5v LED Light Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atsuji-Chan

Reaction score
Hello! I am looking to add addressable 5v LED strips to my 3S Typhon. I will be using an LED Bluetooth Receiver which can connect to my phone to program LED patterns. The receiver has a barrel connector for power input and can passthrough that power to the LED strips. I will be plugging an adapter into the RC receiver, cutting the ends off and connecting it to a barrel plug adapter for the Bluetooth receiver. This will connect to the LED Bluetooth receiver and then to the LED lights.= which are IP67 rated and will be connected to each other through more weatherproofed cable and silicone sealant (I like to ride in the water)

What is the output voltage of the slr300 spectrum receiver? Is it 5v? If it not I can use a voltage regulator with a heatsink to feed a constant 5v to the LED bluetooth receiver. Also what is the amperage it can output? I'm going to be using at least 15 5V LEDs which the manufacturer claim will draw about 5 watts max but most likely will be drawing less because I will be using one colour at a time.

And assistance or ideas are appreciated.

This all depends on what the ESC BEC output is set to. This determines what the Rx voltage and amps will be. RX is powered by the ESC's BEC setting. I would focus on what the Amp requirements are needed for your lighting setup. Most BEC's volts are 6v. Maybe your lighting can handle 6 volts. IDK. But lighting that requires high amps is no good. Being a hog along that BEC circuit. Using a step down regulator may be overkill. U Just don't want to exceed the amp load specs of the BEC or you will end up with RX brownouts. And the servo takes up most of the amp loads. ST Servo is always the priority along the BEC circuit. You can easily smoke the BEC of the ESC if you overload it. Even fry the Rx while you are at it.

This all depends on what the ESC BEC output is set to. This determines what the Rx voltage and amps will be. RX is powered by the ESC's BEC setting. I would focus on what the Amp requirements are needed for your lighting setup. Most BEC's volts are 6v. Maybe your lighting can handle 6 volts. IDK. But lighting that requires high amps is no good. Being a hog along that BEC circuit. Using a step down regulator may be overkill. U Just don't want to exceed the amp load specs of the BEC or you will end up with RX brownouts. And the servo takes up most of the amp loads. ST Servo is always the priority along the BEC circuit. You can easily smoke the BEC of the ESC if you overload it. Even fry the Rx while you are at it.
Approximately 50mA per LED as max brightness with all 3 subpixels on (white) and 40mA for the BT receiver. so in total a conservative estimate of maybe 800mA? and that is "worst" case scenario. What does Rx mean by the way?
Maybe I could try starting small, just the BT receiver and a couple LEDs. If that works ill move on to more testing. If it does not work then I could simply get an external 5V BEC, connect it to my Lipos and pretty much be good to go as long as there is sufficient cooling?

edit: Looks like my ESC is 6V BEC. Why not use a 5v voltage limiter on the leads going to the BT LED receiver? 6v down to 5v should be fine as long as I get a quality one that will be consistently cooled.

Are you sure you need 5volts and 6volts will be no good? There is usually an acceptable voltage range allowed.
Rx= Radio's Receiver, where you will be powering the Lighting BT control from.
You could always use a separate battery to power your lights. Just another option. Might be better to isolate the lighting. So as not to disrupt the BEC circuit. Some ideas....

Are you sure you need 5volts and 6volts will be no good? There is usually an acceptable voltage range allowed.
Rx= Radio's Receiver, where you will be powering the Lighting BT control from.
You could always use a separate battery to power your lights. Just another option. Might be better to isolate the lighting. So as not to disrupt the BEC circuit. Some ideas....
Manufacturer of the BT receiver says its rated 5v~24v so I guess I should be good. Overvolting LED strips isn't the best idea, then again they are cheap!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back