6S-8S XLWB & LWB Big Buggies made from Typhon, Kraton, Talion and Mojave Bits 'n Pieces

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was like reading a book in school...but not falling asleep.
Good job with the details! Typhons looking badass!
Thanks! Hahaha. I keep good notes LOL and im sure this will help people learning as I am.
Top lessoned learned already.
don't be "precious" with the RC cars. Use them as intended which means don't be afraid to scratch it or break it!
Frankenstiens are Fun and the BEST way to learn first hand how things effect each other. And make YOUR car, your own.
The stock plastic parts are your friend! They are strong, light and cheap to replace. They also provide "breaking" points that save other components that cost more to replace.

I just ordered the Kraton EXB LWB chassis and other Kraton parts i'll need to lengthen the Typhon.
I also have different Springs for the shocks (Mohave rear shocks/springs for the rear and Typhon 6S rear shocks/springs for the front, will likely do).

The Kraton Arms are really very wide! Looks odd with Hoons. Wheelbase Needs to be longer. And I really like the open suspension look of a Buggy compared to a Truck Body that covers it all up.

And I can go back to a stock Typhon anytime I want or just use all the extra parts to build another. LOL

Stock Typhon A-Arms in the front, Kraton A-Arms in the back with 107 Hoons.
IMG_2590.jpeg

IMG_2592.jpeg

Stock Typhon A-Arms in the front, Kraton A-Arms in the back with 2.8 Bandito MT's. They look small!
IMG_2594.jpeg

Stock Typhon A-Arms in the front, Kraton A-Arms in the back with 2.8 Sixpack MT's on the Left and 3.8 Copperhead 2's on the RIght.
IMG_2583.jpeg

Makes the Granite look small.
IMG_2603.jpeg

Thanks! Hahaha. I keep good notes LOL and im sure this will help people learning as I am.
Top lessoned learned already.
don't be "precious" with the RC cars. Use them as intended which means don't be afraid to scratch it or break it!
Frankenstiens are Fun and the BEST way to learn first hand how things effect each other. And make YOUR car, your own.
The stock plastic parts are your friend! They are strong, light and cheap to replace. They also provide "breaking" points that save other components that cost more to replace.

I just ordered the Kraton EXB LWB chassis and other Kraton parts i'll need to lengthen the Typhon.
I also have different Springs for the shocks (Mohave rear shocks/springs for the rear and Typhon 6S rear shocks/springs for the front, will likely do).

The Kraton Arms are really very wide! Looks odd with Hoons. Wheelbase Needs to be longer. And I really like the open suspension look of a Buggy compared to a Truck Body that covers it all up.

And I can go back to a stock Typhon anytime I want or just use all the extra parts to build another. LOL

Stock Typhon A-Arms in the front, Kraton A-Arms in the back with 107 Hoons.
View attachment 230537
View attachment 230543

Stock Typhon A-Arms in the front, Kraton A-Arms in the back with 2.8 Bandito MT's. They look small!
View attachment 230538

Stock Typhon A-Arms in the front, Kraton A-Arms in the back with 2.8 Sixpack MT's on the Left and 3.8 Copperhead 2's on the RIght.
View attachment 230539

Makes the Granite look small.
View attachment 230544
I love me some wide stance RC's!:love:

Upgrade in progress...

Im 75-80% Kraton at this point. Just have the Typhon 6S towers, Dif's and Body left.

Setup is:
FIRMA 4074 2050Kv / FIRMA 150A
18t pinion / 50t spur
43t/13t Stock Difs - 80k +/- front, 100k /+ center. 60k +/- rear

Shocks: (still tuning these)
F: 16x 54mm / spring 85mm 1.09N/mm
R: 16x 61mm / 110mm 0.56N/mm (likely replace with 95mm 0.87N/mm springs)
1000cst F/ 800cst R oil

Kraton EXB LWB Chassis (CNC 7075)
Kraton EXB A-Arms and Hubs and sway-bars.
Kraton Driveshafts.
Kraton Screws, Hardware Kit, Trim and Accessories, Wing and brace mounts.
Kraton Copperhead 2 tires 3.8
Accessories to adapt Typhon body

IMG_2629.jpeg

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2636.jpeg

IMG_2663.jpeg

IMG_2657.jpg

IMG_2666.jpeg

IMG_2665.jpeg

IMG_2675.jpeg

IMG_2674.jpeg

Last edited:
@fish ...

