Vorteks Thing^2 (a Velo 4s build)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very awesome to hear that things are getting better & you're able to enjoy the things that make you/the family happy bro!!😍😃👍🤘💪
Thanks man! Yes, it’s very nice. Been a hard…hell, near 2 years now.

My wife is able to join me again thank god. We’ve been hitting the park most days this last 2 weeks, her Big Rock and my 4s mutt. First we walk a lap around the dried up lake and then 30 min or so playing with our cars. Things are feeling more normal like and I love it 😊

View attachment 266129
You've found it. You've found the secret. That's AWESOME! Also, the "his and her" rides thing will never get old. Plus, with your knowledge of these rigs, the Mrs. is pretty much set for life.

Here's my thinking:

1). Typhon: Boost --> Mega --> 3s BLX --> 6s/TLR --> Fireteam(?)
2). Big Rock --> Kraton 4s --> Kraton 6s/EXB --> Kraton 8s
3). Senton: Boost --> Mega --> 3s BLX --> (Senton 6s) --> Mojave 6s/EXB
4). Vorteks: Boost --> Mega --> 3s BLX --> Talion 6s
5). Granite: Boost --> Mega --> 3s BLX --> Outcast 4s --> Outcast 6s/EXB --> Outcast 8s

Basically, the name plate evolves as the electronics and powertrain are upgraded. Also going with which entry level cars match the purpose of the "higher tier" rigs. Granted, this does not account for any of the onroad machines.
The 4x4 line has nothing in common with the 6s line. Bad comparisons.
The Typhon , OC and Kraton appear to overlap/crossover in only Name with similar bodies ONLY.
I always felt the Vorteks might be the 4x4 alternative to the 6s Talion. For its low stance and speed capabilities only. Both chassis are not even close however. Different worlds apart. No resemblance.

The 4x4 line has nothing in common with the 6s line. Bad comparisons.
The Typhon , OC and Kraton appear to overlap/crossover in only Name with similar bodies ONLY.
I always felt the Vorteks might be the 4x4 alternative to the 6s Talion. For its low stance and speed capabilities only. Both chassis are not even close however. Different worlds apart. No resemblance.

Wasn't aiming for comparison but more of an "evolution", aka as the parts get bigger. Think of it more like Pokemon instead.

I’m gonna try something different with the rear shocks. I got a set the rear Mojave shocks a while back. They are cheap, only 16 bucks, and I was curious. I took off the 3.2 pound springs that they come with and put on a set of 5.4 pound, 95mm Arrma Springs that I had lying around. They are too short for the shocks of course so I cranked down the adjuster a good bit.

I’m using 4s, V1, RPM arms on Thing. They have inside and outside shock mounts, so I think they will work using the outside mount. I plan on running a set of Kraton, 6s front shocks on the front. Also using the outside mount I think. I bought some silicon tubing that should work well for bump stops and, if I need to, shortening the shock length. If it doesn’t work I’ll go a different route. I think it will though. Below are the Mojave and Kraton Springs side-by-side.

81D6AD11-D2CA-4CCE-9F3C-5A8EA2B57A2A.jpeg

385F4D57-8E9A-4AEF-9145-C9E7830FCA0B.jpeg

EAB360DD-4E42-44DB-B3BE-2D213ACF997F.jpeg

7F25E9B0-3F50-4631-8341-E04CB30526F2.jpeg

I’m gonna try something different with the rear shocks. I got a set the rear Mojave shocks a while back. They are cheap, only 16 bucks, and I was curious. I took off the 3.2 pound springs that they come with and put on a set of 5.4 pound, 95mm Arrma Springs that I had lying around. They are too short for the shocks of course so I cranked down the adjuster a good bit.

I’m using 4s, V1, RPM arms on Thing. They have inside and outside shock mounts, so I think they will work using the outside mount. I plan on running a set of Kraton, 6s front shocks on the front. Also using the outside mount I think. I bought some silicon tubing that should work well for bump stops and, if I need to, shortening the shock length. If it doesn’t work I’ll go a different route. I think it will though. Below are the Mojave and Kraton Springs side-by-side.

View attachment 267058

View attachment 267059

View attachment 267060

View attachment 267061
I am both intrigued and confused on what you are doing....lol

I did order two sets of the mojave front shocks for the girls Vorteks for the back. Why exactly are the Backs shocks so tiny on the Mojave?
The rear shocks are big but have really weak springs. It’s the front that seem really short and I guess that’s just the way they are. I’ve never seen a mojave in real life so don’t know much about it. It’s a good thing cause they fit the front of the 3s line. I make shock boots out of skinny black rubber balloons and tiny zip ties. They work better than the stock ones for keeping crud out so I’ve starting making all my shock boots.

