Talion 6s Top Plate across the board

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsonfancy

A guy that won't give up easily.
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Notorious
  6. Talion
  7. Typhon 6s
Why are there two holes here?

When I make front chassis braces I slot one of the holes a little so to fit two button heads for more strength.
02fc7bbc-bf1e-45ef-a6c1-aeb20612f668-jpeg.35673
Excellent! Is it not feasible to produce these in volume? or time constraints? My dad and younger brother are in engineering sales and service (valves etc) and deal with machinists daily for custom stuff. I overlooked the potential and their connections until I got into RC. I'm curious and wonder how you approach making your custom parts and what tools you have to use.

Excellent! Is it not feasible to produce these in volume? or time constraints? My dad and younger brother are in engineering sales and service (valves etc) and deal with machinists daily for custom stuff. I overlooked the potential and their connections until I got into RC. I'm curious and wonder how you approach making your custom parts and what tools you have to use.
I’m a machinist at 3m Corp. in their super abrasive division and have been working in machine shops of one kind or another since the late ‘80’s. I have a few old world type machines (no cnc, readouts or power feed...) in my garage for light machining, gun smithing and rc parts. Bridgeport milling machine, Southbend lathe, sander, and a band saw. Making this stuff in volume would not be possible as it is very time consuming. My design work is all done with cardboard from cereal boxes and scissors to try and duplicate what I have in my head. When something looks like it will work I draw it out on a piece paper and get to work. It’s really funny compared to what I have at work but cannot use any of their equipment for personal use.
These days I am far too lazy to get a side hustle going and I think the guys that are doing it are fantastic. Voltage, M2C, POS, and Mahkor(sp?) are especially good. The equipment and software packages are very expensive. Having a cnc milling center is expensive not only to own but to maintain. If you need to call a guy in for repairs and they are there for a couple days it is hundreds of dollars and hour. I don’t know if rc stuff is their only gig but if it is it s a slim market and I wish them well.
Subbing work out is another possibility however machine shop rates are around 100-150$ an hour depending on where you are located. If you have friends in the business and can get the friends and family discount it might be worth it. Start out by giving your brother a set of plastic chassis braces and see if his guys will make some out of aluminum.
Sorry for all these words that do not have anything to do with that extra hole...

I’m a machinist at 3m Corp. in their super abrasive division and have been working in machine shops of one kind or another since the late ‘80’s. I have a few old world type machines (no cnc, readouts or power feed...) in my garage for light machining, gun smithing and rc parts. Bridgeport milling machine, Southbend lathe, sander, and a band saw. Making this stuff in volume would not be possible as it is very time consuming. My design work is all done with cardboard from cereal boxes and scissors to try and duplicate what I have in my head. When something looks like it will work I draw it out on a piece paper and get to work. It’s really funny compared to what I have at work but cannot use any of their equipment for personal use.
These days I am far too lazy to get a side hustle going and I think the guys that are doing it are fantastic. Voltage, M2C, POS, and Mahkor(sp?) are especially good. The equipment and software packages are very expensive. Having a cnc milling center is expensive not only to own but to maintain. If you need to call a guy in for repairs and they are there for a couple days it is hundreds of dollars and hour. I don’t know if rc stuff is their only gig but if it is it s a slim market and I wish them well.
Subbing work out is another possibility however machine shop rates are around 100-150$ an hour depending on where you are located. If you have friends in the business and can get the friends and family discount it might be worth it. Start out by giving your brother a set of plastic chassis braces and see if his guys will make some out of aluminum.
Sorry for all these words that do not have anything to do with that extra hole...
Interesting. Thanks for sharing all the info. Maybe I'll send some plastic stuff with my dad just to see what one of his machinist friends have to say.
I appreciate your insight.

My guess? Now it doesn't matter which side of the plate is facing up when the truck is assembled. Previously, the assembler could put the top plate on upside down and the screw wouldn't line up with the brace. At that point it is probably 50/50 whether they unscrew stuff and flip the plate around, or just push the brace over till it lined up :) This new way with two holes, it doesn't matter which way the plate is facing when the assembler puts it on: they always screw the brace into the left hole, and it is good.

My guess? Now it doesn't matter which side of the plate is facing up when the truck is assembled. Previously, the assembler could put the top plate on upside down and the screw wouldn't line up with the brace. At that point it is probably 50/50 whether they unscrew stuff and flip the plate around, or just push the brace over till it lined up :) This new way with two holes, it doesn't matter which way the plate is facing when the assembler puts it on: they always screw the brace into the left hole, and it is good.
I thought the second hole was dead center, but I could be wrong?

I did agree with you until I just tried to do mine but it doesn’t work. You can see that it doesn’t

Attachments

• 234ECD3D-BE89-4FEE-92FB-C6E80C058A77.jpeg
    234ECD3D-BE89-4FEE-92FB-C6E80C058A77.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 28F47D81-8146-4FA1-A404-ACEF8A32DA53.jpeg
    28F47D81-8146-4FA1-A404-ACEF8A32DA53.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 51
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back