8s rigs 10mm shock alternative?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't bother with GPM, the only stuff on that shock that is decent are the springs . . . It's the middle one :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 131040

BTW, I was easily up 20ft+ when my Kraton plowed into the ground on one wheel & all I bent was the CVD. The 10mm shafts with the RPM arms rolled away from that :oops: There's no way I'd recommend any other setup after seeing that - too bad I snapped a crappy turnbuckle on a pathetic little stuffed jump right after that.

Awesome! So Rovan shocks look like a winner and can take my insane jumps 🤣👍. Thanks. And the Rovan shocks are out of stock. I sure hope that the 6mm EXB shock shafts don't bend like the GPM ones did. That would suck big time. I have a feeling that they might with huge jumps though. I saw JT take a couple of big ones, but it was only like two.

Last edited:
Sorry i’m i little late to the party and maybe missed something.
These shocks are a great find!
I’ve owned a HPI Baja and know the shock oil used is real Petroleum Fork Oil, not silicon oil. Rovans are a clone right?

D3F040C7-4FD9-4936-BC53-1F3936181180.jpeg

What spring weight is being recommended for the Rovan shocks?

**Edit I am an idiot and didn't read the first post enough lol*

Last edited:
Awesome! So Rovan shocks look like a winner and can take my insane jumps 🤣👍. Thanks. And the Rovan shocks are out of stock. I sure hope that the 6mm EXB shock shafts don't bend like the GPM ones did. That would suck big time. I have a feeling that they might with huge jumps though. I saw JT take a couple of big ones, but it was only like two.
6mm huh, baby steps don't entertain me anymore. The only weaknesses my rig has are the stock parts I'm not smart enough to replace. I might give ;the EXB turnbuckles a shot if my next solution fails. But, I'll stick with the stock CVDs for now. You can even fix them with vice grips & a BFH if you don't have a vice. The GPMs are utter trash. I also thought about the titanium but simple metallurgy kills that. The joint wear faster than because titanium is no where near as dense as the steel of the coupling insert. So you have the insert grinding the hole larger & wrecking the CVD. No useless expensive bling for me. I'll just carry on unbending my CVDs & buy new stock ones as needed.

BTW, Ali has the shock if you don't want to wait for the next blue moon for Rovan to get them back in stock, I got my last order from them in 12 days: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32910243792.html?

6mm huh, baby steps don't entertain me anymore. The only weaknesses my rig has are the stock parts I'm not smart enough to replace. I might give ;the EXB turnbuckles a shot if my next solution fails. But, I'll stick with the stock CVDs for now. You can even fix them with vice grips & a BFH if you don't have a vice. The GPMs are utter trash. I also thought about the titanium but simple metallurgy kills that. The joint wear faster than because titanium is no where near as dense as the steel of the coupling insert. So you have the insert grinding the hole larger & wrecking the CVD. No useless expensive bling for me. I'll just carry on unbending my CVDs & buy new stock ones as needed.

BTW, Ali has the shock if you don't want to wait for the next blue moon for Rovan to get them back in stock, I got my last order from them in 12 days: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32910243792.html?
Screw it! I put an order for an EXB today. I noticed that the shock rod ends are WAY BIGGER than the stock ones. I might have to stop jumping these beasts into concrete though. I kind of needed a new chassis, body and tires for my Outcast 8s anyways. That would have been around $400 all together no? And the diff, which was another $42 from Jenny's rc. I might just steal the electronics from my Outcast and slam them on the EXB and abandon my beat up Outcast for a while 🤔.

They are, which is partly why they're out of stock. Looks like you got one of the last sets. Hopefully Rovan will stop dishing out the duds & wait for the shipment of new wheels. I was thinking about waiting until then since $70 for some rims is a bit nuts. The shipper the supplier uses is ridiculous.
why not just buy a whole new set? bmt's on ebay looks like they jacked the price up.. i bought mine for 130 i think
Sorry i’m i little late to the party and maybe missed something.
These shocks are a great find!
I’ve owned a HPI Baja and know the shock oil used is real Petroleum Fork Oil, not silicon oil. Rovans are a clone right?

View attachment 131122
Thanks.. i did a bunch of research and stumbled on them. interesting regarding the different oil. i will have to look into that. I am not getting the behavior im looking for with my current setup, when i hit really hard it kicks the truck back up after the landing. im thinking i might need to start looking at the piston mods discussed in the beginning of this thread. @Megasty what weight are you running in your rovan shocks?

