8s exb kraton steering and throttle " brown out" issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onnexx

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton 4s
  4. Talion
  5. Typhon 6s
Hello all, thanks to the many heads up on deals from tower hobbies and HH, I was able to grab an EXB Kraton 8s and outfit it with a hobbywing max5 and spektrum 1100kv motor. Using a pair of socokin 6500mah(100c) batteries until the new 9500mah ones arrive and dumborc radio and receiver. primal rc steering servo with bec set to 7.4v and punch setting at 3.

The issue is that at some point during the run, the truck will lose steering and the throttle will stick with whatever the last throttle input was for about 1.5 to 2 seconds before returning like nothing happened. it has happened 4 times at low speed and twice at high speed and only happens once during a run. i have tried to add a "glitch buster" to no avail and i don't have any larger batteries yet to see if its a voltage drop issue but the fact that it happens regardless of speed (whether i was just on power or not seems to make no difference) or duration of run has me a bit stumped. current gearing is 29/47(29 was all i had at the time so maybe overgeared but with lower kv motor maybe not im not sure). my biggest issue is this is my first 1/5 scale rig and im learning quickly that these trucks are a completely different animal ths
An anything else ive handled up to now(xmaxx and fireteam seem like toys in comparison)

Im probably being an idiot and missing something simple but wanted to ask here as i don't like the idea of a potential 30 pound, 50mph ballistic missle any time in my future. thanks for any help!

Hello all, thanks to the many heads up on deals from tower hobbies and HH, I was able to grab an EXB Kraton 8s and outfit it with a hobbywing max5 and spektrum 1100kv motor. Using a pair of socokin 6500mah(100c) batteries until the new 9500mah ones arrive and dumborc radio and receiver. primal rc steering servo with bec set to 7.4v and punch setting at 3.

The issue is that at some point during the run, the truck will lose steering and the throttle will stick with whatever the last throttle input was for about 1.5 to 2 seconds before returning like nothing happened. it has happened 4 times at low speed and twice at high speed and only happens once during a run. i have tried to add a "glitch buster" to no avail and i don't have any larger batteries yet to see if its a voltage drop issue but the fact that it happens regardless of speed (whether i was just on power or not seems to make no difference) or duration of run has me a bit stumped. current gearing is 29/47(29 was all i had at the time so maybe overgeared but with lower kv motor maybe not im not sure). my biggest issue is this is my first 1/5 scale rig and im learning quickly that these trucks are a completely different animal ths
An anything else ive handled up to now(xmaxx and fireteam seem like toys in comparison)

Im probably being an idiot and missing something simple but wanted to ask here as i don't like the idea of a potential 30 pound, 50mph ballistic missle any time in my future. thanks for any help!
I have got a Primal rc 1373 in my Kraton 8s RTR with stock electronics and it never glitches out.

Sounds like a faulty receiver or ESC, but I'm not expert.

Have you tried a rebind and throttle calibration ?

@SrC maybe you could help ?

@Onnexx, you never stated what Radio/Rx you have there. Can't rule out a bad Rx/Tx yet.
Did you calibrate the ESC to the Radio after you did a Tx/Rx "Bind"?
I also was questioning a Range issue with the Tx/Rx. Antenna lead needs to be setup properly perhaps if range is an issue. Process of eliminating what components are causing your issues. You can also try dropping BEC down if possible. To see there is any difference. If so, the ESC's BEC circuit could be at fault.
Need more info stated above. :cool:

Stated dumborc but forgot specifics. DUMBORC X6 with gyro. bound new receiver then calibrated throttle with new esc. range is actually best ive had with a transmitter, however the brown outs haven't been range specific has happened right next to me and across the field. will borrow an slt3 w/sr315 receiver from friend and try it to see if that is the problem later today

Thanks for the replies

Stated dumborc but forgot specifics. DUMBORC X6 with gyro. bound new receiver then calibrated throttle with new esc. range is actually best ive had with a transmitter, however the brown outs haven't been range specific has happened right next to me and across the field. will borrow an slt3 w/sr315 receiver from friend and try it to see if that is the problem later today

Thanks for the replies
My Kraton 8s has a DX3 with SR315 receiver, Stock kraton receiver is garbage.

Not trying to keep the slt3, just need to use it to figure out if dumborc x6 radio is the weak link that is causing the brown outs. After that if it is the receiver i can choose any of a number of MUCH better radios than stock.(maybe sanwa or futaba, hell even a flysky)
Thanks for the reply!

Ok so it looks like there was an issue with the throttle sub-trim knob on the dumborc x6 receiver that would kick in after I let off the throttle. Works fine now but i think im going to switch to digital receiver for this truck, as i don't want to have to worry about aging knobs and such.

Thank you guys for the replies, suggestions and help!

P.S. also found the steering dual rste was stuck at 75. that primal rc servo is a monster at full power.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back