Your guide and write up are 10/10 for detail and information, I thought I put a lot of tips and info into my build threads but you sir have gone above and beyond..!!
I hope this thread helps many people with their experimental builds..👍🏼

@fish ...

Your guide and write up are 10/10 for detail and information, I thought I put a lot of tips and info into my build threads but you sir have gone above and beyond..!!
I hope this thread helps many people with their experimental builds..👍🏼
Thanks. Its fun and how I think and learn too.

PLEASE Add to it ;-) Im sure its a big time help for people getting into it.

I Welcome Criticism and Alternative ways and suggestion!

Although I learn allot of that first hand and as i curse myself. LOL

Last edited:
IMG_2679.jpeg

IMG_2678.jpeg

Did some test runs... Not all tightened down yet, just snug till Im done. Still needs Bumpers put on. I have Kraton EXB for front and RPM for rear.
MUCH less wheelies, more controlled. Powerful and Fast so far with the Typhon Final Drive Ration and 18t pinion.
Im going to also try the XLWB chassis.

Learned most of this from you guys - cheers!

Last edited:
HAHA Thanks but god no, im just sharing. Helps out people getting into it and some just need a quick damn answer LOL. Lots of very good and knowledgeable people out there to learn from. And fun is figuring things out. This is relaxing too yet still puzzle-like challenges.

This is TEST-01 to shake things out. Got more parts on the way too. Including more quality tools!! Tools are your best friend, keep the best around you.

Shock Oil: 1x2x8 piston 600 CST Front / 1x2x8 piston 500 CST Rear (Stock 6S: F/R 550cst oil, Pistons: 1x2x8 front / 1x4x8 Rear)

Camber between -1 and -2 (how can you really know?!? Please!) F/B. Slight Toe-out Front, default toe-in Rear. Theres addjustments that need to be made between tire types; right now im looking for a compromise for quick swaps.

Gear Boxes: Stock, untouched. Center was leaking out of the box new and still is (2 weeks used). Doing that next.

ESC is Default for now as im familiar. So default Punch.

The FlySky GT5A Controler is New to me.
EXP S 0%
EXP TH F 50%
EXP TH R 0%

ABS: On
SMT: off
BRK: 100%
DLY: 0%
CYC: 45%
TGP: 50%
DTY: 0%

SVS: On
St Gain 50%
Th Gain: 0%
Priority: 50%

Duratrax Sixpack MT Belt 2.8" Mounted Front/Rear Tires .5 Offset 17mm
Wheel Width: 2.8" (70.2mm) | overall diameter: 5.4" (136.4mm) | Wheel hex: 17mm, 2.13 lbs/quad (241gm/each, 965gm/quad)

Duratrax Bandito MT Belt 2.8" Mounted Front/Rear Tires, .5 Offset 17mm
Wheel Width: 2.8" (70.2mm) | overall diameter: 5.3" (135mm) | Wheel hex: 17mm, 2.2 lbs/quad (250.5gm/each, 1002gm/quad)

ARRMA dBoots Katar db0825ax (stock Typhon 6S) for comparison
Wheel Width: 1.7" (44mm) | overall diameter: 4.6" (117mm) | Wheel hex: 17mm, 1.05 lbs/quad (118.75 gm/each, 475gm/quad)

Duratrax Bandito Tire C2
Wheel Width: 1.8" (45mm) | overall diameter: 4.2" (107mm) | Wheel hex: 17mm, 1.6 lbs/quad (528gm/quad)

ARRMA dBoots db0828AX 2-ho (stock Typhon 3S) for comparison
Wheel Width: 1.7" (44mm) | overall diameter: 4.6" (117mm) | Wheel hex: 17mm, 0.91 lbs/quad (414gm/quad)

6S Truggy New Weight: 9.1 lbs (4132gm)

View attachment 224533
View attachment 224520
View attachment 224532
View attachment 224524View attachment 224526

View attachment 224529View attachment 224530

I SAID I was gonna let the grass Grow! Im busy.
View attachment 224531

OMG she looks so Tuff brother, great job!!!

TRUE! Thank heavens this is a small and sleepy town.

So speaking of breaks...

Since new the Typhon 3S breaks on a dime! Nearly locks up the wheels. I love it.
Since new the Typhon 6S hardly breaks at all. Terrible. Ive only turned up the breaking in the SkyFly controller to 100%. Haven't messed with the ESC yet. I Just ordered the Spectrum programmer so I can update the firmware and the settings more easily.

Whats with the Breaks on the 6S? Or the lack of them.

