the jumps…it’s the landings 🙃

I have a 12v one and it rips on 7.4v still! I made a post about the amp draw as well. Pretty low.

Little bulky though.

View attachment 267406
Ah...thx for those numbers

If you plan on using a separate lipo for it then they work great. If you want to plug it into the RX I recommend getting the fans from radiocontrolpower. They cost like 3x the price of what you linked but they move damn near as much air as a server fan connected to a 3s lipo.

https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/p...-replacement-cooling-fan-up-to-8-4volts-28cfm

YES! I have removed all my Game Changer fans for these and the air they move is just impressive....I see no difference in removing GC lipo fans.

Ah...thx for those numbers

YES! I have removed all my Game Changer fans for these and the air they move is just impressive....I see no difference in removing GC lipo fans.
Gamechanger fans are literally just rebadged Delta 4028 server fans.

28 CFM's is pretty dam respectable for an 8.4v fan. (y) Cooling doesn't get any better, especially if you run 2 of them. BEC being the limiting factor if anything.

Last edited:
28 CFM's is pretty dam respectable for an 8.4v fan. (y) Cooling doesn't get any better, especially of you run 2 of them. BEC being the limiting factor if anything.
Yea they definitely take more amps than other fans!

Yea they definitely take more amps than other fans!
The one I linked to on eBay also pushes 28cfm but only at 0.73a it just doesn't have a jst connector preinstalled on it and costs $10 less. Like I mentioned about the Gamechanger fans, all of these "rc" fans are literally server psu fans with a servo lean connected to them with a premium price markup. I should start selling fans I could make a killing.

Last edited:
The one I linked to on eBay also pushes 28cfm but only at 0.73a it just doesn't have a jst connector preinstalled on it and costs $10 less. Like I mentioned about the Gamechanger fans, all of these "rc" fans are literally server psu fans with a servo lean connected to them with a premium price markup. I should start selling fans I could make a killing.
the fan you linked can do 28 cfm at 8.4v?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back