4s, 6s Lipo l.e.d. feed wires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FAILWISH

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
On my quest to avoid using the on board bec for led power.. i did a voltage test on full 4s and 6s lipo charge port the outer two wires are the true voltage coming from batt..what ever the total power from the lipo is also coming from these wires..
I looked around and found some kits on ebay figured i would test and make my own.. went to amazon got this particular bec that knocks 6s power down to 5v.. and ran them for 40mins on my led set ups to verify heat put out..they get warm(holdable with hand and back of hand noticable warm) but never hot .. 40 mins is my test time since i rarely go past 45mins of play time. These pics show the input side has a 6s charge port and a jst on the output side.. added extra pics to show with and with out bec 5v step down

PXL_20220520_163800248.jpg

PXL_20220520_163734076.jpg

PXL_20220520_170138495.jpg

PXL_20220520_170419708.jpg

Great idea for LED's.
You could probably run LEDS, depending how many used, with the ESC BEC without issue. Doesn't matter if plugged into the Rx. or at the ESC fan port (Pigtailed). That voltage circuit is in series. Same voltage. Low voltage is best for LED's. They always get hottter the higher you go.

Tapping 7.4v connected to 2 Cells only using an adapter with LED's you might only need 1 cell. (3.7volts nominal)
2s-3s works great for large 40mm Fans. ( motors and ESC's)
You can't power these fans off a standard ESC BEC well enough.
There's many ways to slice it. What works for you.

I did check the individual cells of the lipo..i was worried it would run the batt down un balanced if i wired into the second pin of the lipo charge port, since the batteries are wired in series internally. Or does it equalize itself across the series?

Yes, tapping into anything other than first and last pin will unbalance the cells. How much depends on how much current your LEDs are drawing.
Voltage regulators are generally more efficient when the input voltage is close to the output voltage, but if it's not getting hot when connected to the full 6s, I wouldn't worry about it.

Have you measured how much current your LEDs are drawing?

L.e.d. draw is 0.75amps.. the bec step downs are rated up to 3.0 amps.. 2.25 amps of headroom..if im calculating correctly

Yes, should be absolutely fine, and definitely connect over the whole battery.

If you were to connect it over just 2 cells rather than the full battery, it'd draw something like 0.75 x (5/7.4) x 1/0.9 = 0.56A (assuming the convertor is 90% efficient). After 45 min that's 422mAh. Your battery is 6000mAh so that's about 7% of your battery's capacity which is a significant imbalance.

If you connect it over all six it'll draw about a third of the current evenly across all cells.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back