Kraton $60 substitute for a used $60 Spectrum 62 motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turn2burn

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'v got a EXB build and was thinking of buying a used stock motor someone just pulled from their BLX on ebay or here, there $60 on ebay and even a new one I saw but I think its counterfeit. I know some say don't buy used but Im trying to put in a few hundred buck extra, like I was upgrading a BLX. But are there any good motors for $60 bucks? I know Leapord is popular but they are more like 90. I don't need to go balls to the wall yet.

Thanks. The Spectrum looks cheep, cant go wrong with that. Those hobby star and unbranded HW especially look good, 4274 looks perfect.
Would they be better than the spectrum?

Thanks. The Spectrum looks cheep, cant go wrong with that. Those hobby star and unbranded HW especially look good, 4274 looks perfect.
Would they be better than the spectrum?
The unbranded Hobbywing would likely perform about the same as the Spektrum only difference is the kv as technically they are the same size the unbranded Hobbywing is only 4274 because of the ribs on the can.

Cool Ill stick with stock then, a good place to start before I commit to a heaver/bigger motor. With the HW max6 being both a sensor and sensorless esc I'v heard it can do low rpm for rock crawling also. Having a esc like that makes it flexible for other motors down the line.
Its rare a companies original hard wear is that good.

Cool Ill stick with stock then, a good place to start before I commit to a heaver/bigger motor. With the HW max6 being both a sensor and sensorless esc I'v heard it can do low rpm for rock crawling also. Having a esc like that makes it flexible for other motors down the line.
Its rare a companies original hard wear is that good.
The Max6 is not sensored. The MMX8S is though.

The Spektrum electronics are made by Hobbywing to Spektrums specifications.

Good to know. Does that mean the Max6 wouldnt be good for rock crawling?
I've tried crawling with a sensorless esc and at low speed the motor just cogs with a sensored setup it is nice and smooth.

The unbranded Hobbywing would likely perform about the same as the Spektrum only difference is the kv as technically they are the same size the unbranded Hobbywing is only 4274 because of the ribs on the can.
I believe @Rich Duperbash runs the lower 1700kv's and likes them. If I remember, and he sends these hard. Yeah the raised ribbing adds 2mm. So it can be deceiving at a quick glance. Basically its a 40mm can internally. Ribbing is a Plus IMHO. Just slap on a fan mount and Fan(s). No Heatsink wanted/ needed. (y)
Not a fan of the Spektrums. Maybe they are the same Quality?? IDK. I wouldn't use a 2050kv with a Max 6s, if I had other options. I would go lower kv's

Seeing as how it's a kraton i'd want a bigger motor anyways. The larger wheels and mass of the vehicle def get pushed around easier by a beefy motor. My go to is the hobbystar 4092 1730kv in almost all of my rigs. It's a little more but if you paired that with a max6 you'd have a killer combo.

The 4092 is a long can, motor mount need tapping? Ribbing I don't get, why I thought the max 6 would be an easy option. It does say on the site its both sensord and sensorless. https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max6-esc?variant=40122427736179.
I liked that HW 4278 but it might Be under powered And heat up. Unbranded I like too. I just don't want it to cog. The spectrum with the right escape could do this? Ill look into that ribbing setup thanks

Last edited:
There seems to be some other options for 4092's which people like also, theres a few extra ounces, do people find that to be an issue?
At 100 bucks you can also get a Leopard (HW) or some other ones HW gets a little expensive. I imagine the 1650kv 4092 by Surpass, Rocket, is junk? They are really cheep. Thats cool it would pair well with a Max6 HW but now someone says its not sensored.

Im so used to rc planes and haven't seen a sensorless motor used with a sensored esc. It does look like you have to switch the esc to sensored which might be a pain. It just would be nice to not have coging at low rpm. My planes are so smooth through out the rpm range but they don't have that kinda torque to deal with.
Would I have to tap threads for the 4092? Seems weird to have this long unsupported motor.

The 4092 is a long can, motor mount need tapping? Ribbing I don't get, why I thought the max 6 would be an easy option. It does say on the site its both sensord and sensorless. https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max6-esc?variant=40122427736179.
I liked that HW 4278 but it might Be under powered And heat up. Unbranded I like too. I just don't want it to cog. The spectrum with the right escape could do this? Ill look into that ribbing setup thanks
States:
  • "Compatible with sensorless brushless motors and sensored brushless motors (only in sensorless mode)"
Max6 is Not a Sensored ESC. It will work with any Sensored or Non sensored motor. But "in sensorless mode". True for any Non Sensored ESC.
Cogging is what it is. Unless you run a legit Sensored ESC and Sensored Motor together, with the accompanying Sensor "lead" attached to both.

There seems to be some other options for 4092's which people like also, theres a few extra ounces, do people find that to be an issue?
At 100 bucks you can also get a Leopard (HW) or some other ones HW gets a little expensive. I imagine the 1650kv 4092 by Surpass, Rocket, is junk? They are really cheep. Thats cool it would pair well with a Max6 HW but now someone says its not sensored.

Im so used to rc planes and haven't seen a sensorless motor used with a sensored esc. It does look like you have to switch the esc to sensored which might be a pain. It just would be nice to not have coging at low rpm. My planes are so smooth through out the rpm range but they don't have that kinda torque to deal with.
Would I have to tap threads for the 4092? Seems weird to have this long unsupported motor.
The max6 isn't sensored. The new max8 is. no threads to be tapped, it has m3 and m4 threads in it. I use the 4092 in every 6s armma except for the infraction and i would have no issues throwing it in that one as well. Leopard may only come with 3mm holes it seemed like but i don't know for sure. I've always gone hobbystar since you can usually find them on sale on rcjuice. Rocket looks like the same motor with a different label on it to me.

bandit senton 2.jpg

k42.jpg

mojave10.jpg

rc6.jpg

rc7.jpg

senton4.jpg

street typhon.jpg

talion weight.jpg

Leopard is their own company not rebranded Hobbywing. Surpass, Rocket and GoolRc use the same OEM but idk who it is, I do know that GoolRc is the oldest brand of the 3 though.

When it comes to motors for the most part all of the cheap motors are actually pretty good and perfectly acceptable for bashing rigs for speed runs I would definitely spend the extra coin on TP or something name brand. Just keep an eye on the bearings as that is usually where they tend to cheap out.

Cool thanks guys. Well Max 8 it is, its also the same price as the max6, and lower amps. But now the question is what motor.
I would like to go with this combo, max8 v2 and their 4278kv 4278 motor although some said this may run hot Im planning on running it on 4s at first then moving up to 6s. Looks like a good deal,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295364686500

Good to know about the cheaper motors as options. What a nice rig, looks like it doesn't have enough dirt on it! Its massive. I like how the inside looks.
So now the question is what motor would be sensored? Leopard 4274 1800kv looks interesting, about same power as stock maybe.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back