Outcast 4s Velo scratch build, LWB chassis (Old Yeller)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
(Figure I’ll put this under the 4s Outcast since many of the parts came from that car off of jennys.)

Ever since I built up Old Yeller (typhon/big rock mutation) nearly a year back, I’ve wanted to further modify it into a full 4S car. The wider footprint and bigger tires are probably the two main driving factors. I want to fill that niche between my 3S cars and 6S cars.

Once the new Kraton and Outcast hit Jennys I bought all the parts needed. Before my surgery I tore down Old Yeller and cleaned up the parts I intended to use again. I am going with the big rock/typhon long wheel base chassis and many of the stock parts from the new 4s cars. I’ve got a spectrum 130amp esc and new 4S motor off Jenny‘s that I’ll start off with (I have an MM2 esc and 4068, 2650kv surpass to install later on). M2C motor mount/brace, Amazon special 35kg servo and kimbrough servo saver, alloy steering rack, outcast 4s metal spur and diff for the rear, older style CNC diff for the front. New 6s shocks off Jenny’s from a Kraton top it all off.

I’m not sure if the existing body mount holes will work. If not, I’ll just get the exact same body and redo it the same way since I love how it turned out. For tires I went with a set of 4s Copperhead 2s. I like the full-size copperheads on my Kraton so figured they would work for this build as well.

Here is old yeller in 3S form. It’ll probably take me several weeks to do this while I’m recovering from surgery… but it will keep me busy at least 😊

C7288CF5-246F-493C-A958-9F18DE967E80.jpeg

Last edited:
I can’t believe how wide the arms are on these things! And it really threw me off for a bit that the front are shorter than the back. The arms are really stiff once they’re installed. Took a bit of reaming and sanding to get them to loosen up a bit.

And in other news…We finally have a nice weather in San Antonio. 80°F, just 30% humidity and Bosco The crazy lazy Catahoula is…well, seems like he’s enjoying it in his ‘no shame because I’m a dog and do what I want’ kinda way 😂

612AE356-DED0-4648-A7BD-D9A4F82171C9.jpeg

39F15922-083C-4F56-9D5D-84CDFDB7A9C8.jpeg

Last edited:
And in other news…We finally have a nice weather in San Antonio. 80°F, just 30% humidity and Bosco The crazy lazy Catahoula is…well, seems like he’s enjoying it in his ‘no shame because I’m a dog and do what I want’ kinda way 😂

View attachment 248273
Shame is when you steal:ROFLMAO:

Shame is when you steal:ROFLMAO:
Yeah he doesn’t do that. He just sits there and drools, moaning pitifully and acting like he’s starving to death till I give in and share a bit.

What type of metal are the new 4s diff crown gears made of? Is it sintered metal? The old CNC diff crown gear seems more solid.

Old on the left and new on the right in the first pic.

48493267-765F-4123-84A7-0AB211379798.jpeg

E5ED9062-9D2A-491A-B148-0BFC233F2D70.jpeg

C213D22E-4FF5-4B5A-9A5D-C3CF0DD1DA77.jpeg

F47434B3-DE6E-42F0-BAE9-32CB73578809.jpeg

A80C7459-FF00-4212-AA0D-9B5434C3A84B.jpeg

I’m trying liquid gasket again on the diffs. I’ve done my granite and vorteks but have not opened to check yet. I’m hoping it keeps much or all of the dust out so the grease doesn’t turn into paste.

Finally using the metal steering yoke thing I picked up many months ago. It seems solid! Hoping it helps slow the steering slop that develops over time.

DCFDD890-A234-43E9-B51F-9378A21BD405.jpeg

5058DE58-ADCF-4DD8-BEAE-B58861BD5A83.jpeg

5D53B535-E464-4EE9-8B3C-1DFE17A890D8.jpeg

Last edited:
@Velodromed I wish I could buy you a beer next week. Flying to Corpus Christi to inspect a truck Wednesday the 12th. Not sure of the distance but I think your surgery is close to then. Good luck under the knife and I hope it makes your QOL more enjoyable and easier. I could always Venmo you $ for a beer and we could meet and enjoy over a video call!
@Tex Koder same goes for you!

Let me know. I'll be in a hotel Bored as sh!t

@Velodromed I wish I could buy you a beer next week. Flying to Corpus Christi to inspect a truck Wednesday the 12th. Not sure of the distance but I think your surgery is close to then. Good luck under the knife and I hope it makes your QOL more enjoyable and easier. I could always Venmo you $ for a beer and we could meet and enjoy over a video call!
@Tex Koder same goes for you!

Let me know. I'll be in a hotel Bored as sh!t
That is very cool of you my friend! Corpus is couple hours from San Antonio if I remember right. I actually had my surgery last Monday and feel like utter hell still. Definitely appreciate the thought though!

🤔 The driveshafts appear to be different front and back where they connect to the differential. It’s not shown on the Exploded view in enough detail so I can’t tell which goes where. Can somebody with a 4s truck point me in the right direction please?

Oh, for the life of me I can’t figure out how to attach the sway bars at the bulkhead. It’s not at all like the 6S cars.

This has been such a slow build. I’m still hurting from the surgery and can’t spend more then 15-20min at a time working on it. Got the sway bars figured out finally. I’m hoping there is or will be an upgrade for the small ball piece that the sway bar ends locks into. Mine stripped out real quick.

