8s rigs 10mm shock alternative?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone use the max 5 with 800kv motor
just looking for good gearing
running Max5/800kV at the moment:
- with the stock wheels I've geared up to 39/39: ESC has no problem, motor can get warm when it's hot outside but you do need beefy lipos. My cheapo Chinese 8000mAh struggle with this gearing.
- with bigger wheels I don't gear beyond 39/47: the extra grip of the bigger nobby tires already launch it like a missile and generate enough stress on the drivetrain

running Max5/800kV at the moment:
- with the stock wheels I've geared up to 39/39: ESC has no problem, motor can get warm when it's hot outside but you do need beefy lipos. My cheapo Chinese 8000mAh struggle with this gearing.
- with bigger wheels I don't gear beyond 39/47: the extra grip of the bigger nobby tires already launch it like a missile and generate enough stress on the drivetrain
thx and have you used the new exb kraton big block tires on the outcast and if so what is better

thx and have you used the new exb kraton big block tires on the outcast and if so what is better
The EXB tires are great on the Outcast. I have all the belted tires, Prolines, & most of the Rovan tires. The belted tires are terrible for air bashing, backflips, & any type of jumping in general. You have very limited air control since they don't balloon as much. I would only use them on the ground for high speed ripping & running, although the Badlands & Powerhobby tires are too heavy for large gearing above 39/47 or 34/39. I'm running max5/780-800kv in all my trucks. When it comes to the EXB tires you can do up to 39/39 or 1 to 1, but you will need good cooling. The sweet spot for those tires is 34/39. They are the best tires for these rigs, but people are ripping them since they stick with the stock 100k front/rear. I upped mine to 1mil front/rear & haven't had a single blowout in any truck since. The trucks are also far too heavy for it too have any effect on steering. As for the Trenchers & Rovan MTs, I stick with 34/47. I only run those tires when I do a lot of jumping.

have any of you guys bent or broken the shaft or other parts of the 10 mm shocks

have any of you guys bent or broken the shaft or other parts of the 10 mm shocks
i have bent the shock rod end (bent it back) i have heard of others breaking the shock rod end under extreme scenarios

I have had the pivot ball retainers come loose regularly and if you don't catch it, and run multiple times you can oblong the opening.

I'm not sure what scenario would ever cause the shock rod to bend. i would be shocked if that ever happens

I'm not sure what scenario would ever cause the shock rod to bend. i would be shocked if that ever happens
Maybe 8oz of C4 & a detonator ;)
I broke a rod end on a double backflip landing point blank on a rear wheel - but I do tend to wreck my rigs every now & then just so I can beef them up (even re-modding mods) so take it with a grain of salt. Now my shocks look like this:

20210422_111035.jpg

Yeah, the rod end is steel & the same diameter as the shock body. . .

Maybe 8oz of C4 & a detonator ;)

I broke a rod end on a double backflip landing point blank on a rear wheel - but I do tend to wreck my rigs every now & then just so I can beef them up (even re-modding mods) so take it with a grain of salt. Now my shocks look like this:

View attachment 145269

Yeah, the rod end is steel & the same diameter as the shock body. . .
is it welded?

hey on rpm's web site it says the a arms might need modification for the exb shocks is that true for the rovens too

hey on rpm's web site it says the a arms might need modification for the exb shocks is that true for the rovens too
I have not had to make any modifications of the rpm arms for the rovan shocks. i do drill out the hinge pin holes to loosen up the hinge action but that has nothing to do with the shocks
thanks man. BTW i saw your video with your newest version of the rear upper links that you created. would you consider selling them like you do your wingmounts? how much heavier are they vs the stock setup?

I have not had to make any modifications of the rpm arms for the rovan shocks. i do drill out the hinge pin holes to loosen up the hinge action but that has nothing to do with the shocks

thanks man. BTW i saw your video with your newest version of the rear upper links that you created. would you consider selling them like you do your wingmounts? how much heavier are they vs the stock setup?
Scale died. It is significantly heavier than the 6mm helms I'm using for the fronts. I don't have any stock plastic ends left. I even cracked both rear EXB inner ends. As for selling them, they're not bolt-on's. They were bending both the M4 & M5 bolts (even on the EXB's plastic hubs & tower) so I drilled out both the hub & tower to 6mm, found some 6x8x10 bushings, 35mm M6 bolts & nuts, M12 & 1/4" washers to sandwich the helm on the tower - & that was just the stuff used to attach them. The link itself is relatively cheap to make, minus the stupid CF tube. But the rest of the stuff makes it completely unrealistic to try to sell them, not to mention that I bought the last of the M8 bolts I used for the turnbuckles.

Scale died. It is significantly heavier than the 6mm helms I'm using for the fronts. I don't have any stock plastic ends left. I even cracked both rear EXB inner ends. As for selling them, they're not bolt-on's. They were bending both the M4 & M5 bolts (even on the EXB's plastic hubs & tower) so I drilled out both the hub & tower to 6mm, found some 6x8x10 bushings, 35mm M6 bolts & nuts, M12 & 1/4" washers to sandwich the helm on the tower - & that was just the stuff used to attach them. The link itself is relatively cheap to make, minus the stupid CF tube. But the rest of the stuff makes it completely unrealistic to try to sell them, not to mention that I bought the last of the M8 bolts I used for the turnbuckles.
cool thanks! yea i just wish they would release the exb ones so we can buy them

cool thanks! yea i just wish they would release the exb ones so we can buy them
I wanted to wait for them too since they worked so well with the 8mm helms, but I was breaking everything else. Maybe we'll have them by Jan of next year . . .

do you know if the rod ends on the Rovan shocks are normal thread or reversed? i tried getting one off and it was not budging. i was trying to see if i could shorten the rod end to make it the same lenght as the K8S front shocks. they might be red loctited on or something. i'll try heat next time

do you know if the rod ends on the Rovan shocks are normal thread or reversed? i tried getting one off and it was not budging. i was trying to see if i could shorten the rod end to make it the same lenght as the K8S front shocks. they might be red loctited on or something. i'll try heat next time
. . . Enough RED loctite to make Arrma proud & then some. It has the normal right-hand thread. But the rod end is only threaded about 14mm deep.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back