I Just, last night, changed out the center diff oil with 100k. Haven't run it yet.

Typhon 6S with Kraton A-Arms and Hubs, running DBoots COPPERHEAD 2's
BIG Tire! Wheel Width: 3.8" (97mm) | overall diameter: 6.5" (169mm) | Wheel hex: 17mm, 3.28lbs/quad (1.49kg)
not running yet, waiting for some more parts. soon.
Its a bit too wide for its length in my opinion. we'll see how it runs. Likely do a long wheelbase chassis next.

View attachment 230454
I have the wide Talion/Kraton Arms on a road Stretch I built. Here is a pick.

IMG_20220709_161306~2.jpg

I have the wide Talion/Kraton Arms on a road Stretch I built. Here is a pick.

View attachment 231287

Nice. Those 107's? 100's? I have them to try too. Haven't them yet.

I have Many parts to build another Typhon. Im likely going to make it a LWB GT style on-road car. Love the buggy look too.

Took it out for a test run.
Had a Few runs up and down the block then my 6S hit LVC and the other wasn't charged :-/
So I ran 4S (2) Hoovo 2S 80c 5200's from 4.17v/c to LVC in maybe 15 min. They were at charge for a week.

The Nose is dipping too much still. im using 84mm M 56.6gf (3.17lb/in) springs. Ordered some 85mm 1.09N/mm (6.2lb/in) springs that didn't arrive yet!

Its really nice, Way more compedent than the stock Typhon 6S - its different. And its more tame than the Truggified Typhon 6S which was just too short.

Gotta Loctite everything up and take it ripping over the weekend. Ordered a center bar brace im waiting for, No hard bashing till its in place.

Looking at 3.8 Street Tires too...

- Duratrax Bandito ST Belt 3.8's (135mm diam)
- Road Crusher WHD (146mm diam)
- Pro-line Racing Road Rage MT 3.8 (139 mm diam)

Do they Need to be 1/2" off-set? Id rather keep the street tires to a little more narrow profile.
Do Zero off-set rub anywhere?

As powerful and competent this new rig is, my Typhon 3S is faster! But Bad Wolf would pounce it Dead!

Some Handy Converters:

g/mm > lb/in
http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/g_mmlb_in.php

N-m > lb-in
https://www.convertunits.com/from/N-m/to/lb-in

Last edited:
Nice. Those 107's? 100's? I have them to try too. Haven't them yet.

I have Many parts to build another Typhon. Im likely going to make it a LWB GT style on-road car. Love the buggy look too.
They're 107s. They provide a few extra mph on the stick system hah and they were on sale on Amazon for like 33% off. I enjoy driving on them nice all around.

They're 107s. They provide a few extra mph on the stick system hah and they were on sale on Amazon for like 33% off. I enjoy driving on them nice all around.

Yeah, I know :rolleyes::cool: I picked up sets of 107's in both White and Gold and 100's in White too - was a good sale. Also Got the Kraton Tires for 50% off.

Im shopping these Road Crusher WHD's people rave about. $25/tire.
146mm (5.75") diameter. Id rather not use the off-set, its wide enough as a gt, I think.
78efdc_119c8fefb6fe4a10bbbd7960e157d3bc~mv2-2.jpg

Yeah, I know :rolleyes::cool: I picked up sets of 107's in both White and Gold and 100's in White too - was a good sale. Also Got the Kraton Tires for 50% off.

Im shopping these Road Crusher WHD's people rave about. $25/tire.
146mm (5.75") diameter. Id rather not use the off-set, its wide enough as a gt, I think.
View attachment 231379
Ooohhhhh liky liky. I'd like those on my Kraton for some speed bashing. Nice look too.

Shock Towers!
All so different.

Fork in the Road:

The Kraphon 6S is going to get a XLWB chassis and the LWB one its on now is going to another build, a stretched GT-Buggy.

Now Im deciding on Shock towers for either.

Im leaning towards using the Typhon Towers for the stretched GT-Buggy.

What to use for Bad Wolf (Kraphon)? I can stick with another set of Typhon towers but im more so leaning towards Kraton ones.
We'll then go from a Kraphon to a Stretched Kraton 6S with Typhon Difs (and those straight cut gears) although i think the GP4 LSD's belong in a Stretched Kraton.
In which case Bad Wold will become the Stretched GT-Buggy and the Stretched Kraton will get a Kraton Body and just be a Kraton. Although thats too easy lol

AND WHO is mixing and not matching towers? No real reason Not to mix it up?

