Kraton 5 &6s battery problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Fart51

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
  2. Talion
running on two 2s lipos the Kraton runs great with no issues. If I put a single 5 or 6s battery and install the loop plug, the truck runs awesome for 1 minute then will only run half speed. It's not getting hot, temp at 125. Using stock pinion. I bought a new 5s pack, still the same problem. Can someone tell me what the problem may be?

Don't know about 6s, but I was having the same issue with a new 5s pack. I discovered in this forum that the new 185BLX esc is not compatible with 5s packs do to the low voltage cut-off. You need to run the truck in NiMH mode with 5s.

Yes I too was disappointed in the inability to run 5s. Oh well.. Haha. Throttle control on 6s it is for me :)

Thrn of course 4s works wonderfully with the higher speed pinion as well.

I am still running on 5s and i am impressed with its performance. I love this truck!! Using the low voltage alarm is a bit of a pain but the Kraton seems to really like it (5s). I am getting good run times, plenty of power, and cool temperatures and it is 97 degrees where I am at. I think this esc could handle 6s no problem. I will be running on 6s when it cools off outside in a month or 2. I've run 14 packs through the truck and no issues or breakages! Only had to tighten one of the pillow balls after a head on collision. Anyway...all and all I am very happy with the esc...except for that annoying 5s thing!

I just got a brand new Arrma Kraton yesterday, I went over the entire truck and wired up 2 3S packs.
The stock TX and RX is absolutely horrible and I realized this on the first run in my back yard. I figure I would give the radio gear a try before I did anything. The truck was very erratic with the stock TX. With my 30 years of RC experience, this told me to ditch it ASAP. The truck took off on it's own but luckily I had grabbed the roll bar and held on. I was able to flip the ESC switch off real fast. Wow does this truck have some torque !!! I was 100% done with the Stock TX and RX at this time. I installed one of my Spektrum DX4S RX's, set the steering and throttle throw and took it back outside. This became a completely different truck with the DX4S in it. It was much smoother and operated real nice. It's pretty awesome on 6S and I didn't feel it was too crazy for this size of a truck. Although I do like the stock ESC and motor....I will be installing the Mamba Monster X and a 2200KV to try out next week. The roller is pretty stout and this big rig seems to handle awesome. My advice....toss the stock radio gear out.

Last edited:
I just got a brand new Arrma Kraton yesterday, I went over the entire truck and wired up 2 3S packs.
The stock TX and RX is absolutely horrible and I realized this on the first run in my back yard. I figure I would give the radio gear a try before I did anything. The truck was very erratic with the stock TX. With my 30 years of RC experience, this told me to ditch it ASAP. The truck took off on it's own but luckily I had grabbed the roll bar and held on. I was able to flip the ESC switch off real fast. Wow does this truck have some torque !!! I was 100% done with the Stock TX and RX at this time. I installed one of my Spektrum DX4S RX's, set the steering and throttle throw and took it back outside. This became a completely different truck with the DX4S in it. It was much smoother and operated real nice. It's pretty awesome on 6S and I didn't feel it was too crazy for this size of a truck. Although I do like the stock ESC and motor....I will be installing the Mamba Monster X and a 2200KV to try out next week. The roller is pretty stout and this big rig seems to handle awesome. My advice....toss the stock radio gear out.

I think the throttle trim knob was just turned a bit in the wrong direction for you. I have two of the 2016 Tactic Arrma 1/8 vehicles and absolutely no issues with it at all. However if you turn the throttle trim, or its bumped before you turn it on, then turn it on, it can go backwards or forwards (at a very fast/strong pace).

I feel very strongly that this was what happened with yours. :)

That was also something I cant have happen.....no way should a truck take off when you turn it on. If it sees a throttle signal, it should not arm itself. I have no trust in the stock TX and RX. The RX doesn't even have an antenna wire. Probably not needed, but it was odd to see no antenna on the stock RX and to be getting glitches. I felt like I was back in the old days running crystals in my transmitter and getting glitches. I'm sure you don't have a problem with yours but the stock TX didn't get my thumbs up. Traxxas has some good working cheap TX's. but Arrma's...not so good. The truck ran normal for me as soon as the DX4S was setup.

Last edited:
That was also something I cant have happen.....no way should a truck take off when you turn it on. If it sees a throttle signal, it should not arm itself. I have no trust in the stock TX and RX. The RX doesn't even have an antenna wire. Probably not needed, but it was odd to see no antenna on the stock RX and to be getting glitches. I felt like I was back in the old days running crystals in my transmitter and getting glitches. I'm sure you don't have a problem with yours but the stock TX didn't get my thumbs up. Traxxas has some good working cheap TX's. but Arrma's...not so good. The truck ran normal for me as soon as the DX4S was setup.

