6s motor w 3s stock esc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djdjdjshsh

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
So I have a typhon 3s buggy and I’m trying to put a 2050spektrum motor in it which is the same motor used in 6s and was wondering if I could do that and keep the stock esc or would I have to buy the 6s motor and esc combo

It can be done but will not give you favorable results and may shorten the life of the ESC. I am running the150/2050 combo in my 3s Typhon with 26/50 gears and huge tires. Little bit of low speed cogging and the brakes suck but the top end and torque that come in are a blast .

20221116_222330.jpg

What are you trying to accomplish? Stuffing a 40 sized 2050kv motor while keeping the ESC and pack voltage the same will be a huge detriment to speed if you keep the same gearing. You need to pair the motor kv with the battery voltage. Also Stock motor is a 3652 - you could go to a longer 3670 or 3674 motor and run on 4S to keep it light with much more torque than the stock motor.

Personally I run a 4068 2650kv surpass motor on my big rock with good results. I had to gear it accordingly, but ran for quite some time with no issues (it's currently my son's car, so it isn't as abused anymore). With the larger motor, the power band is noticeably wider, and it has more lower end torque. It's also easier to keep cool. BLX100 has seemed to take it just fine. The stock 2050kv motor is a 4074 size, so I don't see the extra 6mm over my 4068 making or breaking the difference.

TL;DR, if you gear appropriately to match stock speed or slightly lower, it will likely be fine. You might shorten the life of the BLX100, but it's not that great of a ESC to begin with. So that might be an excuse to upgrade.

Personally I run a 4068 2650kv surpass motor on my big rock with good results. I had to gear it accordingly, but ran for quite some time with no issues (it's currently my son's car, so it isn't as abused anymore). With the larger motor, the power band is noticeably wider, and it has more lower end torque. It's also easier to keep cool. BLX100 has seemed to take it just fine. The stock 2050kv motor is a 4074 size, so I don't see the extra 6mm over my 4068 making or breaking the difference.

TL;DR, if you gear appropriately to match stock speed or slightly lower, it will likely be fine. You might shorten the life of the BLX100, but it's not that great of a ESC to begin with. So that might be an excuse to upgrade.
Good to hear. I’ve been thinking about trying a 4068. Thanks man!

What are you trying to accomplish? Stuffing a 40 sized 2050kv motor while keeping the ESC and pack voltage the same will be a huge detriment to speed if you keep the same gearing. You need to pair the motor kv with the battery voltage. Also Stock motor is a 3652 - you could go to a longer 3670 or 3674 motor and run on 4S to keep it light with much more torque than the stock motor.
I mainly didnt want to buy a whole new esc but I bit the bullet and decided to just trick it out and was thinking about just getting the 2050kv motor and 150 esc combo then putting a 32t pinion gear and 65t spur gear on the motor and probably metal differentials, would this work fine or not (I’ve been into rc for almost a week so please be patient if my ambitions don’t make sense I’m very new)
I mainly didnt want to buy a whole new esc but I bit the bullet and decided to just trick it out and was thinking about just getting the 2050kv motor and 150 esc combo then putting a 32t pinion gear and 65t spur gear on the motor and probably metal differentials, would this work fine or not (I’ve been into rc for almost a week so please be patient if my ambitions don’t make sense I’m very new)
-thank you
Also idk why it replied 3 times sorry about that

-thank you
Also idk why it replied 3 times sorry about that
I’ve 2 years experience with 3s cars (have 5 of them) and I learned to enjoy them within their means. I was constantly chasing repairs and issues from over upgrading at first. So I got a couple of 6s cars and enjoyed them. I still wanted more out of my favorite 3s car though so I did a full rebuild (pic below) using many of the new 4s parts. Now I’m totally happy, it can handle the additional power and bashing style I enjoy. I’ll be doing similar with a vorteks next and I still have my 6s cars, which are many steps above the 3/4s cars in terms of quality and tech. Can shoot for the moon upgrading one without the limitations of the plastic 3/4s line.

The 3s line is great but since you’re just starting out…go slow. Learn to drive, jump and enjoy until you want more and your skills can handle, then decide if you want 4s or 6s and run with it. Keep the 3s for a guest car or when you have limited space.

B438ED8B-7CE9-450C-8786-B73B53F00778.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve 2 years experience with 3s cars (have 5 of them) and I learned to enjoy them within their means. I was constantly chasing repairs and issues from over upgrading at first. So I got a couple of 6s cars and enjoyed them. I still wanted more out of my favorite 3s car though so I did a full rebuild (pic below) using many of the new 4s parts. Now I’m totally happy, it can handle the additional power and bashing style I enjoy. I’ll be doing similar with a vorteks next and I still have my 6s cars, which are many steps above the 3/4s cars in terms of quality and tech. Can shoot for the moon upgrading one without the limitations of the plastic 3/4s line.

The 3s line is great but since you’re just starting out…go slow. Learn to drive, jump and enjoy it until you want more and your skills can handle it, then decide if you want 4s or 6s and run with it. Keep the 3s for a guest car or when you have limited space.

View attachment 259024
I'd follow @Velodromed's advice and enjoy the car for what it is first. You say you are newly into RC. My advice would be to get to know the car and it's strength and weaknesses before you go buying anything for it. Otherwise, it's not an RC hobby, it's a spending hobby.

You can still enjoy the 3s trucks without many upgrades. Give it some time and log some hours behind the wheel.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back