Kraton 6S Hard case vs soft case (for Kraton v4)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastwolf1228

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Dear Arrmy,
I've just sold my Granite and (hard case 3S) and about to order the V4 Kraton and a battery.
Soft pack 6S batts are considerably cheaper than hard packs.
If soft packs are safe, then why are hardpacks even a thing?
Should I spend the extra to get a hardpack?

My likely usage: park/field runs with jumps no higher 4 feet high, carpark speed runs... so likely crashes will be generally limited to cartwheels and the odd tree that jumps out of nowhere . I will 100% NOT be doing R_duperbash or RCdude81 type driving.

Please kindly advise... I have tried my best to search this forum.
Many thanks.

You should be OK with a softcase. be careful about running anywhere with lots of small stones or rocks as they can puncture soft case lipos.

Hard case packs offer an extra level of insurance and I would recommend them if you were going to get into doing some jumps.

I've been running softshell 6S batteries since March in the Kraton on variety of terrain, including crushed granite gravel, and haven't had any issues. The plastic wrap seems tuff enough but a layer of gorilla tape couldn't hurt i guess. Batt brands are HRB, Zeee, gens-ace-r-spam.

Most of the places we run are in the mines and gravel pits so we don't run soft packs, it's too easy to pick up a rock or stick.

Last edited:
I run 4s hardcases in my typhon.. These takes hard hits by jumping.. All of my packs have marks in the hardcase where the screws are that hold the battery tray in place.. I do think it can puncture a softcase after multiple runs..

For my double 3s packs i run softpacks.. But.. I had some 2mm spare polycarbonate sheeting.. Touch as nails! Wich i cut up.. My softpacks are lined with velcro, so is the poly.. I just velco stick the poly around my 3s packs to make a hardcase

Hardpacks here in the UK are quite a bit more expensive than softpacks, also harder to source..

To the extent that I'd rather smash soft ones and replace them than pay over the top for hardpacks..?

What kills them? Destroy? Meaning they ignite, or just puff?
You may be quite an aggressive driver if you're YouTube videos are anythj5 to go by?
Never had one go nuclear. Bit they bend, otuff and drop cells.

My problems with softpacks is bending and impact causing the cells to shift inside the shrink pipe. Bad landings on the nose or rear will cause the battery to violently smash itself into the battery tray taking on its shape. Heavy front or rear landings where the chassis flexes will cause the battery to bend and sometimes stay that way. They still work fine though...

My problems with softpacks is bending and impact causing the cells to shift inside the shrink pipe. Bad landings on the nose or rear will cause the battery to violently smash itself into the battery tray taking on its shape. Heavy front or rear landings where the chassis flexes will cause the battery to bend and sometimes stay that way. They still work fine though...
I flatten them with a hammer. No good??

My soft packs usually smoosh on hard impacts. Hard case survive even being ejected on pavement. They weigh and cost more, but it’s worth it to me.

Softpack + frontal impact =

IMG_2857.jpg

whoops ????

My only option are 2 dxf soft packs 5000mah 3s lipos for my kraton 6s i have 2 old 3s lipos but the internal resistance is weird going to resolder the balance leads on because a few seem about to break and ruining the measurement

I only run hard case. Doesn't make sense to me to try to save $20 on a soft case.

I’m using powerhobby soft cases wrapped in T. rex tape (cheap version of gorilla tape), with three layers of yoga mat in the battery tray and I’ve had zero issues so far.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back