Infraction 4s or 6s on h/s gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myster_E

Reaction score
So I bought my infraction second hand and it came with a 27t pinion installed. I've only ran 1 set of 6s through it and boy did it get warm. So hot that I won't try that again. So the question is, should I just run 4s from now on or go buy an 18t pinion or something similar? Still have stock blx electronics, except for the radio. I've heard that compared to the new spectrum stuff this esc/motor are pretty good but I don't think it'll last long the way I ran it.

So I bought my infraction second hand and it came with a 27t pinion installed. I've only ran 1 set of 6s through it and boy did it get warm. So hot that I won't try that again. So the question is, should I just run 4s from now on or go buy an 18t pinion or something similar? Still have stock blx electronics, except for the radio. I've heard that compared to the new spectrum stuff this esc/motor are pretty good but I don't think it'll last long the way I ran it.
It has high speed gearing installed, you could probably gear down if you want.

I know I could gear down, but will normal gearing on 6s be easier on the esc than high speed gearing on 4s?

I'm not too worried about the motor, it has a fan installed and I've seen people running stock motor on 8s.

I know I could gear down, but will normal gearing on 6s be easier on the esc than high speed gearing on 4s?

I'm not too worried about the motor, it has a fan installed and I've seen people running stock motor on 8s.
Probably, you would also get more rpms with 6s.

More Rpm's probably means more tries 🤣 I guess for the cost of a single pinion I can just try both and see what I prefer...

In general a 27t pinion is very large for any extended use.
Speed gearing is always meant for 1-2 passes max with a cool down break before running again.

Any idea if your Infraction is a V1 or V2? The V2 came with 2.8 ratio diffs versus the 3.3 ratio. This makes a big difference in gearing choices/recommendations for you.
Hand brake & body color are some of the main features that make the V2 easy to identify.

Most people find something between 17t and 22t is ideal for them depending on their style of driving and ambient temps.

In general a 27t pinion is very large for any extended use.
Speed gearing is always meant for 1-2 passes max with a cool down break before running again.

Any idea if your Infraction is a V1 or V2? The V2 came with 2.8 ratio diffs versus the 3.3 ratio. This makes a big difference in gearing choices/recommendations for you.
Hand brake & body color are some of the main features that make the V2 easy to identify.

Most people find something between 17t and 22t is ideal for them depending on their style of driving and ambient temps.
It's a V1 for sure. 3.3 ratio diffs is faster or slower than 2.8?
I very much dislike high temps. Probably should just go get a 17t and play it safe.

It's a V1 for sure. 3.3 ratio diffs is faster or slower than 2.8?
I very much dislike high temps. Probably should just go get a 17t and play it safe.
3.3 ratio diffs make it slower which is a good thing for heat issues.

I agree on that idea of the 17t pinion. You will have a lot more fun staying with 6s and gearing down. I ran a Kraton 6s on 4s and it was rather tame/boring.

Something else just for information sake. The gearing will directly impact the amperage loads the ESC gets. 46/17 gearing = low/mild amperage 46/27 = high amperage.

High amperage = extra stress and heat.

3.3 ratio diffs make it slower which is a good thing for heat issues.

I agree on that idea of the 17t pinion. You will have a lot more fun staying with 6s and gearing down. I ran a Kraton 6s on 4s and it was rather tame/boring.

Something else just for information sake. The gearing will directly impact the amperage loads the ESC gets. 46/17 gearing = low/mild amperage 46/27 = high amperage.

High amperage = extra stress and heat.
Awesome, thanks for the info my man!

Powerhobby makes a direct replacement fan..makes huge difference 30mm its lite 12$
Pushs way more air.probly run up 2t with this fan

This one

Screenshot_20211019-131211_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I can safely assume you have a V1 Infraction, like myself. Having the older Non Spektrum electrics. Which are just fine. You need a decent motor fan setup.
And absolutely get a temp gun. Your assessment of "warm" and "so Hot" is just a guess at best. A temp gun is part of RC these days.(y)(y) Needs to be in your toolbox and out in the field, in your pocket at all times. Or risk frying up your rig needlessly.
The Infraction V2 has a different final drive ratio. Taller. So keep this in mind when asking around about pinion gears. Gear recommendations for a V1 inf. are different for a V2 Infr. Very important!
I'm running a 25T pin. on my V1 Infr. But for speed running into the 80's. ESC Punch is set all the way down. Dong this also causes less heat.
Running 4s is always an option. I don't know how your are driving this rig. Speedrunning or just drifting, smoking the tires and bashing it hard?:LOL:

Get a temp gun and get back here with those numbers.

Last edited:
So, I wanted to gear up my Typhon a bit at the same time. It had a 17t in it so I bought a 19t and put it in the Typhon and then put the 17t in the infraction. Changed out receivers so I can use my FSgt5 while I was at it. Should be a whole new animal now!

Thanks for all the advice. Still need to get a temp gun...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back