Typhon 6s suspension on 3s Typhon FINALLY dialed in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r a y

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
And I'm SUPER thrilled with how it drives now! And lemme just preface that I run mainly on hard surfaces.

Long story short, I roasted my rear diff last fall. So over the winter I ordered Arrma HD steel crown and steel input gears, along with Hot Racing aluminum yolks for front and rear and rebuilt both diffs, using 30k diff oil as well. While I was at it, i noticed a bent front shock, so decided to just order a set of 6s Typhon shocks front and rear.

However, after running the car I wasn't happy at all. Had both spring perches maxed out, ride height looked ok, still a bit high for my taste, but the spring rate was just way too soft. Acceleration squat and brake dive were just way too much. Font skid plate would scrape during hard braking and i just wasn't a fan of that. Body roll was very bad too, inside rear wheel would lift on certain medium speed turns (this is why we need sway bars), and would traction roll on hard/high speed turns. Turns that the stock set-up used to handle just fine. Frustrating. Figured it was the added weight of the metal diffs and suspension?

Ended up ordering front Mojave springs for the front and front Kraton 6s springs for the rear since they both had stiffer spring rates, figured id see what that would do. Yeah, no. Car sat waaaay too high and would traction roll even worse.

So saw the "How to lower your RC/Shocks" video in that pinned shock upgrade thread and figured id give it a try. Had a bag of 3x7x2mm silicone o-rings laying around from a different project. Took the shocks apart and stacked 5 o-rings on each shock shaft, also used heavier 710cst shock oil.

Ran it today and man oh man it came out perfectly! VERY happy with the results. Ride height is perfect and the car handles like a buggy should! Tight and responsive, like my ex-gf. Corners like a damn slot car now!! Anyhow, that's my story. Thanks for listening and hope this helps anyone else out there!

PXL_20220506_231239696.jpg

PXL_20220506_230730347.jpg

PXL_20220507_001209186.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20220507_195839105.MP.jpg

traction

Last edited:
how are those tires in terms of traction

NGL picked these up on a whim because i needed new street tires and they were cheap on Amazon. So far the traction seems good, but not as sticky as the Bandito C2's I ran last summer. They still hook up well on acceleration, brake straight, and lateral grip is more than acceptable. Will be picking up another set of Banditos soon so I can do a more comprehensive comparison for myself with this new suspension setup.

Awesome! I was thinking about getting the exact same shock combo. Did you add the 5 o-rings to both F & R ?

Awesome! I was thinking about getting the exact same shock combo. Did you add the 5 o-rings to both F & R ?

yup, stacked 5 front and rear! The 2nd pic is a comparison of the fronts, 1 with and 1 without o-rings. Once i started working on the rear got completely in the zone and forgot to take pics! hah

yup, stacked 5 front and rear! The 2nd pic is a comparison of the fronts, 1 with and 1 without o-rings. Once i started working on the rear got completely in the zone and forgot to take pics! hah

Thanks! I just need to figure out the top mount. I need something solid because I am using the GPM shock tower brace that has adjustable shock mount holes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back