Typhon 4s typhoon basher thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh nortz

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Just got a typhoon, first upgrades will be some good off road tires and wheels. Any suggestions I was thinking proline bad landshape, I also found some cheap tires and wheels on ebay from China, any one know how well they hold up? They are around 20 bux for 4 and all sorts of wheel and tire combos... I like proline but you can never have to many tires...
20161009_200316.jpg
20161009_200322.jpg

With the china tires, you kind of just take your chances. One of the vendors I have used says explicitly - These tire are for 2s-3sonly, they will fail on 4s - I use them on my 2s SCT. They are badlands knock-offs. A few dozen batteries, not much wear, but a few small tears that probably would have been catastrophic on 4s.

I have some Duratrax Lockups for my Typhon. I do like them, but I can't keep them glued to the rims. Go figure. I bought un-glued, maybe in the future, I will buy pre-glued tires. The Duratrax tires are $50/4 vs the Proline $80/4.

I have Lockups and while i do like them, they do seem to get shredded easily.

I have bought a bunch of pairs of the China knockoffs but haven't tried them yet....I have to work on my gluing skills first as 6s may shred them

Humm. No cuts on my lockups yet. But recently I have only been track running. Friday track report - two batteries, and two Lockups unglued... LOL, Grrr...

duratrax are soft rubber and cheaply made I had a set of Sixpacks on my stampede on 3s couldn't keep them glued. I put these on it that came with my mugen race buggy they have better grip and I've empties and filled center diff with 100k. I will be getting some proline badlands for it soon and maybe try some badlands mx2.8 with the 17mm hex 2.8 wheels...

Attachments

• 20161012_160202.jpg
    20161012_160202.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 39
Just got a typhoon, first upgrades will be some good off road tires and wheels. Any suggestions I was thinking proline bad landshape, I also found some cheap tires and wheels on ebay from China, any one know how well they hold up? They are around 20 bux for 4 and all sorts of wheel and tire combos... I like proline but you can never have to many tires... View attachment 3066 View attachment 3067

Josh,

If you want them, I have a brand new set of stockers from my NERO BLX. 17mm hexes, offset should work, would look like a little monster truggy. May be a little over the top, but they would look insane on the typhon!

Josh,

If you want them, I have a brand new set of stockers from my NERO BLX. 17mm hexes, offset should work, would look like a little monster truggy. May be a little over the top, but they would look insane on the typhon!

those might bolt on to the Typhon but there would be no steering.

After spending money on a new typhon, a nice charger since mine recently broke, batteries, and some hop'ups im well over $700 so i completely understand wanting to keep a tire budget low. I looked at those cheap chinese tires but none of them say the tire compound and i wanted something soft for my track. I looked on ebay and found a used set of 4 AKA city blocks that have about 90% treadlife for $16 shipped. They were even preglued. I took a chance but for the price i definitely got a good deal. Just shop around and see what you can find because it definitely saved me a few bucks. Good luck and enjoy the typhon
1477504168834882551688.jpg

If you want cheap, good tires, start browsing racing webiste classifides like RCTech. Racers cleaning out their closets will often sell 5-10 SETS of tires, with only a little wear for cheap. Often for around $20-$40 a set... For my Kraton, I bought a box of 6 sets of tires for $75. All AKA or Proline, proper racing tires. only one set was over 50% worn.

those might bolt on to the Typhon but there would be no steering.

Oh ya? Actually, just went through an entire 5500mAh pack with this setup this morning with no issues, no rub.With simply tucking the body inside the chassis They clear with in both directions with 1mm to spare at full servo extension. With MINOR modification you'd have tons of debris clearance at all 4 corners. No issues at all on the rear. Tx was beeping at me that My motor was running a bit hot with the 34t pinion, but I have 2x Typhons, and this one is getting re-geared now because it's a blast to drive with these wheels! Super-Truggy!!! Thanks for the motivation to put them on.

IMG_5141.JPG
IMG_5139.JPG
IMG_5140.JPG

you know them tires balloon like mad right? it looks cool but is not even close to practical... badlands would be closer but still to big, proline makes a 2.8 wheel with 17mm hex they fit nicely I am ordering some soon, with the mx28 badlands. be awesome on this and monster slash.

well I tossed a 17mm pinion on it and it is well within temp range on 4s and 6s I may go to a larger size but I like it here until I figure out what tires to run, I don't need to go 70mph but..... lol I also started fitting a tbone front bumper on that is for a stampede 4x4. (my stampede is no more it is a slash now with full tbone front and rear bumpers) so I figured why not drill it out and get some use out of it.
FB_IMG_1477711503816.jpg
20161028_232547.jpg

you know them tires balloon like mad right? it looks cool but is not even close to practical... badlands would be closer but still to big, proline makes a 2.8 wheel with 17mm hex they fit nicely I am ordering some soon, with the mx28 badlands. be awesome on this and monster slash.

Do you own a Nero? Because I do, and the tires don't really balloon on it nearly half as bad as other models given the size and width; And, what little under 60mph they do - its up, not out. As stated previously, I ran 20 minutes on a 6s lipo and ran into zero issues. Regardless, not trying to sell this setup to your mom bruh - just proof of concept. ;)

yes I do own a nero. and yes the tires balloon if it is on 6s. your setup sucks have fun breaking poop. that's the worst looking buggy I've ever seen. peace
20161021_215849.jpg

well the typhoon decided it wanted new tires today. been running mostly 4s, changed the pinion to a 21 tooth and have been having a blast flying around my yard. I decided I wanted to see how fast 6s was... this is the result.
20161114_133730.jpg

I like to run 4s with this gearing my temps are fine no fans yet, gonna order some off road tires and have to either gear down or not run 6s when I get em... I have a brand new set of buggy tires but no way they will take 6s with this gearing. I had a feeling that the tires would blow up but gotta try lol

Hey guys, new member here, I've had good luck with lockups on 6s 18 tooth. Only had slight sidewall delamination, easy glue fix after huge ramp launches with few bad grass landings.

Hey guys, new member here, I've had good luck with lockups on 6s 18 tooth. Only had slight sidewall delamination, easy glue fix after huge ramp launches with few bad grass landings.
I'm not a fan of duratrax tires. had a set for my stampede 4x4 they were good for about 6 runs or so and they were almost flat when truck sat still like foams disintegrated or something. then the wheel stripped. I like proline. gonna get badlands soon.... no more 6s with 21 tooth pinion, was fine with 17 on 6s. but with 21 on 4s it's almost as fast as 17 on 6s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back