Everyone can get a lemon from time to time. I have had a few Traxxas radios, couple were tolerable, others had range issues. Friend of mine's Traxxas radio started cutting out at about 100 feet after only a few runs. He replaced it with a $40 Radiolink system and loves it. The radio that comes with the new Kratons is a Tactic (fairly reputable brand), I used it for a while and no issues whatsoever and great range to boot. Switched over to my FlySky GT3c because I like a few more tuning options. Highly recommend it by the way for anyone who wants an awesome budget computer radio.

Well that sucks, thanks for all the info. Kinda ticks me off, I called the Arrma tec support and spoke to Bonnie, I specifically asked if I could run 5s on my Kraton, she said absolutely. That's why I bought this battery. Waisted my money. Other than that, my Kraton is the best truck I ever bought. I have run about ten packs through it and not one single problem, not so much as a loose screw. I'm completely sold on Arrma. I have six other trucks, all top brands and this is the only one that seems to not have a weakness.

Well that sucks, thanks for all the info. Kinda ticks me off, I called the Arrma tec support and spoke to Bonnie, I specifically asked if I could run 5s on my Kraton, she said absolutely. That's why I bought this battery. Waisted my money. Other than that, my Kraton is the best truck I ever bought. I have run about ten packs through it and not one single problem, not so much as a loose screw. I'm completely sold on Arrma. I have six other trucks, all top brands and this is the only one that seems to not have a weakness.

I too am in love. Sold my ERBE. :)

I think I'm insane, but I find myself wanting a second Kraton... Hahaha - even though I have another Truggy (turned Monster Truggy) in my ET48.3. Hence me just buying a new Kraton body to cut for my ET48 - lol.

Everyone can get a lemon from time to time. I have had a few Traxxas radios, couple were tolerable, others had range issues. Friend of mine's Traxxas radio started cutting out at about 100 feet after only a few runs. He replaced it with a $40 Radiolink system and loves it. The radio that comes with the new Kratons is a Tactic (fairly reputable brand), I used it for a while and no issues whatsoever and great range to boot. Switched over to my FlySky GT3c because I like a few more tuning options. Highly recommend it by the way for anyone who wants an awesome budget computer radio.

Funny thing is...I don't feel I got a lemon, it's just a cheap TX and I hate it. Moral of the story is....the Kraton is a heavy, powerful rig that has a chassis platform that handles awesome. It gets real smooth and much safer with a quality TX installed for starters. I know the low quality TX's can and will work fine but this truck deserves better. I was surprised how much smoother my Kraton ran after the swap. It's a great chassis platform that deserves better radio gear. This thing is going to be awesome once it gets all new electronics. As a rtr... it's already impressive.

It should run on the 5S battery without a problem because it says 4S-6S. MaxAmps is even selling a 5S advertised for the Arrma Kraton.

Bottom line....this truck deserves some higher quality electronics !!!! It never fails....my rtr trucks always get a Castle Creation power system installed. I rather not scratch my head and figure out these gremlins....I paid $400 for this new Kraton and I'm way under the price of a new E-Revo. The extra loot is going into electronics and the stock ones will be sold. I like this Chassis platform much more than the Revo.

Good luck with the 5S...I can't see why it wont work. All I know is 5S isn't very common compared to 4S and 6S. I would just run 6S and dial the truck in....that gets easier with a computer TX. I highly recommend 6S and a quality TX. Toss the stock electronics....just my opinion.

Last edited:
I think you hit the nail on the head, Vanning. For sure, I was referring to the stock radios alone that can be lemons sometimes, not the Kraton. The Kraton is one hell of a machine, I have no complaints yet and I have run it almost every night since I got it. I run 6s every time, and being able to trim out with expo and endpoints makes it all the better. I have also replaced my servo with a high-torque Savox and did the metal servo mount mod. Really livened up my steering. Anyway, glad to see you are as impressed with the Kraton as we are!

running on two 2s lipos the Kraton runs great with no issues. If I put a single 5 or 6s battery and install the loop plug, the truck runs awesome for 1 minute then will only run half speed. It's not getting hot, temp at 125. Using stock pinion. I bought a new 5s pack, still the same problem. Can someone tell me what the problem may be?
Could be a bad solder joint in the loop plug.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back