Did you get axial bushings yet? You need ‘em for the top mount. I know some people make something that works out of air-tube and washers, but I’ve always gotten the bushings. They least quite a while, at least a year and a half to two+ years so far.

The rear shocks are big but have really weak springs. It’s the front that seem really short and I guess that’s just the way they are. I’ve never seen a mojave in real life so don’t know much about it. It’s a good thing cause they fit the front of the 3s line. I make shock boots out of skinny black rubber balloons and tiny zip ties. They work better than the stock ones for keeping crud out so I’ve starting making all my shock boots.

Did you get axial bushings yet? You need ‘em for the top mount. I know some people make something that works out of air-tube and washers, but I’ve always gotten the bushings. They least quite a while, at least a year and a half to two+ years so far.
Did you get axial bushings yet? Umm, Which ones do I need? Lol. Guess I missed that information.

Nice! The Mojave rear shocks fit very well on the back. Next time I need a set of rear shocks for one of my 3S cars I’ll try to see if I can get these to fit. Probably not since the arms are shorter and only have one mounting option. On the front, the Kraton front shocks look just right. I love the outside mounting option on theses rpm arms. I just wish they didn’t bow so badly.

On the rear, I was able to get a pair of the shorter V2, 4S turnbuckles to work, but the rest of them were too long for the front. I was able to extend a set of Traxxas rustler turnbuckles and make them fit, but I’m worried they might be overextended somewhat. I’ll find out while running it I guess.

The thing that’s irritating is the new turnbuckles are 5 mm thick, I think, and look fairly heavy duty. The old v1, 4S turnbuckles are no different from the 4mm, 3S turnbuckles that bend so easy. They’re just a little bit longer. So I may need to find some 71 and 62mm long, 5mm thick turn buckles. but I’ll figure that out after I’ve started driving it, should I have issues. Now I just need to mount the motor, solder connectors, set up the servo, radio, mount the wheels, wing, fit the body and we will be off! Like a herd of turtles, as my grandpa used to say 😂🐢

Oh, yeah… some random neighbors cat has started visiting us this last month or so. Typically she will come into the garage when I have the door open a little bit while working on my cars. I’ve even caught her inside the house a couple of times, which is risky since my dog would pretty much eat it. Bosco the Catahoula is a hunting breed and the instinct runs deep. He’s even tried to pull a deer down before 😑 My stepdaughter loves the cat though and I don’t mind it either. Keeps me company while I’m out there working on my cars and rocks.

B4BC863D-8298-4ECA-908E-F83E5DFCB861.jpeg

4F3E3721-360D-43D3-97D2-1D6539F2054D.jpeg

E9996067-326C-42AB-A63E-1C6EA7B20E17.jpeg

DDF5818B-F727-4248-BA1A-7B560F9F0597.jpeg

9B52CADF-3D53-4CE9-9BF7-B51F21738C3E.jpeg

I sealed off the extra holes and put an o-ring at the base of the motor shaft to help reduce dust from getting in it. I’ve done this for the last couple years and it seems to work very well. Haven’t had a motor bearing fail yet. Of course I also put a bearing race from a spur bearing on the rear hub before clicking it in. I still like to make my own shock boots and these turned out good.

The motor is a mounted now and the mesh feels just about right. I’m using the Deet special motor mount which fits 40 mm cans. It’s perfect for the vorteks and I will run a 40 x 28 fan off a small 3s Lipo.

So here’s how she sits. I feel like I cut the body a couple of inches too short, but no big deal. I messed up this body anyway when painting it. I’ll do a new one eventually but for now this one will work. All I need to do is hookup the servo, ESC, install the receiver box, solder moter connections and mount the backflip LPs. That’ll have to wait for tomorrow because I need to pick up the kid soon and take her to the park. Oh… I must give the wheels a good going over first and reglue as necessary. But it’s almost done and I can’t wait to drive it!

D31023E2-33F0-4CE5-9418-02EDB250982E.jpeg

4566A281-D52C-4374-832E-3005326DBC0E.jpeg

14CEA3BF-480F-43C0-B9B6-70EAFB4DDA55.jpeg

4855BDC3-C465-413C-8811-1E44C9DEE28C.jpeg

6058A682-5AFF-429C-B921-24E555053C12.jpeg

B92A5384-0BCA-4F3C-B545-B57D5359B829.jpeg

5B5204E8-A3A6-453E-860B-776CF5DC8349.jpeg

ED82A7FA-EF01-4FD1-9B9B-87EAD22BF1FB.jpeg

At this point I'm just waiting for a video of Thing's first run. Dang this is gonna be good!
Yeah, like old yellers initial catastrophic run 🤪 naw, it’ll be great. I can’t wait. Hopefully I can get it finished up between tomorrow and Friday.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back