6 pole brushless motor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I love my granite and how it performs and would like a little bit more low speed or crawl out of it…I just get the urge sometimes to crawl I guess. I know can go sensored but that’s expensive. How do six pole motors stand up, like the one below?

F11CD6DB-C15C-4E81-BCDB-D4065241D933.png

Hi @Velodromed ,
Having 3 Crawlers here, 2 Axial 10.2's and 1 TRX-4, I have been served much better with Brushed motors. I tried non sensored Blx and didnt like it. Basic BLX sensored didnt appeal to me either. 1/10 Stuff I had here in my bin. It seems Crawler Transmissions with their super low gearing are just better suited for Brushed. There are sensored Blx ESc/motors out there that are $tuned$ for crawling. For me, I have much better control with a brushed setup. It depends how you like to drive and crawl. For trail hiking at a faster paced speed non sensored Blx may not matter much. But in the rocks and in technical comp terrain, I have much more control with brushed motors. Holmes Hobbies are the best brushed motors. Reedy makes some nice 5-slot Crawler Brushed motors also. But Holmes I use exclusively. Cogging will get the best of your rig even with a 6 pole non-sensored motor, IMHO. But hey you can try it out. Cogging will be reduced much with lowered gearing. How much you can dial out is trial and error. My spin. I like to dial in my crawlers with slow and low end gearing. Brushed works best for me. And many others. But BLX motors is where many want to be. With other surface RC rigs, Blx is king no doubt. But I feel just not with the Crawler segment. I am comfortable with Brushed motor maintenance and tuning them. I started this hobby with Brushed. Thats all we had back then. Good luck.
:cool:

Hi @Velodromed ,
Having 3 Crawlers here, 2 Axial 10.2's and 1 TRX-4, I have been served much better with Brushed motors. I tried non sensored Blx and didnt like it. Basic BLX sensored didnt appeal to me either. 1/10 Stuff I had here in my bin. It seems Crawler Transmissions with their super low gearing are just better suited for Brushed. There are sensored Blx ESc/motors out there that are $tuned$ for crawling. For me, I have much better control with a brushed setup. It depends how you like to drive and crawl. For trail hiking at a faster paced speed non sensored Blx may not matter much. But in the rocks and in technical comp terrain, I have much more control with brushed motors. Holmes Hobbies are the best brushed motors. Reedy makes some nice 5-slot Crawler Brushed motors also. But Holmes I use exclusively. Cogging will get the best of your rig even with a 6 pole non-sensored motor, IMHO. But hey you can try it out. Cogging will be reduced much with lowered gearing. How much you can dial out is trial and error. My spin. I like to dial in my crawlers with slow and low end gearing. Brushed works best for me. And many others. But BLX motors is where many want to be. With other surface RC rigs, Blx is king no doubt. But I feel just not with the Crawler segment. I am comfortable with Brushed motor maintenance and tuning them. I started this hobby with Brushed. Thats all we had back then. Good luck.
:cool:
Thanks for the input! I won’t go back to brushed and can’t/won’t spend the money on sensored so when I do get a new motor I think I’ll try the 6 pole outta curiosity. I don’t need actual crawling ability, just enjoy a bit of slower technical stuff sometimes and the granite gets ‘cogging bogged’ down somewhat.
Thanks man!

Hey like I said, give it a try. Dial it and have fun. 6 pole is the direction to go.
Brushed is not appealing to so many. I get it. I go through streams, Blizzards, Mud Rain storms hike for miles. Brushed motors are cheap to replace and drain out from water ingress, They keep going. BLX motors are generally sealed "somewhat" and when water gets in them they fail easily, they contain the water/ mositure etc. But brushed is considered an old school flavor for most.

Hey like I said, give it a try. Dial it and have fun. 6 pole is the direction to go.
Brushed is not appealing to so many. I get it. I go through streams, Blizzards, Mud Rain storms hike for miles. Brushed motors are cheap to replace and drain out from water ingress, They keep going. BLX motors are generally sealed "somewhat" and when water gets in them they fail easily, they contain the water/ mositure etc. But brushed is considered an old school flavor for most.
Good thing I avoid water 😁 except when a family member drives one into the lake. Only happened twice but the clean up was a pain. I deal so much with dust I just don’t want to deal with another difficult natural element.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back