Kraton 6S or two times 3S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japeape

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
Hi,

Anyone here have experience with using a 6S battery compared to two 3S's in series?

I know speed runners use two packs in parallel to increase capacity but I don't see the benefit of using packs in series.

Do you agree?

3s packs are cheaper, hard to find a hardpack 6s battery as well. A lot of us use them as we also have other 3s rigs that the batteries can be used with. Really it all comes down to preference and how you run your rig.

I bought single 6S packs for the Kraton, easier to use, charge, less wires under chassis and probably saves a little weight. With that said, I also use 3S packs because I also have them for other 3S rigs. All personal preference.

In air stability might be different between 1 heavy pack on 1 side or 2 lighter packs on either side, but I have no data to support that. I guess that depends on the layout of the other components on the chassis.

Hi,

Anyone here have experience with using a 6S battery compared to two 3S's in series?

I know speed runners use two packs in parallel to increase capacity but I don't see the benefit of using packs in series.

Do you agree?
Only use one 6s. Using two batteries is a mess and increases resistance. Also, if one battery goes bad, then you are stuck with one new one and one used one. Not worth the hassle and headaches. I experience this with my 8s rigs, but I don't have a choice ?

2x 3s takes longer to charge, unless you have a dual charger or something. Even if you behave one, it uses an extra charge port you could've used for another battery.
hard to find a hardpack 6s battery as well.
I think SMC has a good one. 6500mAh, $100 hardpack.
BUT they also have $30 5200mAh 3s LiPos, wich are a way better deal (mAh per $), but than again, charging takes longer

Only use one 6s. Using two batteries is a mess and increases resistance. Also, if one battery goes bad, then you are stuck with one new one and one used one. Not worth the hassle and headaches. I experience this with my 8s rigs, but I don't have a choice ?

The flip side is that one bad cell in a 6S is an expensive toasted battery. One bad cell in a 3S amd you have one still good 3S.

I'm not very educated about LiPos. What is wrong with running an old pack with a new one? Does it damage the new one?

I'm not very educated about LiPos. What is wrong with running an old pack with a new one? Does it damage the new one?
No it can damage the old one. The short answer is the internal resistance of the 2 packs will be different, but as long as your packs aren't far apart in ir you should be okay.

This is actually the reason why every manufacturer(no one that sells lipo batteries is a manufacturer they are just resellers and they of course won't tell you this because they want you to buy more batteries) of batteries says not to mix new and used batteries.

Last edited:
If you match mAh and C rating and internal resistance between the two are close, you should be fine.

Or... get a couple 3S trucks. The day I have a bad 3S from the pairs I have is the day I order a Big Rock. ?
Ideally you should stick with the same manufacturer and the same series since C ratings are just made up numbers. Company A's 50c lipo is never going to be the same as company B's 50c lipo.

Ok, thx all, so more practical considerations rather then one setup delivering better performance then the other.

As I am already running 2x4S and have a dual charger I am just going to see what is cheapest and having 3S packs for future smaller cars can be good but then again I am also thinking about getting a 2x6S boat so I am sure I'll find a use for the packs :)
In air stability might be different between 1 heavy pack on 1 side or 2 lighter packs on either side, but I have no data to support that. I guess that depends on the layout of the other components on the chassis.
On my kraton I only have one battery tray on the left side, so can't choose.
On my kraton I only have one battery tray on the left side, so can't choose.

If you need anything cheap, I've heard a lot of great things about SMC. In the EU, where Iive, gensacearespammers is widely available and is quite cheap (I got a 8500mAh 3s for €85). And ARRMA Forum randomly adds 'arespammers' in my comment, but it isn't there when I try to edit it out

HRB and Goldbat!! Both amazing both dirt cheap, others to like "zee" and "ovonic" are ok cheaper ones. The IR on the cells of both HRB/Goldbat are just insane. Ive owned both for over a year and they have never failed.

between me and my buddy 5 HRB's "6s 5000mah is $70" but IR is literally 1 m ohm per cell on all of them . The Goldbat's we have 2 6s's so far, 1 5000, and 1 6000, $50 and $60. These are all IR of 20 m ohm or less per cell.

Plus Ive had two 3s 3000mah goldbats for one of my quads for almost 2 years. And one more 3s 650mah for my racing drone. All have insanely low IR and are cheap as dirt. lol.

I wouldn't recommend them unless I was certain they are good. And I've been using lipos since they came to the rc world. I have yet to see a manufacture of an expensive battery have less IR then the HRBs.

Just tossing it out there, If they are some of the best cells alive and are cheap why not. lol

To the original question use as few packs as possible. But if its all you got is 2x3s run em.

If you need anything cheap, I've heard a lot of great things about SMC. In the EU, where Iive, gensacearespammers is widely available and is quite cheap (I got a 8500mAh 3s for €85). And ARRMA Forum randomly adds 'arespammers' in my comment, but it isn't there when I try to edit it out
Yeah, was looking at SMC's 150C packs for some extra punch but after doing a few runs on 8S on 2 50C lipos I don't think I need them :).
HRB and Goldbat!! Both amazing both dirt cheap, others to like "zee" and "ovonic" are ok cheaper ones. The IR on the cells of both HRB/Goldbat are just insane. Ive owned both for over a year and they have never failed.

between me and my buddy 5 HRB's "6s 5000mah is $70" but IR is literally 1 m ohm per cell on all of them . The Goldbat's we have 2 6s's so far, 1 5000, and 1 6000, $50 and $60. These are all IR of 20 m ohm or less per cell.

Plus Ive had two 3s 3000mah goldbats for one of my quads for almost 2 years. And one more 3s 650mah for my racing drone. All have insanely low IR and are cheap as dirt. lol.

I wouldn't recommend them unless I was certain they are good. And I've been using lipos since they came to the rc world. I have yet to see a manufacture of an expensive battery have less IR then the HRBs.

Just tossing it out there, If they are some of the best cells alive and are cheap why not. lol

To the original question use as few packs as possible. But if its all you got is 2x3s run em.
Thx, I actually have two small 3s HRB packs for my wltoys 144001. Will check out the bigger ones.

Thx, I actually have two small 3s HRB packs for my wltoys 144001. Will check out the bigger ones.

I think SMC has a good one
This is a 5400 SMC hardcase.
20190810_185332.jpg

Smc is harder to get in Europe, I went with 4 3S packs from gensacearespammers, same type as my 4S ones figuring that if I ever get a smaller car or one with two battery brackets that would be easier.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back