Vorteks Thing^2 (a Velo 4s build)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh hell yeah IT’S ALIVE!! Man I can wait to get it out. Need to figure out this remote also. I like the way it feels in hand so far. Got my center brace on finally. Pain in the ass it was.

0CFEF77E-0EB2-4FD8-9190-365E8771F41A.jpeg

55795792-F805-4093-ADCF-E7F401AF48C9.jpeg

F22B165B-B406-4197-A42B-8C9A36574CF9.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow! This car drives and jumps fantastic! It is pretty much set up almost exactly what I don’t want it. I just have a few adjustments to do. I also love this radio link RC4GS remote. It feels really good in hand and is spot on with reaction times and so forth.

There’s only one thing I don’t like about it. My thumb can’t reach the wheel so I can’t drive one-handed, and since I didn’t have my iPhone holder for the remote with me today I decided, with my infinite wisdom, to take video in one hand and just hit the trigger with the other while hoping for the best. It went pretty much as expected with me. Yup, it sure did 🤣 Watch until the end for a good laugh. Enjoy.

Wow! This car drives and jumps fantastic! It is pretty much set up almost exactly what I don’t want it. I just have a few adjustments to do. I also love this radio link RC4GS remote. It feels really good in hand and is spot on with reaction times and so forth.

There’s only one thing I don’t like about it. My thumb can’t reach the wheel so I can’t drive one-handed, and since I didn’t have my iPhone holder for the remote with me today I decided, with my infinite wisdom, to take video in one hand and just hit the trigger with the other while hoping for the best. It went pretty much as expected with me. Yup, it sure did 🤣 Watch until the end for a good laugh. Enjoy.
Right in your dog bite scar?!?!😆🤣😆😅😂

OMG!! I am in tears over here!! 😂 😂 Had to watch that a few times!!! You are an accident just waiting to happen, huh? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Glad there was no blood!!!

OMG!! I am in tears over here!! 😂 😂 Had to watch that a few times!!! You are an accident just waiting to happen, huh? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Glad there was no blood!!!
Waiting to happen?? No, no my friend. I am impatient and hate waiting 😂 yeah no blood or injury aside from a sore neck from falling. Weird huh?
Right in your dog bite scar?!?!😆🤣😆😅😂
Nah, the other side. I try to keep things even 😅

Oh yeah, this accident couldn't wait to happen. Just look at the beginning of this thread! :ROFLMAO:

Though, in all fairness, I couldn't wait much longer to watch Thing in action, sooo ... Velodromed is too nice to do it, so I'm just gonna go ahead and blame myself for the ...shenanigans.

Oh yeah, this accident couldn't wait to happen. Just look at the beginning of this thread! :ROFLMAO:

Though, in all fairness, I couldn't wait much longer to watch Thing in action, sooo ... Velodromed is too nice to do it, so I'm just gonna go ahead and blame myself for the ...shenanigans.
Well, if you look through my posts long enough you’ll see the badly broken foot from 2021, broken hand from last year, ripped up lips from a dog attack last October, couple surgeries end of last year… funny thing is I slowed down a lot after they fused my cervical spine (c2-7) in 2016. I don’t hurt myself near as much as I used to.

Well, if you look through my posts long enough you’ll see the badly broken foot from 2021, broken hand from last year, ripped up lips from a dog attack last October, couple surgeries end of last year… funny thing is I slowed down a lot after they fused my cervical spine (c2-7) in 2016. I don’t hurt myself near as much as I used to.
Okay, when you put it that way ... now I feel like a jerk. :unsure:

Okay, when you put it that way ... now I feel like a jerk. :unsure:
Naw man last thing I meant. I’ve a weird sense of humor at times. I was highly entertained by your posts lol
Naw man last thing I meant. I’ve a weird sense of humor at times. I was highly entertained by your posts lol
I’m just happy I didn’t actually get hurt for once.

I’m just happy I didn’t actually get hurt for once.

Dang it man! Never say things like that out loud....or type them even, you are tempting the fates! :eek: 🤣

Dang it man! Never say things like that out loud....or type them even, you are tempting the fates! :eek: 🤣
Really? I temp fate just by being alive so might as well cross that line often as I can 🙃

I’ve been trying to figure out how to attach rock guards on these v1 arms. No holes and the arms are to thin to drill some, I think. They are also curved a bit on the front of the arms so zip ties would probably not hold firm. I like to cut my own guards from Kydex so can make whatever size.
Any ideas on how to mount them y’all?

C726010F-E822-46D1-AF58-25F2D29E67E0.png

I’ve been trying to figure out how to attach rock guards on these v1 arms. No holes and the arms are to thin to drill some, I think. They are also curved a bit on the front of the arms so zip ties would probably not hold firm. I like to cut my own guards from Kydex so can make whatever size.
Any ideas on how to mount them y’all?

View attachment 269421
Maybe create ones that bend a little so you can wrap it around the chassis on both sides. Basically extending where the side guards are. Drill holes to screw it on?

(I just woke up and not enough coffee yet, so if it doesn't make sense, just ignore me! 😂

Maybe create ones that bend a little so you can wrap it around the chassis on both sides. Basically extending where the side guards are. Drill holes to screw it on?

(I just woke up and not enough coffee yet, so if it doesn't make sense, just ignore me! 😂
I was thinking last night maybe could attach them to the back of the chassis itself, which may be what you just said. I think.

Last edited:
I was thinking last night maybe could attach them to the back of the chassis itself, which may be what you just said. I think.
Yeah, I think that's what I meant. :ROFLMAO: Happy Friday the 13th!!! 🍻😂✌️

😑 good grief my neck and upper back have been in serious pain all day. I can’t believe I literally got whiplash from an RC car. Okay, it doesn’t take much considering my neck is mostly aftermarket parts (latest X-ray below) but still… I feel rather silly. Today I’m going to be more careful and find my remote phone mount thing I made awhile back or just not video at all. Walking while chewing gum at the same time is not my strong point I guess.

3541A535-C7D6-44BD-BCA7-DE7D5EBF611F.jpeg

😑 good grief my neck and upper back have been in serious pain all day. I can’t believe I literally got whiplash from an RC car. Okay, it doesn’t take much considering my neck is mostly aftermarket parts (latest X-ray below) but still… I feel rather silly. Today I’m going to be more careful and find my remote phone mount thing I made awhile back or just not video at all. Walking while chewing gum at the same time is not my strong point I guess.

View attachment 269543
Sorry to hear that man. Take it easy will ya!

Sorry to hear that man. Take it easy will ya!
Thanks bud. I am. Just running it easy today, working out a few kinks. Thing sure does jump beautifully. I’ve never used a ramp in my life for RCs but I am seriously tempted to build or find access to one with this car. I think I’m going to cut and make a chassis protector out of Kydex later while I’m figuring out how to attach rock guards. Maybe I could do a two and one, bending flaps up the rear of the Kydex and all. It takes a beating landing on rocks and being so much heavier than a regular 3s car it really shows.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back