Outcast 4985 gearing with trenchers 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tgambob

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
Hi all I have been fighting motor temps with my outcast since I put these stupid belted trenchers on. Truck runs amazing without them but (sounds stupid I know) I really like the look of them so I started to build the truck around them. To that point I moved up to a max 6 4985 combo last night with a 20 tooth after reading through a bunch of threads. Still got hotter then I want (150) No big chassis yet just some hr parts and a servo but still came in at 14.6 lbs rtr. Should I drop back all the way to factory gearing? No fans yet nothing seems to be in stock.

Attachments

• 20200610_100345.jpg
    20200610_100345.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200615_190833.jpg
    20200615_190833.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 53
Hi all I have been fighting motor temps with my outcast since I put these stupid belted trenchers on. Truck runs amazing without them but (sounds stupid I know) I really like the look of them so I started to build the truck around them. To that point I moved up to a max 6 4985 combo last night with a 20 tooth after reading through a bunch of threads. Still got hotter then I want (150) No big chassis yet just some hr parts and a servo but still came in at 14.6 lbs rtr. Should I drop back all the way to factory gearing? No fans yet nothing seems to be in stock.
You’ll probably have to gear down and in order to avoid excessive heat within the system. The belted trencher 3.8” are a whopping 481 grams each vs the backflips that weigh 354 gram each. That’s 1.1lbs of additional rotating mass over the already heavy backflips

You’ll probably have to gear down and in order to avoid excessive heat within the system. The belted trencher 3.8” are a whopping 481 grams each vs the backflips that weigh 354 gram each. That’s 1.1lbs of additional rotating mass over the already heavy backflips
Thank you I thought they weighed a lot more but wow. should I drop back to an 18 or 17 or go all the way back to stock?

The 4985 is a 1650kv motor vs stock @2050kv so dropping back down to the stock pinion would slow it down quite a bit over the stock speeds.
Honestly....I’d run the motor geared the way it is now if the motor is only getting up to 150. I run the same motor (4985) with backflips up to mid 160’s before the end of a pack geared 22t pinion /46t infraction Spur.
~ My rule of thumb for motor temperatures is below 170 and you’re all good ?

I run an 18t with Backflip LPs, mostly on 6s with a zip tied HW fan. I found 20t is too high for this setup, let alone with belted Trenchers ?

I would go for either a 17 or 18t ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back