Kraton 7600mah LiPo battery but the charger maxes out at 7amps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
I have a quick question I was hoping to get answered. I’ve done plenty of research but I’ve found one post that answere the question and I’m not sure if it’s right or not..

I bought LiPo 3s 7600 75c batteries to add to my 3s 5200 50c set.

When I bought my charger from a hobby shop I was informed that it could charge any mah battery I wanted. So when I started shopping for bigger batteries I didn’t limit myself. First charge attempt on the new 7600mah batteries I’ve realized the charger only charges up to 7amps. Which is ok I guess if it’s my only option for now. But my question is “I read on a forum that if a charger only charges at 7amps and the battery holds 7.6 mah. That it’s safe and alright to charge the battery.

Edit

Solved my question and I wasn’t even thinking straight when I asked it ?

Last edited:
7A is the charge rate. What voltage do the cells end up at when you charge? Your battery is not fully depeleted (that is bad for Lipo batteries) when LVC kicks in, what you want to pay attention to is the voltage the cells end up at. A fully charged Lipo cell is 4.2v.

7A is the charge rate. What voltage do the cells end up at when you charge? Your battery is not fully depeleted (that is bad for Lipo batteries) when LVC kicks in, what you want to pay attention to is the voltage the cells end up at. A fully charged Lipo cell is 4.2v.

The battery meter on the charger is saying 4.2 across the 3 cells. But how can it be full if it’s only charging at 7amps. Or am I just completely backwards on it lol. Does charging at 7amp vs 7.6 just mean it would take a little longer than normal?

Thank you
Pretty sure I just got that wrong haha. I don’t know what I was thinking when I realized it only went to 7amps

What charger do you have? You need about 100w to charge a 3s 7600mah lipo at 7.6amps.

The battery meter on the charger is saying 4.2 across the 3 cells.

It is being charged to full capacity in that case.

Does charging at 7amp vs 7.6 just mean it would take a little longer than normal?

Correct, if you charge at 7A it would take about an hour to charge a 7000mah battery. A 7600mah would take a little longer.

You can charge that at 1 amp if you want.
Mah is the size of the gas tank
Charger amp is how big the pump is.
It will just take a little longer.

What charger do you have? You need about 100w to charge a 3s 7600mah lipo at 7.6amps.

I have the Venom Duo charger atm. Believe it’s 75x2

I plan on buying a bigger and better charger though. Because I do intend on getting a couple 6s batteries. And even though I was told this would charge anything I could get. It can not but that’s my own mistake. New to the electric platform. I’ll be learning as I go

I have the Venom Duo charger atm. Believe it’s 75x2

I plan on buying a bigger and better charger though. Because I do intend on getting a couple 6s batteries. And even though I was told this would charge anything I could get. It can not but that’s my own mistake. New to the electric platform. I’ll be learning as I go
It can. Just not quickly. It is fully capable of charging any 1-6S lipo pack. But if your pack exceeds it's max, it will still charge it, it will just take longer than it would if you had a charger capable of charging at 1C.

A 6S 5000mah pack charged at 1C requires 5A and 111watts.

Your 7600mah pack charged at 1C requires 7.6A and 84.36 watts.
Your 5200mah pack charged at 1C requires 5.2A and 68.82 watts.

The venom pro duo is capable of 7A x 2/80W x 2. That's the max it will output, but it can charge packs that can take more than that, it will just take longer to do it.

It can. Just not quickly. It is fully capable of charging any 1-6S lipo pack. But if your pack exceeds it's max, it will still charge it, it will just take longer than it would if you had a charger capable of charging at 1C.

The venom pro duo is capable of 7A x 2/80W x 2. That's the max it will output, but it can charge packs that can take more than that, it will just take longer to do it.

Thank you. I wish the shop I went to would have explained it like that when I bought my charger haha. Basically my words were “I plan on buying a couple 6s 7-8000 mah batteries. And that I wanted a charger that was made to charge them”. And then they give me my current charger ?

I couldn’t really pick anything out though. The hobby store doesn’t have a online store and the actual store is closed until everything opens back up because of the whole covid issues atm. Sadly I had to let them throw a package together and do a curb side pick up but if I had done my research first I could have also been more clear on what I wanted.

