Granite 4x4 blx heat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLXLyfe

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
we have two granite 4x4 blx's, we usally don't run them long enough but today we ran both for nearly the whole packs, but most of the way through the motors were getting pretty hot 180F ish and losing power untill we let them cool.. we were running them pretty hard.

all stock gearing, 3s 5500mah 80c lipo. are others having similar things with heat? the ESC's are fine.
Should we purchase motor fans? if so what ones to connect to motor?

Same here on my granite. Screws long enough to get trapped in the fins. The wtf fan made a huge difference in temps. I used o rings at the bottom to shield the fan from the heat sync and maybe a little bounce protection.

Attachments

• 1E1928BF-5C4D-4968-B600-B1FD78535285.jpeg
    1E1928BF-5C4D-4968-B600-B1FD78535285.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 86
Same here on my granite. Screws long enough to get trapped in the fins. The wtf fan made a huge difference in temps. I used o rings at the bottom to shield the fan from the heat sync and maybe a little bounce protection.
I ended up buying two hobbypro 7.2v fans and run them off 6v.. yet to try.
20190420_183112.jpg
20190420_183034.jpg

I'm a fan of fans. So many options that can be very inexpensive to overly fancy and expensive. My BRCC gets hot and I prefer to stay under 5500mah lipo packs. A motor fan is essential imo if we want to run hard and long over more than one pack.
Even going the cheapo route will help but Hot Racing, Wild Turbo Fans, etc are very nice.
I removed my heatsink from the BRCC because I went to a bigger 18t pinion and didn't feel like figuring out how to fit it back on. I'm still at the same temps I was when it was stock and with the heatsink. I question the effectiveness of the stock heatsink but haven't run yet in 90F outdoor weather temps.
I'd say get a fan, cheap or not cheap and see how it goes. Would be cool to try a couple different ones with you having two of the same truck.

I'm a fan of fans. So many options that can be very inexpensive to overly fancy and expensive. My BRCC gets hot and I prefer to stay under 5500mah lipo packs. A motor fan is essential imo if we want to run hard and long over more than one pack.
Even going the cheapo route will help but Hot Racing, Wild Turbo Fans, etc are very nice.
I removed my heatsink from the BRCC because I went to a bigger 18t pinion and didn't feel like figuring out how to fit it back on. I'm still at the same temps I was when it was stock and with the heatsink. I question the effectiveness of the stock heatsink but haven't run yet in 90F outdoor weather temps.
I'd say get a fan, cheap or not cheap and see how it goes. Would be cool to try a couple different ones with you having two of the same truck.

im going to try a single fan on each also. i have a bigger fan im going to mount next to the motor and see if that helps even more. few different options.
In reality we shouldnt be getting this hot of temps and this much cogging from a stock setup. like yeah the truck is fast but we'd rather run for more than 1 pack at a time. we don't even have the option of dropping to a 14t or 13t because of the Nazi motor mount, Arrma does some cool things like power module but then adding a non adjustable plate is just a slap in the face

im going to try a single fan on each also. i have a bigger fan im going to mount next to the motor and see if that helps even more. few different options.
In reality we shouldnt be getting this hot of temps and this much cogging from a stock setup. like yeah the truck is fast but we'd rather run for more than 1 pack at a time. we don't even have the option of dropping to a 14t or 13t because of the Nazi motor mount, Arrma does some cool things like power module but then adding a non adjustable plate is just a slap in the face
They offer a motor mount now similar to what Hot Racing had out several months ago. Pretty inexpensive imo. They just make it easy with stock for beginners to change pinions. Makes em feel like they're working on the truck and learn to make fixes and performance upgrades.

Last edited:
I have the same issues too. I ran it hard and it had thermal shutdown. I was going to look into fans or motor change.

Are you guys checking that all your bearings are totally free?

i've never made it to thermal shut down, 180 is max motor temp i've had... now i can run countless packs at not go over 160.

I think a big factor in the overheating is the tall lip on the front of the chassis which really prevents good air flow to the motor and ESC.

Brian

Are you guys checking that all your bearings are totally free?
I did on mine. No bindings and I had replaced all my bearings with rubber sealed ones from Fast Eddy. I do run it full throttle on a huge field

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back