Granite 40wt shock and 30k diff is too much?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Flint

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
My brother just got the granite 3s as a birthday present and i wanted to start tinkering with it a bit. I got the typhon 3s myself and i upgraded it quite a bit so im not sure if using 40wt for stock shocks on granite is too much for bashing and few jumps and is the 30k diff is gonna work well in the granite because that is what i have on hand..

40wt for shocks is the stock setup, so it'll be fine.

stock diff is 10k, so 30k will lock it a bit more, if it's all you have it wont be the end of the world.

I have 30k in the diffs of my granite, And I think it is perfect for bashing. U have worse handling at speed, but not that bad. 40k shock oil is perfect for the stock shocks. Just keep alot of it on hand if u plan to keep them. They leak.

I have 30k in the diffs of my granite, And I think it is perfect for bashing. U have worse handling at speed, but not that bad. 40k shock oil is perfect for the stock shocks. Just keep alot of it on hand if u plan to keep them. They leak.
So ill get my hands at some 20k, don't want to give up so much and its not my car so shocks are not for me to buy. If it will start to leak maybe he will switch them and we have extra from the typhon as well so hopefully one of them wont..

Did you put 30 front and rear?

I run 50k in diffs on typhon 3s, and 80wt in the factory 3s shocks..

I just put 100k in my diffs and 80W in my shocks recently. It still turns fine for what I’m doing, which is just bashing. Just punch it a little in a turn and it will whip around just fine.

does the shocks even perform in any way other than big jumps with 80wt?
Make chassis slaps much softer. With 40W mine was slapping from 1ft drops. Have broken too many chassis so far, so I tried some thicker shock oil to combat it. Now I have to drop it from 5ft to make the chassis slap. I am using Chinese eBay shocks on the Granite. I’m using Typhon 6S shocks on my Typhon 3S and Kraton 4S.

It will make it real bouncy going straight on flat ground, but take big air like a champ.
I am running MX28 Badlands which have a lot of bump soaking plushness. I haven’t noticed any bounciness yet, but it broke mid pack (lost the servo saver screw) on my first run and haven’t had it back out yet. I will do some specific testing to see if I can see this happening on some moderately flat asphalt.

Make chassis slaps much softer. With 40W mine was slapping from 1ft drops. Have broken too many chassis so far, so I tried some thicker shock oil to combat it.
But correct me if i'm wrong, the sooner the chassis slaps is actually easier on the chassis, the slap transfer the shock from the chassis to the components, the faster it happens the less the chassis stresses.

I am using Chinese eBay shocks on the Granite. I’m using Typhon 6S shocks on my Typhon 3S and Kraton 4S.
Oh, then in this case oil weight comparison is irrelevant, you can only compare if the pistons are exactly the same.

But correct me if i'm wrong, the sooner the chassis slaps is actually easier on the chassis, the slap transfer the shock from the chassis to the components, the faster it happens the less the chassis stresses.

Oh, then in this case oil weight comparison is irrelevant, you can only compare if the pistons are exactly the same.
In my case, I’ve gone through about 6 chassis to date if I recall correctly and I don’t think a chassis should slap from a 1ft drop. That’s insanely soft. It’s as if I had no shocks at all. And no amount of preload would help. That would just transfer all of the weight to the collars anyways.

As for comparing the eBay shocks vs stock or 6S, I’m running the same 80W all around and like it much better. The Kraton 4S had the same chassis slap from 1ft issue and now is much softer landing. It will still slap from higher landings, but not from every little bump in the road.

I had no bounce with 80wt in the 3s shocks.. 4s shocks with hot racing bodies bounced like a pogo stick on 80wt.. the slop in the 3s piston in the stock body actually works well with 80 wt..

My brother just got the granite 3s as a birthday present and i wanted to start tinkering with it a bit. I got the typhon 3s myself and i upgraded it quite a bit so im not sure if using 40wt for stock shocks on granite is too much for bashing and few jumps and is the 30k diff is gonna work well in the granite because that is what i have on hand..

You should be fine with 40. I put 40 wt shock oil in my son's 2WD Stampede and it does well. Your truck is probably heavier than the 2WD Stampede anyways.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back