I found a crack in the mud guard towards the back of the chassis 😣. It’s a 6 month old chassis so I’m not surprised. On my typhon I used a piece of HDPE to reinforce a badly cracked mud guard and it’s held well. This time I used a piece of kydex to reinforce by super gluing and bolting it tight. I’ll order a new chassis for when I need it. I also had an idea while doing this…

After seeing so many chassis crack beneath the end of the motor can, I will put a piece of HDPE there and see if it helps. It’ll fill that gap nicely as well. I also fitted Old Yellers body and realized there will be a gap between the rock guard and base of the body. I know when I trimmed this body I took quite a bit off at the bottom, so I think I’ll go ahead and order a new one before long and cut it to fit better.

Unfortunately I trimmed my Kimbourgh servo saver too much and ruined it. I shouldn’t have drimmled while feeling that bad. So I went with a new S692 servo and stock Servo saver. I’ll be rebuilding it again in a few months with a new chassis, motor and esc anyway and try again. The car is pretty much ready to finish I just need to feel good enough to do so.

305DED12-A683-4471-B2DD-6539227A4685.jpeg

0084294F-BEB9-43DB-9BDB-95AF7483D487.jpeg

Hope you get well soon so you can finish this bad boy and let it rip. 😎 👍

So I’d picked up one of the new 4S spurs off of Jennyrc. I spent over three hours these last couple of days trying to snap the motor module in. At first I thought it was because my hand is still weak. Second I though it there was some thing on the spur case/chassis that was impeding and keeping it from clicking in. Finally I thought I was just going crazy I was so fiddlesticking frustrated

Then I thought for a minute, grabbed a spur from one of my other cars and it clicked in with ease. I had a brand new hub set so I took off the rear part of the 4s spur hub and replaced it with the new rear hub. Again it clicked in instantly.

Three hours wasted and a lot of frustration to figure out some thing I could’ve right off the bat if I had thought about it 😑 but at least the car is almost done. I just finished modifying and putting together a center brace. I set it up so that it does not slide or compress. It’s a relatively solid brace with very little flex. All I need to do now is put on the hex, wheels, set up the fans and let her rip.

8AB379ED-7DD4-448A-BEF8-7E6A371B856C.jpeg

So I’d picked up one of the new 4S spurs off of Jennyrc. I spent over three hours these last couple of days trying to snap the motor module in. At first I thought it was because my hand is still weak. Second I though it there was some thing on the spur case/chassis that was impeding and keeping it from clicking in. Finally I thought I was just going crazy I was so fiddlesticking frustrated

Then I thought for a minute, grabbed a spur from one of my other cars and it clicked in with ease. I had a brand new hub set so I took off the rear part of the 4s spur hub and replaced it with the new rear hub. Again it clicked in instantly.

Three hours wasted and a lot of frustration to figure out some thing I could’ve right off the bat if I had thought about it 😑 but at least the car is almost done. I just finished modifying and putting together a center brace. I set it up so that it does not slide or compress. It’s a relatively solid brace with very little flex. All I need to do now is put on the hex, wheels, set up the fans and let her rip.

View attachment 252732
Your in good company, I do things like that all the time, can't figure out why it's not working like it should, go crazy for a couple of hours. walk away, come back, and it's obvious what I missed or did wrong. :banghead: The good thing is I usually learn not to make the same mistake twice...Note I said usually. :ROFLMAO:

Your in good company, I do things like that all the time, can't figure out why it's not working like it should, go crazy for a couple of hours. walk away, come back, and it's obvious what I missed or did wrong. :banghead: The good thing is I usually learn not to make the same mistake twice...Note I said usually. :ROFLMAO:
I figured out afterwards that the new slipper hub was manufactured wrong. Can barely plug the input gear into it when disassembled. Eventually I’ll work on it a bit with a file and see if I can smooth it out some. It does look a bit beefier inside compared to the 3s ones.

The car was sitting way to high on the 6s Kraton stock shocks and after some helpful advice from the forum regarding shock springs, she is sitting (mostly) level.

The front springs are 85mm, 4.6lb Team Associated yellow springs: ASC81220
55wt Shock oil
She still sits a tiny bit high, the 6s front shocks are 4mm longer then stock…but I like a bit more suspension up front anyway since our soil is very rocky and rough. I’m going to run a few packs before deciding to shorten the shocks or not.

The rear springs are 95mm, 5.4lb Arrma springs: ARA330782
60wt shock oil
They are perfect and the car sits level (including the battery and lid) with 3/4” preload. I also like that they are black, matching the front springs.

Now I just need to run the car…but we’ve all been sick for near a week, I’m still recovering from my surgery and it’s also been raining (thank god!). We have another big storm rolling through tomorrow so I’m hoping that by the time the weather clears I’ll be feeling better.

But I still may have to hold off. My wife’s scheduled for surgery on the 10th. She developed a sudden and rather serious umbilical hernia last week, most likely due to her major cancer surgery a year ago, so my poor wife has to go under the knife again😞 This will be her 4th surgery in the last 13 months.

Hopefully in a couple weeks I’ll get out. Hopefully.

You know we are all sending positive vibes to the Mrs. 😍 This year has been a doozy for sure. Mrs. Doom has another surgery scheduled for Dec.22.
Ugh wow, good wishes and prayers for Mrs doom! Man I hope next year is mellow and boring. I’d love a nice boring year…
Thanks buddy, I really appreciate you guys!

I just cut a couple of mud/rock guards for the rear. Think their long enough. If not I’ll cut new ones. I’m using 1/8th” kydex, super easy to work with. I use tin snips to cut the blank and a sand flapper on my Dremel to shape. I’ll mount them before the next run.

87F2AAEF-D8EF-4433-B47F-5D104C9A31C0.jpeg

Back