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered a set of 4 for my K8s. I was contemplating getting the exb shocks, but those beefcake 10mm shafts seem to be something else.
Thanks @aametzger & @Megasty for the time you put into this research and also sharing the infos, might contribute something once the shocks turn up.

why not just buy a whole new set? bmt's on ebay looks like they jacked the price up.. i bought mine for 130 i think
That's Rovan. They told me they only have the old rim type in stock. They sold all the updated rims first. They said they would also try to get the rim as well, so I'll wait. $75 for a set of rims is crazy.

I'm using 5000cst but with GPM springs.

Thanks.. i did a bunch of research and stumbled on them. interesting regarding the different oil. i will have to look into that. I am not getting the behavior im looking for with my current setup, when i hit really hard it kicks the truck back up after the landing. im thinking i might need to start looking at the piston mods discussed in the beginning of this thread. @Megasty what weight are you running in your rovan shocks?
I know the seals in HPI baja's (and clones i would imagine?) are designed for petroleum based oils and that the the silicon based oils have the potential to “foam”.

1615417010871.png

1615417131588.png

I know the seals in HPI baja's (and clones i would imagine?) are designed for petroleum based oils and that the the silicon based oils have the potential to “foam”.

View attachment 131316
View attachment 131317
The 10mm shock use regular silicone seals. They're too cheap to use HPI's stuff - & if they did, I would of changed them anyway.

Cool. So do these fit the O8S too? So do I get 4 front ones or something? Thanks! Edit OP stated that the fronts are about the same size as the Outcast 8s frt and rear ones 👍

Cool. So do these fit the O8S too? So do I get 4 front ones or something? Thanks! Edit OP stated that the fronts are about the same size as the Outcast 8s frt and rear ones 👍
I have them on the O8S too. They are about a cm longer than the stock shocks.

I have them on the O8S too. They are about a cm longer than the stock shocks.
Just ordered them. I also have ordered two more aluminum cases for the diffs and threw in a cheap 1/5 servo. I noticed that their shipping is way cheaper than buying through GPM directly.

Just ordered them. I also have ordered two more aluminum cases for the diffs and threw in a cheap 1/5 servo. I noticed that their shipping is way cheaper than buying through GPM directly.
There are some sickening deals there, like this thing: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001718964173.html? $25 for the orange one, I ordered 2 of them just for the heck of it & got them both - it took over a month though but who cares :ROFLMAO:

There are some sickening deals there, like this thing: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001718964173.html? $25 for the orange one, I ordered 2 of them just for the heck of it & got them both - it took over a month though but who cares :ROFLMAO:
TBH I haven't had any problems with the stock plastic stuff in the steering of my Outcast 8s. I did put the steering stuff for the O6S when I had it and ironically it had more play than the standard plastic Arrma one did. No mater how hard I screwed in the bolts, there was some weird play 🤔

TBH I haven't had any problems with the stock plastic stuff in the steering of my Outcast 8s. I did put the steering stuff for the O6S when I had it and ironically it had more play than the standard plastic Arrma one did. No mater how hard I screwed in the bolts, there was some weird play 🤔
That was the first of the stuff I broke on the K8S along with the front arms & shock shafts. Damn thing couldn't take a tumble at all back then. I didn't notice any side to side play but there was a bit up & down. I fixed it with a 1mm thick 6mm ID copper washer. The first one I bought didn't have the holes tapped for the mud guards but these last 2 did.

That was the first of the stuff I broke on the K8S along with the front arms & shock shafts. Damn thing couldn't take a tumble at all back then. I didn't notice any side to side play but there was a bit up & down. I fixed it with a 1mm thick 6mm ID copper washer. The first one I bought didn't have the holes tapped for the mud guards but these last 2 did.
Really? I've tumbled the crap out of both the K8S when I had it and the Outcast 8s even more with no broken arms or broken steering components. Weird. I've broken plenty of wing mounts though. Hehe.

Really? I've tumbled the crap out of both the K8S when I had it and the Outcast 8s even more with no broken arms or broken steering components. Weird. I've broken plenty of wing mounts though. Hehe.
I can only dream of that kind of luck. I broke a rear arm on my O8S first run within 10 seconds of turning it on. Literally wheelie-divot-cartwheel - gone :rolleyes:

I can only dream of that kind of luck. I broke a rear arm on my O8S first run within 10 seconds of turning it on. Literally wheelie-divot-cartwheel - gone :rolleyes:
Since I'm going to be beefing up my O8S with those giant shocks and gpm aluminum housing for the diffs I decided to cancel my K8S order. Hehe. And I'm still not sure about that extra 1mm on those new shock shafts 🤔. Now 10mm shock shafts? Yeah that sounds better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back