Mojave 4S vs 6S for durability

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the DX2E and 3E. Tossed them. I didn't even want to consider the BT module. The radio itself felt poor in repsonse. The wheel was awkward feeling and overall, the radio never felt connected to my rigs, (interference at times) and not fast enough in response. (poor Frame rate spec) Just me.
At the time for me, the BT module Option cost as much as a whole brand new multi-model capable Radiolink RC6GS. An awesome budget radio. Incredible range for speed running also. What I got to replace the stocker.
If DX3 works for you ....is what matters. :cool:

Would that be because of their large wheels vs what is on the Mojave?
Big tires plays a factor for sure, but also extend high power pulls plays a factor. With 6s at WOT our trucks are putting out around 3hp. That is a lot of power to put thru the small contact patch on the teeth on the 6s diffs. Grass gives high resistance, so any long high power pulls in grass will put a lot of wear on the diffs. My son loves speed, so give him a big field, and he will spend a good part of his time just zooming around at WOT...
Interesting to see the viewpoint. I'm new so have nothing to compare to except some cheap transmitters off Banggood for my kids' RCs. The DX3 was pretty cool to me because I picked up the Bluetooth module and see a lot of options to control on my phone, right down to steering endpoints and throttle endpoints if I wanted. It's pretty wild to me.
Being about to set endpoints is, IMHO, the most important radio feature to have after basic trim. 3rd is Model Memory, so you can set one radio to have several profiles. For cars I know I will share with kids or newbs, I will have an alternate profile with the throttle EPA dialed back to 30%-50%. Kids want to run my nice RC, I quickly set the profile to the 30% profile, and hand them the radio.

Would that be because of their large wheels vs what is on the Mojave?

Interesting to see the viewpoint. I'm new so have nothing to compare to except some cheap transmitters off Banggood for my kids' RCs. The DX3 was pretty cool to me because I picked up the Bluetooth module and see a lot of options to control on my phone, right down to steering endpoints and throttle endpoints if I wanted. It's pretty wild to me.
I also drive the Mojave on 4s regularly, even with that Banggood transmitter 🤣 (but don’t let the price fool you, the DumboRC is surprisingly good👍).
Top speed isn’t all that, but I run a 1650kv and 17T pinion. Since you have the stock motor, you should have about 20% higher top speed (due to the 2000kv motor). Try it with a good 4s lipo and you still can have a lot of fun with it. 4s is way easier on the parts.
Once you get the urge for more power you can always go to running it 6s.

I haves stated this many times. I myself also run 4s about 40% of the time. My Mojave is rather heavy and Probably use 6s most of the most with that one rig. Running 4s is fine also. Especially if space is limited or for smaller track type settings.
Yes, wear and tear is way much less, running any 6s rig with a 4s Lipo. Short of driver error, I notice that I never broke anything when running 4s with my 6s rigs. Even with some driver error, I don't break as much. 4s lipos are somewhat lighter and the lower speed helps in this regard. Also, the rig is more controllable and easier to drive. Easier to dial in and learn the nuances of the rig, without constant overpowering wheel spin.
My TLRT runs 4s exclusively. At the track and way back when in Surface RC , all 1/8 platform rigs were originally designed around a 4s Lipo. Food for thought.
>>>BTW, I absolutely never liked that Throttle limiter on the Spektrum radio's. I always left it on 100%, and just used a 4s when I wanted.
I tossed those Spektrum radios real quick.
I tryed the 75 percent for about 2 seconds then put it straight back to 100 :p

Something about the feel of the Brakes in all cases/DX2/3 radios, when I dropped the Thr. Limiter down, that I did not like.
No one ever comments about this.
But I noticed it.
Even my son noticed it on his Stocker V1 Infr. And he drives extremely well, speed runs well into the 100's, etc. Better than I in most cases. At 12 yo.

I also drive the Mojave on 4s regularly, even with that Banggood transmitter 🤣 (but don’t let the price fool you, the DumboRC is surprisingly good👍).
Top speed isn’t all that, but I run a 1650kv and 17T pinion. Since you have the stock motor, you should have about 20% higher top speed (due to the 2000kv motor). Try it with a good 4s lipo and you still can have a lot of fun with it. 4s is way easier on the parts.
Once you get the urge for more power you can always go to running it 6s.
Oh, I have the EXB and put in a Firma 160a and Firma 1250kv motor. Not stock. Haha

You can still run 4s in that 160 amper Spektrum. With a 1250 motor can, however, may not have enough grunt. IDK for sure. Trial and error dictates what works for you. The general rule is that when you Volt Down, you gear UP. And vice versa. Pretty much tuning/gearing for the Voltage you are using. To get the most out of it. Fine tuning Punch to accomodate in many cases.

