Granite 4600Kv motor w/3s = mangled spur

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm considering this Hobbyking system:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-tm-x-car-beast-series-motor-and-120a-esc-combo-1-8-scale.html

It's a 120A ESC (for 1/8 cars) with a 3675 motor at 2050kv, which is low for what I want to do (2S), at least with my Granite. The ESC also claims to have an adjustable BEC, 6-8.4v! I could also throw this guy in my EMaxx and run it on 3 or 4S, which would likely be a hoot (hopefully the 36mm motor doesn't get too hot)! I am also considering buying this Turnigy motor along with it:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-xk-3665-3190kv-brushless-inrunner.html

More or less the same size (a little shorter), but 3190kv, which should do pretty well in the Granite on 2S. Both motors are 5mm shafts, so I'd need to get some new pinions for them as well.

That is the same KV of my BLX185 motor. On 2s and a 25t pinion, stock spur, it ran about stock speeds. 3s gave it a nice bump in speed, but still not really fast.

Now that I think about it, I have not tried to run 2s since swapping to the 56t spur. The lower ration should give me more speed, I need to try it. Currently on 15t/56, but I could go up to a 18t pinion. Hummm...

I have a sw3 with a 4600kv motor on my stampede 4x4 one of my LHS pushed it on me and I no longer go there cause he’s a d@@k. So my question is can the sw3 esc handle the 1410 3800kv motor? Or do I have to change the esc as well? I now gave my 5 year old the stampede and is running 2s with a 9 tooth and it still gets hot.

How hot is hot? Do you have a temp gauge? "Scalding hot" to your finger is about 120f-130f, which is a very safe temp for the motor. The danger zone is up around 170f-180f.

If you have a harbor freight near you, they have a $12 non-contact thermometer I like, car key fob size. If not, Home Depot has one for $20.

How hot is hot? Do you have a temp gauge? "Scalding hot" to your finger is about 120f-130f, which is a very safe temp for the motor. The danger zone is up around 170f-180f.

If you have a harbor freight near you, they have a $12 non-contact thermometer I like, car key fob size. If not, Home Depot has one for $20.
I don’t have a temp gun but when I was running it on 3s I could not touch the motor and it would go into thermal shut down. Now on 2s I could touch it for about 10seconds but does not go into thermal shut down

The 4600Kv motor is known to be a heat machine. Runs very hot and not very popular from what I'm told. I know mine got up to 200 degrees on 3s but man did it haul ass .

The 4600Kv motor is known to be a heat machine. Runs very hot and not very popular from what I'm told. I know mine got up to 200 degrees on 3s but man did it haul ass .
Lol I hear you mine was probably just as fast on 3s as my outcast on 6s. It’s completely upgraded but it just can’t handle most of the terrain I drive on so that’s why I decided to upgrade to the out cast. Also got a great deal on the outcast

Lol I hear you mine was probably just as fast on 3s as my outcast on 6s. It’s completely upgraded but it just can’t handle most of the terrain I drive on so that’s why I decided to upgrade to the out cast. Also got a great deal on the outcast

And that is my next vehicle. Will probably get it next week :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back