Granite 550 Motor for Voltage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Senton 3s
  4. Talion
  5. Vorteks
  6. Voltage
I'm seeing some Redcat 16t 550 motors for cheap online and was thinking about picking them up for inevitably needing to replace them at some point. I'm pretty sure the Voltage uses a 540 and I'm also pretty sure I saw someone put a 550 motor in one without issues.

Would anything prevent me from using most 550 brushed motors in the Voltage?

I'm seeing some Redcat 16t 550 motors for cheap online and was thinking about picking them up for inevitably needing to replace them at some point. I'm pretty sure the Voltage uses a 540 and I'm also pretty sure I saw someone put a 550 motor in one without issues.

You are only limited by width not length, unless you hit the tire with the motor can, but that would be a really long motor and I don't think they make them that long. A 550 is a physically larger motor. Same 36mm diameter, but while 540s are typically about 50mm in length, a 550 can be anywhere from 55mm to 90mm long.

Yeah it will be okay. I’ve used a mega 550 and an injura 550 motors in the voltage.

The stock ones on all three of my voltages never failed as I cleaned them out often. I wanted more power though so eventually put brushless motors (550 size cans), cheap escs and tried 3s…but it was to much. Diff cups and then diffs themselves started breaking, so I went back to 2s.

Volteges are fun as long as you realize that they have power limitations. Also, don’t try to upgrade the front steering links. They tend to pop off under impacts and that saves the c-hubs/hubs from breaking. On one car I put metal front steering links that screwed in and immediately began breaking other front end parts because the links wouldn’t pop off in hard impacts.

I noted all the upgrade attempts on all three of my volteges over time here:
Thread 'Voltage 2WD brushless conversion, Velo’s learning curve build.'
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...conversion-velo’s-learning-curve-build.39035/

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know the dimensions changed by length. Good to know. Looks like I also need to take a look at how to clean brushed motors. I'm pretty sure dirt is what killed my first cheapie RC motor.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know the dimensions changed by length. Good to know. Looks like I also need to take a look at how to clean brushed motors. I'm pretty sure dirt is what killed my first cheapie RC motor.
After every run I would blow out the motor with compressed air and then spray inside with electrical cleaner and then blow more compressed air. Lastly I’d put a drop of super lube on front and rear bushing or bearings (which ever it has). I’ve never burned out a brushed motor in the last year of use with that method, and we have tons of dust here in Central Texas.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back