I’m sure this has been stated but I haven’t read all the posts. Think of the amp rate as water faucet valve. The higher the amp rate, the more open the valve which flows more water and vice versa. So in terms of it filling the sink (battery), the valve will eventually fill the sink but the rate is dependent upon the valve position.

This may or may not make sense. Hope it does lol. It does in my head lol.

Thank you. I wish the shop I went to would have explained it like that when I bought my charger haha. Basically my words were “I plan on buying a couple 6s 7-8000 mah batteries. And that I wanted a charger that was made to charge them”. And then they give me my current charger ?

I couldn’t really pick anything out though. The hobby store doesn’t have a online store and the actual store is closed until everything opens back up because of the whole covid issues atm. Sadly I had to let them throw a package together and do a curb side pick up but if I had done my research first I could have also been more clear on what I wanted.
That does stink.

Typically, we shoot for charging our packs at 1C. Some can take more than that, but most can take at least that. Charging faster shortens the life of the pack (marginally in some instances), so for sake of battery life, 1C - 1.5C is where I charge mine. 2C at most on some of them, depending on the charger I plug them into, I have a couple.

I’m sure this has been stated but I haven’t read all the posts. Think of the amp rate as water faucet valve. The higher the amp rate, the more open the valve which flows more water and vice versa. So in terms of it filling the sink (battery), the valve will eventually fill the sink but the rate is dependent upon the valve position.

This may or may not make sense. Hope it does lol. It does in my head lol.
Adding to the above, voltage is the water pressure. Amperage is the size of the pipe/valve. Total volume is Watts.

I usually add in 20% of the total wattage to account for inefficiency in the psu that is why I said about 100w.

That does stink.

Typically, we shoot for charging our packs at 1C. Some can take more than that, but most can take at least that. Charging faster shortens the life of the pack (marginally in some instances), so for sake of battery life, 1C - 1.5C is where I charge mine. 2C at most on some of them, depending on the charger I plug them into, I have a couple.
Having more than 1 charger is nice I use my Hitec X2 400 to charge my bigger batteries and my Thunder AC680 to charge the batteries for minis.

Having more than 1 charger is nice I use my Hitec X2 400 to charge my bigger batteries and my Thunder AC680 to charge the batteries for minis.
Yeah, or one really big one and run all the same packs so you can parallel charge. I use my 4x100/4x10A to charge up my 5000mah 3S packs. I set it to 10A, but it limits itself around 8A because it hits the wattage ceiling. On my other main charger, it does 2x200/2x20A and I use it to parallel charge 2 6200mah 3S packs on each port at 15A. So both are charging at a bit more than 1C. My 3rd charger is a NiMH charger I use to charge my remote while the lipo's charge.

I also have a 2x12A/2x150W in my car and a isdt q6+ with a parallel board in my car to run off the battery.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have 2 or 3 of the isdt T6's (more amps/watts than the d6 plus) with a DC psu in the house and a couple of them in my car. I'd parallel charge on all of them with at least pairs of packs since I pretty much run dual packs in everything but my smaller 3S trucks, even in those, I run the same 3S packs always in them while reserving paired 3S packs for my 6S trucks that I always keep in the same pair. Then if a charger died, it wouldn't be such an expense.

Last edited:
Yeah, or one really big one and run all the same packs so you can parallel charge. I use my 4x100/4x10A to charge up my 5000mah 3S packs. I set it to 10A, but it limits itself around 8A because it hits the wattage ceiling. On my other main charger, it does 2x200/2x20A and I use it to parallel charge 2 6200mah 3S packs on each port at 15A. So both are charging at a bit more than 1C. My 3rd charger is a NiMH charger I use to charge my remote while the lipo's charge.

I also have a 2x12A/2x150W in my car and a isdt q6+ with a parallel board in my car to run off the battery.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have 2 or 3 of the isdt T6's (more amps/watts than the d6 plus) with a DC psu in the house and a couple of them in my car. I'd parallel charge on all of them with at least pairs of packs since I pretty much run dual packs in everything but my smaller 3S trucks, even in those, I run the same 3S packs always in them while reserving paired 3S packs for my 6S trucks that I always keep in the same pair. Then if a charger died, it wouldn't be such an expense.
I went for that setup, it's worth it!

20200405_081512.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back