Last edited:
What about running 6s with a lower punch setting? Isn't most of the wear on throttle?

It's the weight penalty. 4s is too heavy already.

It's like you already have 1000hp so you won't notice dropping to 850hp except it performs better in every way and survives crashes better.

Seen some new smaller batteries though, pretty impressive, 6s might keep going a while yet

Oh, I have the EXB and put in a Firma 160a and Firma 1250kv motor. Not stock. Haha
That’s definitely not stock! That’s an 8s system😉.
Did someone else just buy a Mojave recently with more or less the same question or is this the twilight zone?🤣
1250kv on 4s might be quite slow unless you can put a big juicy pinion on it.
I’d go for 6s with and start with a ‘normal’ pinion and a low punch setting.

That’s definitely not stock! That’s an 8s system😉.
Did someone else just buy a Mojave recently with more or less the same question or is this the twilight zone?🤣
1250kv on 4s might be quite slow unless you can put a big juicy pinion on it.
I’d go for 6s with and start with a ‘normal’ pinion and a low punch setting.
I think someone else was inquiring about what batteries to use. I jumped into the conversation to ask if lowering the battery was needed instead of just lowering the punch setting on the ESC.

Honestly, I think I lost track of the few threads I'm in about Mojave's since I just got mine last Wednesday. 😆

I think someone else was inquiring about what batteries to use. I jumped into the conversation to ask if lowering the battery was needed instead of just lowering the punch setting on the ESC.

Honestly, I think I lost track of the few threads I'm in about Mojave's since I just got mine last Wednesday. 😆
Man are you in for some fun👍. Mojave is a blast. Have a look at Scorched inner fenders (necessity IMO) and M2C +2mm wheel extenders/dual wheels nuts. That’s all.😉

Man are you in for some fun👍. Mojave is a blast. Have a look at Scorched inner fenders (necessity IMO) and M2C +2mm wheel extenders/dual wheels nuts. That’s all.😉
The seller I purchased my Mojo from included a set of brand new uninstalled scorched inner fenders. Are they really as much of a PITA to put on as the manual makes it seem?

The seller I purchased my Mojo from included a set of brand new uninstalled scorched inner fenders. Are they really as much of a PITA to put on as the manual makes it seem?
I saw I had to cut them myself and noped out of buying them lol.

I saw I had to cut them myself and noped out of buying them lol.
😂 it’s actually quiet easy, they provide you the scissors n the cutting locations are some what marked.
I went to install them the other day because I figured "what the heck, they were free, the least I could do is install the things". Then I saw the instructions and the cutting & marking involved and quickly put that project down 😂 Perhaps I'll revisit it this week.

😂 it’s actually quiet easy, they provide you the scissors n the cutting locations are some what marked.
Maybe I should give em a shot. I hate cutting bodies but at least the fenders are out of sight so it doesn't matter how badly I cut them. :ROFLMAO:

For those that have tried it, how different is running your 6S rig on 4S versus running it on 6S but with the throttle switch set to 75% ?

For those that have tried it, how different is running your 6S rig on 4S versus running it on 6S but with the throttle switch set to 75% ?
I've never driven mine on 6s with the throttle set to 75%, but I have driven it on 4s a handful of times. 4s is still pretty freakin fast, don't get me wrong. But the raw power just doesn't compare to 6s 😔

This video is very helpful. As the material is pretty strong cutting some corners can be a little PITA🤣. The end result is totally worth it👍.

Hey guys, just wanted to see what most of you run in your 6S rigs. I was at the hobby shop buying a new rear diff for my Mojave b/c the stock one took a crap. I started talking with one of the employees that I'm pretty good friends with now at this point. He told me that many people with 6S rigs often run them on 4S, or they turn the throttle down to 75% when running on 6S in order to minimize blowing diffs and wreaking havoc on other parts of the drivetrain. Do you guys typically always run your 6S rigs on 6S, or do you prefer 4S to minimize the stress of the parts?
The Mojave is just a big ass garbage can. Put it in the trash where it belongs. To make it into a worthwhile truck, you have to modify it to the point where it’s just a kraton. So just go get a kraton.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back