Outcast 4s Velo scratch build, LWB chassis (Old Yeller)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet! I honestly drive my 4s Kraton and OC more than any other rigs. I have 3 other 6s offroad rigs, and a 6s/8s infraction. The little 4s rigs get twice as much driving time.
Yup! I am thinking about selling my 6s Kraton to get a 4S Kraton lol.
Or better yet I might just return it, because when my wife got it for me she also bought the $60 insurance return guarantee.

Last edited:
Dang it 😑 front shock tower and chassis bricked. The chassis is old and has been through a lot so who cares. But the shock tower is rather new.

F727DFE8-3FED-4420-878D-99469A2B4F7E.jpeg

FD06608F-B27B-4A5C-90C5-0E1DB9BE6E36.jpeg

AF260F5C-9644-46A5-A416-7A6C4D8A90F7.jpeg

C1100F09-E54A-4357-B773-34D8CD60AADE.jpeg

Damn! That sucks but I'm sure you have the parts in the toolbox to rectify it! Hope it was a fun bash session! If not I have bulkheads, happy to send you one if needed. Just pm your address
They are 4S bulkheads. $17/pair. I think I’m going try out regular 3S bulkheads instead. The hell with the sway bars. I have extra regular bulkheads lying around.
Thanks man, I appreciate the offer!

Yup, I’m going to put regular shock towers (granite/big rock etc) on it for sure. The amount of abuse that I have put the regular shock towers on all my other cars through for the last 2 years is immense and I’ve never had one break. This feels quite irritating. It’s only on the 6th pack or so and the wreck was not very bad. I have no idea how this will work with the longer 4s arms though. I guess I’ll go back to 6s front Kraton shocks for the rear and Mojave front shocks for the front. I guess.

I wonder if Arrma changed their composite plastic formula. I need to get my 6S cars back together.

Last edited:
Well, there’s the problem. Done broked it in half. Just got the new towers in but I need a chassis, and that will have to wait. We’re holiday poor for a bit. Meanwhile I’ll finish tearing it down.

F112F908-8D57-46C6-BB29-6C220493EAA2.jpeg

6BE87F01-8314-4ACC-B5CB-530562415CC8.jpeg

F1FCFD9C-5C84-40EB-82DB-02BA8B98F930.jpeg

A little duct tape and she will be good as new! :ROFLMAO: Ouch!
After I fix it, I’m just gonna make sure I don’t do that 10 foot trail jump and accidentally run it under a 10” tall sign. Basically, I kind of decapitated it a bit. Totally my fault. I can admit that now because it does not sting as bad anymore.

If you're "holiday poor" ... would you like a new chassis? $16 on Jennysrc. Hell, I'll get it and send it to you if you want.
Man I truly appreciate the offer! ‘Holiday poor’ is only temporary lol. That’s really cool of you to offer man. I love this Forum and the people on it 😊

Recently I began using silicon gasket maker on the bulkheads. I’m just sick of how so much dust gets in and turns the ring/input gear grease into gritty paste. This was the first car I tried it on. I only managed a dozen or so runs before breaking it, but they were all on the super dusty dry lake bed so contamination would have already occurred as I’ve found in the past

It worked!! The grease is clean! It’s so easy to do and the cost is minimal. Completely worth the effort to protect the ring and input gears. Plus it should extend greatly the times between servicing. So I’ll be doing this on all my 3/4s Arrmas from now on. I also got a better look at the damage I caused. Yeah…I won’t do that particular jump again 😂

3FE460C8-6893-48A8-83D8-076BC482FC06.jpeg

B136B952-1DAC-4145-AED4-559E496D45AA.jpeg

DA1BAD51-983C-4258-8F12-0024838DAA12.jpeg

10555493-60B1-4EE2-96F0-48D4DCF14E3B.jpeg

834E80D9-DDDE-46A0-9379-E08B0FE94EC3.jpeg

Silver lining being that your theory worked, so that's a plus!

Let's just hope your next chassis lives long enough to see more than one differential maintenance period. :p
Yup it should. I’ll be more careful. Well, I’ll try to at least.
Nice. that is clean inside! 👍
I did a couple other cars and will wait longer before checking. Then I’ll be sure it works.

Thanks to @RadioHacktive very kind contribution of an LWB chassis, Old Yeller is back together quicker than expected! I went ahead and did a full tear down/rebuild, making sure to take care of a few details I’d let slide the first time I built it a month ago.

On the differentials, I had used liquid gasket to try to keep sign the dust out of the ring and input gear area. I did not notice any improvement over no gasket. There was already a significant amount of gunk building up after just a dozen or so runs. So I’m going back to what I found to work best awhile back, a light amount of superlube grease smeared around the input/ring gears only. No excess.

I very carefully balanced the tires. That little stand I got off of eBay months ago works well with 3/4s tires. I’ll have to mount it backwards on its base to do 6s tires. I used a stainless steel 8mm dowel to press the lead tape down hard onto the inside of the wheels. Hopefully it’ll stick. All four tires were horribly off-balance. Can’t wait to feel the difference. I’m working on my other cars tires as well.

My wiring layout will never win awards but I tried to make it cleaner. The small rocket fan runs off the ESC and is all that’s needed for winter. The larger 40 mm fan feeds off a 3s battery for when heat rises. Next I’ll be putting a 35 mm rocket fan into the 130a ESC.

I have a new 4s diff I got off Jenny’s in the rear and a cnc diff I’d built last year up front. Maybe I should have put the sintered metal up front but who knows. Hot racing diff yoke in the rear and RCAWD diff yoke up front. The spur is a cnc Arrma gear I’d gotten awhile back and 14t Arrma pinion. I made the rock guards out of Kydex. I made them a bit short, I think, so will try again later on.

I have a s652 servo in it for now, hooked up to a GLOBECAT metal bellcrank. I really like these things and have 3 cars with them now. The metal link alone is great. RCAWD center drive shaft support with stock 6s inner hub bearing. They are crap on a 6s car hubs but great for this application. The rest of the bearings are a mix of Jim’s, TBR, Winters Eve and even a few stock.

I put together my own center brace using parts from an 4s outcast brace off Jenny’s and a longer rod. I got rid of the soft rubber thing and put in firm silicon washers instead. It’s still hooked up to my dumbo for now. I’m getting a radiolink for Christmas so will hook that up later on. I want to do a new body at some point. This one is cut for the shorter 3s towers so there’s an uneven gap. It works though so no big rush.

Next I’ll be working on a 4s upgraded vorteks. Similar to this except with a swb chassis, backflip lps, my red vorteks body with fin removed, typhon wing mount and 4s outcast wing. I’ve been collecting parts for months and should get the last ones needed over Christmas.

C339F275-9911-4514-A44B-5D3F29C5AEAE.jpeg

8F64456D-62F8-4234-87DC-D246F8B4BE5F.jpeg

F9FFC11A-F73B-468D-A0D0-C2175B6C0CED.jpeg

E765E973-DB63-4F9F-A6B3-8860733EE113.jpeg

F8F87B7B-76E6-48DF-9489-715329436769.jpeg

Back