6s Charger Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC617

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a lightly used Kraton 6s V5 and it came with a 6s 5000mah 45C battery. I've read what I can in a short period of time on chargers (I'm completely new to lipo RCs) but am going in circles as to the best approach for getting a charger. Ideally I wanted to spend $100 or less, however I would like to avoid spending $100 now only to realize once I have more experience that I needed something more and realizing the $100 would have been better spent putting it towards a better setup. What I think I am looking for:

-Charger that can charge my current battery and potential future 6s 5000-6000mah
-While I want to protect for 6s, I'm thinking my next battery pack will be a 4s (don't need 6s all the time).
-I don't think I need a dual charger as long as the charger doesn't take forever to charge the batteries I end up with.
-Not sure all the features I need but at minimum I believe I need balance charging, discharging and storage

From what I'm seeing it looks like cheaper (~$100 or less) AC chargers are 100-200W max and I'm not clear what watt level output is is ideal for 6s. If I need something with higher output it seems like I need a DC charger with a separate power supply (maybe 30V 10A).

I'm sure my RC usage style is a big factor, however I'm not sure where I will end up at this moment. I'm thinking I would only use it for 30-60min on any given time and I don't think I need a super fast charger to "get me back in the game" as quick as possible. Also I don't think I would need something that can be used in the field, again to "keep me in the game".

I don't mind investing in something that gives me some flexibility to grow but at the same time I don't want to needlessly spend to only to have potential that I will never use.

I would appreciate any recommendations, personal experiences etc. Thanks.

If you don't want to wait on charging then you need a charger that is capable of a decent amount of watts.

Examples to figure out use ohms law: Voltage X Amps = Watts
6s @ 5000mah 25.2v x 5 = 126 watts
6s @ 6000mah 25.2v x 6 = 151.2 watts
4s @ 6000mah 16.8v x 4 = 67.2 watts
4s @ 8000mah 16.8v x 4 = 134.4 watts

So if you've got a charger that can only do 80-100 watts then only one of the above scenarios can charge at 1C rate. To charge at 2C (or two batteries at same time) rates than you'd double the above numbers. 2C on the above scenarios also tops out wattage wise for most AC chargers, you'll need to have a decent amount of DC wattage to go to higher rates or more batteries at same time. 30v @ 10amp is only 300 watts, you'll want more than that.

Hope this helps.

This charger works for me with enough power on AC and setup for 2 batteries but also capable of DC: https://www.smc-racing.com/Chargers?product_id=541

Do yourself a favor and get a good charger from the get go. This one is not expensive and something you can grow into. Hota D6+, charges 6S batts fast, no separate power supply.
20201115_114108.jpg
20201115_113644.jpg

Do yourself a favor and get a good charger from the get go. This one is not expensive and something you can grow into. Hota D6+, charges 6S batts fast, no separate power supply.
View attachment 125682View attachment 125681
I just picked up a lightly used Kraton 6s V5 and it came with a 6s 5000mah 45C battery. I've read what I can in a short period of time on chargers (I'm completely new to lipo RCs) but am going in circles as to the best approach for getting a charger. Ideally I wanted to spend $100 or less, however I would like to avoid spending $100 now only to realize once I have more experience that I needed something more and realizing the $100 would have been better spent putting it towards a better setup. What I think I am looking for:

-Charger that can charge my current battery and potential future 6s 5000-6000mah
-While I want to protect for 6s, I'm thinking my next battery pack will be a 4s (don't need 6s all the time).
-I don't think I need a dual charger as long as the charger doesn't take forever to charge the batteries I end up with.
-Not sure all the features I need but at minimum I believe I need balance charging, discharging and storage

From what I'm seeing it looks like cheaper (~$100 or less) AC chargers are 100-200W max and I'm not clear what watt level output is is ideal for 6s. If I need something with higher output it seems like I need a DC charger with a separate power supply (maybe 30V 10A).

I'm sure my RC usage style is a big factor, however I'm not sure where I will end up at this moment. I'm thinking I would only use it for 30-60min on any given time and I don't think I need a super fast charger to "get me back in the game" as quick as possible. Also I don't think I would need something that can be used in the field, again to "keep me in the game".

I don't mind investing in something that gives me some flexibility to grow but at the same time I don't want to needlessly spend to only to have potential that I will never use.

I would appreciate any recommendations, personal experiences etc. Thanks.
Definitely sage words by the Armadillo ....... spend some $ to get a decent charger --- the one he suggests may be a smidge over $100 unless you find it on sale... .....

Also look under.... forums.....electronics..... recommend me a charger.... lots of reading and suggestions....

AGREE 100%....... with balance charging and storage function...... safety for LiPo is absolutely #1, even with the smallest 2S, I would still HIGHLY recommend balance charging and storage functions..... I personally got the Dynamite 2 battery charger from Horizon Hobby, $110 more or less....went on sale a few days after it arrived ---- 😡

I charge 3S with it ... 2 at a time..... I would suggest something bigger for 4 or 6S bricks..... Were I to have 4 or 6S, Armadillo's suggestion would be on my short list.....
Definitely sage words by the Armadillo ....... spend some $ to get a decent charger --- the one he suggests may be a smidge over $100 unless you find it on sale... .....

Also look under.... forums.....electronics..... recommend me a charger.... lots of reading and suggestions....

AGREE 100%....... with balance charging and storage function...... safety for LiPo is absolutely #1, even with the smallest 2S, I would still HIGHLY recommend balance charging and storage functions..... I personally got the Dynamite 2 battery charger from Horizon Hobby, $110 more or less....went on sale a few days after it arrived ---- 😡

I charge 3S with it ... 2 at a time..... I would suggest something bigger for 4 or 6S bricks..... Were I to have 4 or 6S, Armadillo's suggestion would be on my short list.....
Yeah, the link Slick2500 provided will take ya there

If you don't want to wait on charging then you need a charger that is capable of a decent amount of watts.

Examples to figure out use ohms law: Voltage X Amps = Watts
6s @ 5000mah 25.2v x 5 = 126 watts
6s @ 6000mah 25.2v x 6 = 151.2 watts
4s @ 6000mah 16.8v x 4 = 67.2 watts
4s @ 8000mah 16.8v x 4 = 134.4 watts

So if you've got a charger that can only do 80-100 watts then only one of the above scenarios can charge at 1C rate. To charge at 2C (or two batteries at same time) rates than you'd double the above numbers. 2C on the above scenarios also tops out wattage wise for most AC chargers, you'll need to have a decent amount of DC wattage to go to higher rates or more batteries at same time. 30v @ 10amp is only 300 watts, you'll want more than that.

Hope this helps.

This charger works for me with enough power on AC and setup for 2 batteries but also capable of DC: https://www.smc-racing.com/Chargers?product_id=541
Thanks for the helpful info. Based on your and many others recommendation I went with the Hota D6+. Also picked up a 4S SMC battery as well to get to free shipping as it appears they are viewed favorably on this forum as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back