Vorteks Thing^2 (a Velo 4s build)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I love how Old Yeller (below) turned out so much I figured I’d give a similar treatment to my Vorteks. I’m going with 4s v1 RPM arms, v2 drive shafts and turnbuckles, Rocket 4068, 2650 kv motor, spectrum 130a esc, 4s v2 diff up front and cnc diff in back (both with hot racing diff yokes), m2c motor mount/brace, GLOBACT metal bellcrank/link and s652 servo. I also have a new swb chassis I got in 2021.

I already had some of the parts on Thing as I upgraded it over time. So I took them off and put my original vorteks back to mostly stock, taking most of the parts from the ‘parts bin typhon’. Other parts I’d bought here and there over the last year (I’ve been wanting to do this for sometime). I was super thrilled when Jenny’s got the v2 parts in and have been collecting them since the release.

I’m happy to find that the shorter v1 arms fit the v2 cvds. The slightly thinner width may work better with the swb chassis also. When they wear out I’ll put on v2 arms. Maybe. I still need wheels and will get backflip Los for Christmas. Meanwhile I’ll run MX28s.

I’ll be using the red vorteks body I painted 6 months ago. I’ve removed the irritating built in wing that tears up the body on roof landings. I’ll fit the typhon wing mount and noto wing I used to have on my parts bin typhon. Figure I can cut and bend a piece of Kydex to cover the spot where the built in wing was. I’ll be running stock granite towers and 6s mojave front shocks up front and 6s Kraton front shocks on the rear.

I’m hoping it turns out as good as old Yeller. I love driving that car so much. Hopefully I won’t break the chassis on this one 😑 The v2, 4s parts really complement a 3s build.
I can and will run both on 4s, but with a lighter 3s battery old Yeller really feels good. I like it with a 3s CNHL, 6600mah, 130c lipo best. I also picked up a couple soft case 4s battery’s that are pretty light.

BB192959-8512-4FFE-B60E-5C099CB9392A.jpeg

7E940AFC-725E-4C3A-87B4-8FA8579BC44C.jpeg

6A0F4A7D-FBEB-4F44-BE12-F362210C4D61.jpeg

Last edited:
Aaaaannnnnndddddd .... sub'd.

Interested to see how the RPM arms will treat you and how this rig will look.
Me too and thanks! I’ve been wanting to do something like this all year with the vorteks. These new 4s upgrades make the 3s line so much more solid.

Got a couple of early Christmas presents!! Backflip LPs and a Radiolink rc4gs 😃 I just need to put it together now, which I’ll do over the next few days.

Dang, both front Mojave shocks have bent rods. Mojave fronts are the only 6s shock rods I’ve bent while running them on my 3/4s cars. I’ve bent 4 now. They take some pretty had hard hits I figure.

The more I continue to watch, the better this gets.
Thanks man…and here I haven’t even test run Old Yeller yet 😂 between the rain, cold, holidays (and jewelry making lol) I haven’t had a chance. But then I do enjoy building these things more then driving them it seems.

🤔 yeah, I cut it too short. The back end was pretty jacked up anyway so no big deal. I need to raise the back body mounts also. I’ll paint another body for it this coming year and make sure to cut it right. I still like the way it looks.

The new 4068, 2050kv motor arrives today. The first one they sent me was actually used when I opened it. So I returned it. Im not sure what pinion to use yet. Being goofy I ordered a set of v2 turnbuckles. Only two fit on the rear so I ordered the proper ones. A few other odds and ends arrive today and I’ll be able to finish it.

8505E791-3699-4FC1-9041-2472ABDB6295.jpeg

98D4040B-145F-4FAA-B71D-18B20E732924.jpeg

Speeds not my goal really. I have trouble visually tracking over as I close in on 60mph, and my reactions are still off due to concussion and nerve damage issues. I found this out trying to speed run my mini infraction awhile back. Around 45-50mph is perfect for me.

🤔 in Old Yeller, (which I finally drove yesterday on 3s and is AWSOME!) I have the stock 4s, 2400kv motor and a 15t pinion. On 3s it is plenty fast and a wheelie monster. I’m trying it on 4s today and will probably have to dial down the throttle quite a bit. A 13t pinion will be better I think.

Thing, with the 2050kv motor, thinking a 14t should be good, but since I have a couple 15s I’ll start there. It’ll ultimately depend on the tires I like best. I got a set of backflip lps for Christmas so will try those first. But I also think MX28s will be really nice. It is going to be more low slung and vorteks like than Old Yeller. It’ll also have a stiffer suspension. I may have to adjust the pinion size depending on the tire I like best. It’ll be fun experimenting.

Thing, with the 2050kv motor, thinking a 14t should be good, but since I have a couple 15s I’ll start there. It’ll ultimately depend on the tires I like best. I got a set of backflip lps for Christmas so will try those first. But I also think MX28s will be really nice. It is going to be more low slung and vorteks like than Old Yeller. It’ll also have a stiffer suspension. I may have to adjust the pinion size depending on the tire I like best. It’ll be fun experimenting.

If Arrma made a 3s Talion, this would be it. Come to think of it ... the Vorteks is essentially a 3s Talion ... isn't it?

If Arrma made a 3s Talion, this would be it. Come to think of it ... the Vorteks is essentially a 3s Talion ... isn't it?
🤔 I don’t know. Hadn’t thought of it. I’ve no experience with the Talion honestly.

Here's my thinking:

1). Typhon: Boost --> Mega --> 3s BLX --> 6s/TLR --> Fireteam(?)
2). Big Rock --> Kraton 4s --> Kraton 6s/EXB --> Kraton 8s
3). Senton: Boost --> Mega --> 3s BLX --> (Senton 6s) --> Mojave 6s/EXB
4). Vorteks: Boost --> Mega --> 3s BLX --> Talion 6s
5). Granite: Boost --> Mega --> 3s BLX --> Outcast 4s --> Outcast 6s/EXB --> Outcast 8s

Basically, the name plate evolves as the electronics and powertrain are upgraded. Also going with which entry level cars match the purpose of the "higher tier" rigs. Granted, this does not account for any of the onroad machines.

Here's my thinking:

1). Typhon: Boost --> Mega --> 3s BLX --> 6s/TLR --> Fireteam(?)
2). Big Rock --> Kraton 4s --> Kraton 6s/EXB --> Kraton 8s
3). Senton: Boost --> Mega --> 3s BLX --> (Senton 6s) --> Mojave 6s/EXB
4). Vorteks: Boost --> Mega --> 3s BLX --> Talion 6s
5). Granite: Boost --> Mega --> 3s BLX --> Outcast 4s --> Outcast 6s/EXB --> Outcast 8s

Basically, the name plate evolves as the electronics and powertrain are upgraded. Also going with which entry level cars match the purpose of the "higher tier" rigs. Granted, this does not account for any of the onroad machines.
Pretty much. I think the fireteam is it’s own kinda critter though.

My wife is able to join me again thank god. We’ve been hitting the park most days this last 2 weeks, her Big Rock and my 4s mutt. First we walk a lap around the dried up lake and then 30 min or so playing with our cars. Things are feeling more normal like and I love it 😊

AF5EAC4C-8C64-4D14-B8B5-375BE5A8C348.jpeg

My wife is able to join me again thank god. We’ve been hitting the park most days this last 2 weeks, her Big Rock and my 4s mutt. First we walk a lap around the dried up lake and then 30 min or so playing with our cars. Things are feeling more normal like and I love it 😊

View attachment 266129
Very awesome to hear that things are getting better & you're able to enjoy the things that make you/the family happy bro!!😍😃👍🤘💪

Back