Vorteks Thing^2 (a Velo 4s build)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Velodromed There comes a time in a man's life when he has to stop doing his own stunts, I think it's time for you to hire a stunt double.

classic film falling GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Huh 🫤 well it is an older 6s Kraton front shock that’s been on the rear of another 3s car for more then 18 months. I’d mounted it front right on Thing and one of the bad landings I had while practicing bent it. Maybe it was that last wreck I had. I do have a hard head after all.

Ok, I found and ordered new rods but don’t want to wait so…I just finished rebuilding a set of front mojave shocks and installed them using the inside mount this time. Now I have mojave shocks both front and rear. I am very curious to see how it behaves tomorrow. I absolutely love Thing so far and am very glad I built it! 😊

3FC707E9-0344-41CC-AB4A-3D9C3699B858.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks bud. I am. Just running it easy today, working out a few kinks. Thing sure does jump beautifully. I’ve never used a ramp in my life for RCs but I am seriously tempted to build or find access to one with this car. I think I’m going to cut and make a chassis protector out of Kydex later while I’m figuring out how to attach rock guards. Maybe I could do a two and one, bending flaps up the rear of the Kydex and all. It takes a beating landing on rocks and being so much heavier than a regular 3s car it really shows.
How ya feelin' today Chief? Hopefully better. That pain relief thingy you had installed in ya (installed....lol), that still working OK for ya?

How ya feelin' today Chief? Hopefully better. That pain relief thingy you had installed in ya (installed....lol), that still working OK for ya?
Hey buddy, I’m feeling better today. Still a bit sore. But I did get both the Vorteks Thing and old yeller as well as the dog and kid out most of the day, so now I’m tired also.

The spinal implant works. Not as much as I hoped, but it definitely works. It’s not the magic answer I was hoping for, but took me from barely functioning to fairly well functioning, and cut the over all pain back 30%. I got a long, painful way to go to get back in shape also. But I am much better off then I was just 4-5 months ago.

Hey buddy, I’m feeling better today. Still a bit sore. But I did get both the Vorteks Thing and old yeller as well as the dog and kid out most of the day, so now I’m tired also.

The spinal implant works. Not as much as I hoped, but it definitely works. It’s not the magic answer I was hoping for, but took me from barely functioning to fairly well functioning, and cut the over all pain back 30%. I got a long, painful way to go to get back in shape also. But I am much better off then I was just 4-5 months ago.
Glad to hear that man. I worry about you at times!! Take it easy. (y) 😁✌️

With what you've gone through, I can only imagine that 30% is a HUGE relief and gives you more functionality throughout your day. Happy to hear this, brother! Now ... if only you were as easy to fix as Thing and Old Yeller. :unsure: (We have the technology)

With what you've gone through, I can only imagine that 30% is a HUGE relief and gives you more functionality throughout your day. Happy to hear this, brother! Now ... if only you were as easy to fix as Thing and Old Yeller. :unsure: (We have the technology)
Yes, it was getting really bad and by mid 2022 I was at the point I could barely function. At least the meds and pain killers actually work now 😅

Yep, I built it as a stunt truck and it’s doing very well. I only have done three runs with it so far. Yesterday I was hitting a small 3’ jump at the back of the park repeatedly and I’m very happy with how it flies and flips as well as lands. It drives fantastic on the flats. I enjoy the heck out of it, and it is rapidly becoming my favorite car. It corners great and handles rough stuff very well.

Last edited:
Question for your center supports on these 2 builds you did:
You find a v1 kraton bar to fit the LWB, or resize the v2?

I scrolled through quickly again and could’ve missed it, but looks like you made your own support for the vorteks?

Question for your center supports on these 2 builds you did:
You find a v1 kraton bar to fit the LWB, or resize the v2?

I scrolled through quickly again and could’ve missed it, but looks like you made your own support for the vorteks?
I combined parts to make one for old yeller. I bought one off of Jenny’s for the 4s outcast or kraton, then I took it apart and using a shorter bar I already had, I forget what size at the moment, and put together one that fit. I got rid of the soft cushion thing and put my own hard silicon discs in also.

The one on the vorteks is a T-bone center brace for the vorteks. Unfortunately, T-bone went out of business last year. It would be easy to make though. I even bought a couple of aluminum pieces to make another one for my granite but never got around to it. Since I used granite shock towers I had to install mounts for the bar to attach to.

I just ordered the m2c short wheelbase chassis brace! I love how the one fits I got for my LWB build. It makes the car even more solid.

Nice, can you really call this a vorteks anymore?

Quick question, what did you use to cut the rear quarter off the body. Thanks.

Nice, can you really call this a vorteks anymore?

Quick question, what did you use to cut the rear quarter off the body. Thanks.
Yep. I could call it Fred if I wanted. We refer to it simply as ‘Thing’ though.
I used a really solid, strong pair of scissors and hacked it the hell off. It was already pretty torn up anyway.

I absolutely love this build. It is an excellent stunt car and extremely durable I’m finding. I need to get a ramp so I can practice jumping more. As for the M2C chassis brace I installed recently… it’s amazing! I had a direct land on a concrete edge from height, which you’ll see in the video, with zero damage.

Well, I forgot to install the bolt fastening the m2c chassis block to the motor mount before hitting the skatepark. Looks like I’ve ever so slightly bent the mount plate 😑 I’ve straightened it out best I can but still, I can hear the slight gear mis-match.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back