Kraton 40mm fan wiring and recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthChurchill

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm picking up the Alza dual 40mm fan brackets for my motor. Are there any recommendations on which fans I should pick up and how exactly do I power them with my Max6 combo? Thanks!

Don’t know because I never get mine wet. I run a single fan on my motor heat sink and it keeps the motor super cool even if I go heavy with the throttle for a full pack in grass. Here’s a photo. Fan was 12 bucks. good luck

82BD0031-512B-4CF8-B3B8-7E23B0AC8F98.jpeg

There is no fan that requires an Alza mount that you can power with an ESC. Those 40mm mounts are for high speed fans that run on 12V.
Usual way to power those is through Lipo balance plugs.

This is the yeah racing dual fan setup. My friend was able to adapt it to his Mojave EXB with HW 4985 1650KV motor

20210328_013435.jpg

The 4985 doesn't really need a fan if you stay on 18T but yes the Yeah racing or Powerhobby dual fan will work just fine.
The Alza mount is for the ESC though, haven't seen one for a motor.

Personally I dislike teh Max6, it overheats too quickly and shuts down. The stock fan won't survive long either. A lot of people recommend the Max6, I'm over it. the Firma160 is cheaper (used) and holds up better imho.

After watching some videos on YT, I picked up a few of these 40mm fans from aliexpress. It took 12 days from order to delivery. I just finished making my own mounting bracket for the ESC yesterday, and still need to make a bracket for the motor fan, but They push some serious air. They are rated for 12v, but I have this one running 7.4v, plugged straight into the ESC, like the stock fan, and it works great so far in testing. I also tested a second fan (will be the motor fan) plugged into the receiver and they both worked fine, with no issues.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000314543410.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.57e04c4duOk3XU

Here's a video that shows the difference in airflow.

Fans-1.jpeg

Fans-2.jpeg

Fans-3.jpeg

Fans-4.jpeg

Fans-5.jpeg

@Wayne S you are on the right path but making some questionable choices. Running it on 7.4V, you might as well just get a 35mm fan (alu), they are ~ double in price or take a look at the one I have linked below. It's 36mm and doesn't need any mounts.

Common issues:
You are restricting airflow with that mount.
There is no gap between ESC and fan. You will need roughly 1/4" for the fan to actually work and do something useful.
My guess, overall you are at ~ 20-30% of what this fan is capable of which is probably less or equal to a 35mm fan.
The current is rated at 1A for 12V, my guess you will be ~ 0.7A which is ok for the BEC to handle, good choice from that point of view.
Most RC car fans at higher price make the same mistake during mounting and all that power is not used for cooling..

Different story when you power this on 12V but with no gap you have back pressure and you will be at ~ 50-60% of what the fan is capable of.

By all means try it out and see how it holds up to bashing. I have found that landing upside down will damage the motor on the one I have linked below (12V fan). They are cheap enough for this to be a don't care.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

@Wayne S you are on the right path but making some questionable choices. Running it on 7.4V, you might as well just get a 35mm fan (alu), they are ~ double in price or take a look at the one I have linked below. It's 36mm and doesn't need any mounts.

Common issues:
You are restricting airflow with that mount.
There is no gap between ESC and fan. You will need roughly 1/4" for the fan to actually work and do something useful.
My guess, overall you are at ~ 20-30% of what this fan is capable of which is probably less or equal to a 35mm fan.
The current is rated at 1A for 12V, my guess you will be ~ 0.7A which is ok for the BEC to handle, good choice from that point of view.
Most RC car fans at higher price make the same mistake during mounting and all that power is not used for cooling..

Different story when you power this on 12V but with no gap you have back pressure and you will be at ~ 50-60% of what the fan is capable of.

By all means try it out and see how it holds up to bashing. I have found that landing upside down will damage the motor on the one I have linked below (12V fan). They are cheap enough for this to be a don't care.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Agree with what you write about the esc fans.

I have raised my fan, waiting for spacers to have between bash-mount and esc.

IMG_20210409_082334.jpg

I'm picking up the Alza dual 40mm fan brackets for my motor. Are there any recommendations on which fans I should pick up and how exactly do I power them with my Max6 combo? Thanks!

For the Alza dual motorfan mount I chose Thunderoos 27000 rpm fans.

Attachments

• IMG_20210324_110224.jpg
    IMG_20210324_110224.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
jkflow,

I appreciate the info and understand what you are saying regarding the height needed to maximize the airflow. I had thought about grinding away some of mount, between where the screws are to help with flow, so I'll do that for sure. With it set up like it is, you can actually feel quite a bit of air coming out around the entire ESC, and I don't hear any changes in the load/rpm on the motor when it is in place either. The mount I made technically raises the fan from 1/4" to 7/16" off the ESC when compared to how the factory fan is mounted.

These fans cost me $31 for 6 of them, so if they break, I'm not going to be upset. I wasn't really having any major issues with overheating, I just wanted to increase the cooling capacity for the motor, but since they were so cheap, I decided to put one on the ESC as well and this fan most definitely pushes a lot more air than the factory HW one does.

Deiglie,

It doesn't appear that there is anything supporting the center of the fan motor itself now that you raised it up. In the research that I did, not having any support under the motor is how the majority of the motors broke when coming down from a big launch, hence why those Alza mounts have the center support in them now. If you're going to raise the fan, I would suggest putting the spacer under the mount instead of between the mount and the fan.

All good points and yes you are doing the right thing. ESC cooling is not that critical to begin with and in general even the restricted airflow is sufficient. This is all about static pressure etc and every fan is more or less capable. I initially thought it would be an audible change as well but have learned it truly differs by fan and is unreliable. I had an ESC overheat with a 'high power' fan, I believe that was due to the fact that you have almost a penny sized area in the middle (motor) that gets no airflow when mounted to close while the air on the outside of that zone is insufficient to cool the ESC but I could be completely wrong. You are on the right track on the pricing.
Mechanical support is needed as some of these fins are very thin, there fan designs out there with better support.
Good place to research locally is digikey.com, you can always buy in China to save some $. That is basically what I do.

Motor with it's curved surface is more forgiving on air flow.

Yes, support the motor or on hard leandings it will bend the can or rip out the front plate. Not needed for bunny hops but any ramp jump will incrementally do damage.

Deiglie,

It doesn't appear that there is anything supporting the center of the fan motor itself now that you raised it up. In the research that I did, not having any support under the motor is how the majority of the motors broke when coming down from a big launch, hence why those Alza mounts have the center support in them now. If you're going to raise the fan, I would suggest putting the spacer under the mount instead of between the mount and the fan.

Agree, that's why I wrote *waiting for spacers to have between bash-mount and esc* 🙂

Just waiting for parts.. 👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back