Kraton 5s or 6s?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ggradtech

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I have run my Talion on 5s and 6s with a 15T pinion. It seems a bit faster on the 6s, but not a whole lot faster. On 6s it does wheelies, but not on 5s. Not that wheelies are a GOOD thing LOL. My question is this....... what is your opinion on 5s vs 6s? You could always go up a bit in pinion size on the 5s right? What is the benefit of the 6s if you could swap pinions for more speed? I'm guessing that "absolute brute force" is increased with the 6s over 5s, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Just looking for some opinions if you don't mind. Thanks!!

It is my understanding that the esc does not recognize 5s and therefor running your lipo battery below the voltage cutoff can happen. This will cause damage to your battery. You can install a low voltage alarm onto the setup, it's easy from what I have read, just haven't done it. I run 4s and the occasional 6s.

This is true. I set my ESC to Nimh and run a low voltage.alarn. I have future plans to run a Castle or Hobbywing ESC in the future anyways. Those type ESCs will adjust to a different cell count.

You will need to decide what is best for your taste, we have the option to purchase Mode 1 gears from 12 and up, we are given the speed gear and the option for 4 or 6S battery choices for Lipo, and that is where I stick with the info as I am learning it is not all about speed but about tuning your own model for your liking. Let us know what you decide speed and dirt may not mix, it is noted in the documents.

I think that Arrma dropped the ball a bit on the ESC supplied. It doesn't make any sense that you need to run either 4 or 6s without 5s being included. Seems the only way to use the 5s is to use Nimh setting. Not a big deal, but it would have been better if the BLX 185 ESC just "sensed" the Lipo count instead of needing to bypass the settings just to allow 5s batteries.

How do you run in Nimh mode? Its in the "setup settings" for the ESC. It' the first setting I believe. Keep in mind though that your Lipo cutoff will now be turned OFF. Either run a separate Lipo buzzer or time your runtimes so you don' kill your lipos.

How do you run in Nimh mode? Its in the "setup settings" for the ESC. It' the first setting I believe. Keep in mind though that your Lipo cutoff will now be turned OFF. Either run a separate Lipo buzzer or time your runtimes so you don' kill your lipos.
thanks. Sort of didnt make sense. read it a billion times to get it lol

+1 liking 5s, as its defenitely the sweet spot - with seperate lvc alarm.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back