Shock Towers.jpg

Last edited:
Shock Towers!
All so different.

Fork in the Road:

The Kraphon 6S is going to get a XLWB chassis and the LWB one its on now is going to another build, a stretched GT-Buggy.

Now Im deciding on Shock towers for either.

Im leaning towards using the Typhon Towers for the stretched GT-Buggy.

What to use for Bad Wolf (Kraphon)? I can stick with another set of Typhon towers but im more so leaning towards Kraton ones.
We'll then go from a Kraphon to a Stretched Kraton 6S with Typhon Difs (and those straight cut gears) although i think the GP4 LSD's belong in a Stretched Kraton.
In which case Bad Wold will become the Stretched GT-Buggy and the Stretched Kraton will get a Kraton Body and just be a Kraton. Although thats too easy lol

AND WHO is mixing and not matching towers? No real reason Not to mix it up?

View attachment 231596
I used Talion towers with Talion shocks as I like the oil in them, feel plush. The size is somewhere between the Typhon and the Limitless front why I went with the Talions. I did not thing of mixing and matching towers and shocks, thought I would have fitment issues. Whats the buggy for bashing or speed running?
Took it out for a test run.
Had a Few runs up and down the block then my 6S hit LVC and the other wasn't charged :-/
So I ran 4S (2) Hoovo 2S 80c 5200's from 4.17v/c to LVC in maybe 15 min. They were at charge for a week.

The Nose is dipping too much still. im using 84mm M 56.6gf (3.17lb/in) springs. Ordered some 85mm 1.09N/mm (6.2lb/in) springs that didn't arrive yet!

Its really nice, Way more compedent than the stock Typhon 6S - its different. And its more tame than the Truggified Typhon 6S which was just too short.

Gotta Loctite everything up and take it ripping over the weekend. Ordered a center bar brace im waiting for, No hard bashing till its in place.

Looking at 3.8 Street Tires too...

- Duratrax Bandito ST Belt 3.8's (135mm diam)
- Road Crusher WHD (146mm diam)
- Pro-line Racing Road Rage MT 3.8 (139 mm diam)

Do they Need to be 1/2" off-set? Id rather keep the street tires to a little more narrow profile.
Do Zero off-set rub anywhere?

As powerful and competent this new rig is, my Typhon 3S is faster! But Bad Wolf would pounce it Dead!

Some Handy Converters:

g/mm > lb/in
http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/g_mmlb_in.php

N-m > lb-in
https://www.convertunits.com/from/N-m/to/lb-in
On the dipping have you considered limiting the travle on the fron shocks? She looks funs a balls!!!

On my WCB I'm using Talion towers with Typhon shocks and arms 🤔 it doesn't really work and I've had to limit the shocks so it doesn't bottom out and smash everything..!!🤣🤣
(Disclaimer: the WCB was/is an experimental parking lot basher not really intended for off road duties..👍🏼😉)

On my WCB I'm using Talion towers with Typhon shocks and arms 🤔 it doesn't really work and I've had to limit the shocks so it doesn't bottom out and smash everything..!!🤣🤣
(Disclaimer: the WCB was/is an experimental parking lot basher not really intended for off road duties..👍🏼😉)
Yeah, I can see that. The Talion towers are just to short for them.

I took it out a few times this week to the park fields with 85mm (6.91lbf/in) (ARA330780) springs in the front and its Great, what I wanted from them BUT in the rear the Mojave EXB REAR Shocks with 110mm (3.2lbf/in) springs are Not enough and bottoming out at higher throttle. Im trying 95mm (5.0lb/in) (ARAC8929) springs next. Im expecting them to work out nicely with these shock sizes and Typhon towers.

It Really SAILS Over the Grass!! Fast as hell too. Im getting much higher throttle than ever before. Well, excpet the stock buggy tires but they just spin at high speed and you don't get the same speed over grass! I also see too much balloning with the Copperhead 2's. They say they are belted? I don't think so. Need a better less Ballooning 3.8 tire.
I haven't clocked it yet but im expecting 55-70 mph over a park field. Thats fast but I want to get as close to 100mph as I can - over grass on 3.8 tires.
People see it and are amazed how fast it moves across the entire park LOL
I think its more than a pound lighter than a Kraton. Not sure. What Arrma claims and what I weight are different.

Theres are other springs that are Black not Chrome. I don't know much about.
95mm 1.00N/mm (5.71lb/in) (ARA330762)
95mm 1.08N/mm (6.17lb/in) (ARA330763)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back